The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 08, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to sihoops2
NFHS Navy Blue Pants

I saw in the last issue of Referee Magazine that the NFHS has approved navy pants for high school. What's everybodies thoughts about it? I don't have a problem with it and will take both gray and blue pants to the game and if my partner(s) want to wear navy we'll wear blue or if they want to wear gray that's what we'll wear. I've talked to some umpires around my area and they say they'll never wear navy pants unless mandated.
Old Sun Nov 08, 2009, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sihoops2 View Post
I saw in the last issue of Referee Magazine that the NFHS has approved navy pants for high school. What's everybodies thoughts about it? I don't have a problem with it and will take both gray and blue pants to the game and if my partner(s) want to wear navy we'll wear blue or if they want to wear gray that's what we'll wear. I've talked to some umpires around my area and they say they'll never wear navy pants unless mandated.
Blue in HS is not really anything new.
Old Sun Nov 08, 2009, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Either color is fine by me.

Despite any changes in the NFHS guidelines, umpire uniforms will still be at the discretion of each individual state association. For instance, my state currently mandates heather grey pants and navy blue shirts. So, no matter what NFHS says, blue pants are not an option!

The state uniform standards for 2010 haven't been released yet, but there aren't any changes on the horizon that I'm aware of. Even if they do make some changes, they will likely grandfather them in after a few seasons. One reason- our shirts must carry the official state logo and at this time the logo is available only on navy blue shirts. Navy blue shirts with navy blue pants would be an odd combination!

The state association recently redesigned the official logo on shirts and began offering the new logo for sale. But they are giving umpires three seasons before the new logos are mandatory. I am expecting some future clarification on pants being heather grey now that the darker charcoal grey is more readily available.

Time will tell!
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Additional Cost for New Umpires

I believe a state should stay with only one color pants and shirts. The only exception may be the state tournament. By going with multiple color options, the start-up cost to new umpires will be considerably more. Start-up cost has been a factor in recruiting new umpires in the past, and with the increase expense of multiple colored combinations, it would be even higher.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

One way to combat higher start-up costs if multiple uniforms are allowed is to make one comination the mandatory "default". Umpires would be required to have only the one default uniform and the other styles would be optional.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down NFHS navy pants

Navy pants, YUCK! We must wear the powder blue shirt only in district/Regional play, but allow the dk. blue in season play. I personally like the way the charcoal gray last longer and do not fade. The best looking combo is the black shirt (in baseball) and charcoal gray pants. Now this looks great.
But throw in the navy blue pants, I won't be buying them (navy pants). I would rather stay with the fading heather gray.
Who else already wears the navy blue and what color shirt do you wear?

Thoes who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it!
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Like most others (I'd guess), our uniforms are set by the state association, not NFHS. Presently, we're heather gray with powder blue shirt (red/white/blue trim), no logos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP 64 View Post
... fading heather gray....
Heather gray is a crap color because of this. I don't have any problem with it as a color when new, but it fades very quickly. Quality umpire pants last a lot longer than the heather gray color does. Crap color.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

New Hampshire has a default uniform of heather grey pants, powder blue shirt [same as ASA w/o a logo], and navy blue t-shirt [if worn]. Last season we were given the option to wear the navy blue shirt instead of the powder blue as long as both umpires were dressed the same.

Hats are navy blue w/ a "NH" logo on them.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

In Oregon, the NFHS uniform is plain powder blue shirt (ASA style), heather gray pants, plain blue hat, white undershirt. You can wear the long sleeve powder blue shirt or a solid navy jacket.

Like Dakota, I have to replace my pants because the color has faded, not because they have worn out.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Might as well sound off for Texas, then. The official uni is heather gray pants with powder blue shirt (navy/white trim.) However, we have the option of wearing the navy as long as both umpires wear the navy.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

NY has always been Powder Blue shirt with Navy pants. Navy does show dirt but not moisture.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Heather gray is a crap color because of this. I don't have any problem with it as a color when new, but it fades very quickly. Quality umpire pants last a lot longer than the heather gray color does. Crap color.
I agree. The light gray fades relatively quickly and they also show sweat, especially when one sweats like I do. Those are the main reasons why I prefer the navy - regardless of the temp or humidity.

I'd like to see the charcoal gray accepted and used in placde of the heather. Let's see how they hold up.
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

As an outsider (football and hoops, but no diamond ball), I think the best combo is the black shirt and dark gray pants. Maybe a polo blue option, but the black and gray are simple and match the belt and shoes.

Incidentally, next time you run into someone arguing about tradition and all that, mention that baseball umpires for ages wore a suit and tie. That's an example of a tradition that needs to be broken!

Either way, I'm all for you guys deciding what to wear. The worst is to get some yahoo who knows nothing about what works, what wears well, etc. making the decision.
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
As an outsider (football and hoops, but no diamond ball), I think the best combo is the black shirt and dark gray pants. Maybe a polo blue option, but the black and gray are simple and match the belt and shoes.

Incidentally, next time you run into someone arguing about tradition and all that, mention that baseball umpires for ages wore a suit and tie. That's an example of a tradition that needs to be broken!

Either way, I'm all for you guys deciding what to wear. The worst is to get some yahoo who knows nothing about what works, what wears well, etc. making the decision.
Well, for starts, this isn't baseball and we aren't called "blue" for wearing black and grey.
Old Sat Nov 14, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
...The worst is to get some yahoo who knows nothing about what works, what wears well, etc. making the decision.
Welcome to our world.