The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

This was from the baseball forum, so I want to ask it on softball to note any difference. Fed.

"Fed Rules. Bases loaded with two outs. Batter hits a high popup in front of the plate. Runner on third interferes with the catcher who is attempting to make the catch. The ball falls untouched and ends up in foul territory. My question is who leads off the next inning? The batter who hit the popup or the next batter in the lineup?"

My follow-up questions:
2) Just to clarify: If only one out in above situation with uncaught interferred fair ball that went foul, then is runner out, and batter awarded first base on fielders choice?

3) (depending on how the question above is answered) Is there anyway that a batter-runner is called out when a runner interferred thus leaving the runner safe?

4) In reverse, when can we call the lead runner out when a batter-runner interferred?
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

"My question is who leads off the next inning?"

Answer: "The batter who hit the popup."

"then is runner out, and batter awarded first base on fielders choice?"

Runner is out, foul ball, strike on batter.

"Is there anyway that a batter-runner is called out when a runner interferred thus leaving the runner safe?"

No. However, if the coach interferred, then the batter is called out.

WMB
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

WMB,
Your answer is obviously correct if the batted ball is interfered with over foul territory, but wouldn't there be a difference if the ball is "in front of the plate", ie: over fair territory? The ball is dead immediately, and therefore does not have the chance to become foul. (We can't see into the crystal ball to determine that absent the interference F2 would have touched the ball in fair territory!)

If a runner interfers with a fielder attempting to field a fair batted ball, then the runner is out and the batter is awarded first base. Therefore the batter has completed her at bat, even if the out for interference was the 3rd out. In this case the lead off would be the next batter in the batting order.

Roger Greene

[Edited by Roger Greene on Mar 24th, 2004 at 10:49 AM]
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

This is why I stick with ASA as this play would rule both runner and BR out assuming the catcher could have made the catch with normal effort.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
How do you rule both out, if there are already 2 out?
Roger
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
I really like that rule in ASA. I believe this is one of those 4 out innings, isn't it?

In Fed, I think the BR would go to 1st, the runner is out, new inning. Kinda like when a hit ball hits a baserunner. The batter gets credit for a base hit, the runner is out.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

I believe my question is answered in that the runner is out. This is clear in the Fed rule 8-6-10-a

When less than two outs, the runner(s) should not be going. (Of course let's assume that IFR not active) If they do stupidly run, then noticing their error they run into the fielder, then a possible double play could be made and Fed allows the umpire to also call out the immediate succeeding runner which could be the batter.

In original situation with two outs, I am still going with a FC on the batter because a double play is not an available option with two outs already. Next batter up is a fresh batter next inning.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
Mike,
Roger
ASA Rules 8.7.J-L When runners are called out for interference, the batter-runner is awarded first base and credited with a fielder's choice.
EXCEPTION: If the interference prevents the fielder from catching a routine fly ball (fair or foul) with ordinary effort, the batter is also called out.

And if you recall a thread from last year, when there are two outs made during a continuing play when there are two outs, the defense may opt to have either declared the 3rd out regardless of the order in which the outs occured. In this case, the batter completed their turn at bat and doesn't lead of the next inning.

Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Mike,
Roger
ASA Rules 8.7.J-L When runners are called out for interference, the batter-runner is awarded first base and credited with a fielder's choice.
EXCEPTION: If the interference prevents the fielder from catching a routine fly ball (fair or foul) with ordinary effort, the batter is also called out.

And if you recall a thread from last year, when there are two outs made during a continuing play when there are two outs, the defense may opt to have either declared the 3rd out regardless of the order in which the outs occured. In this case, the batter completed their turn at bat and doesn't lead of the next inning.

I started to post "That makes about as much sense as ruling that the ball is dead when the umpire gives the count!", but I decided not to. I didn't want to make you mad. (Very big grin)

Roger
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I started to post "That makes about as much sense as ruling that the ball is dead when the umpire gives the count!", but I decided not to. I didn't want to make you mad. (Very big grin)

Roger
No, that would be rule 10.8

Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

USSSA/NFHS Differences

Roger,

You do a USSSFA and NFHS Fastpitch Rules Differences
this year?

If so, please forward me a copy.

Thanks,
glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Mike,
Roger

Probably one of the best examples of the useless differences between NFHS and ASA, just because different people wrote them with no editing and no logical reason. Not to mention taking those same rules and twisting them on tests.