The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Please ditch the blue pants

Blue pants with a light blue shirt looks HORRIBLE. Its even worse when worn with a navy jacket since the colors never sync. I know this is ASA, but the conference supervisors need to speak up on this one on you guys' behalf.

In Texas, the softball guys wear gray slacks with the light blue shirt. I personally think the black shirt/hat is the best looking combo, but the pale blue is fine. Any of you other high school guys forced to wear the blue pants?

Why is softball taking so darn long to get out of the 1970s?

Last edited by Texas Aggie; Sun May 20, 2007 at 09:47pm.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Blue pants with a light blue shirt looks HORRIBLE. Its even worse when worn with a navy jacket since the colors never sync. I know this is ASA, but the conference supervisors need to speak up on this one on you guys' behalf.

In Texas, the softball guys wear gray slacks with the light blue shirt. I personally think the black shirt/hat is the best looking combo, but the pale blue is fine. Any of you other high school guys forced to wear the blue pants?

Why is softball taking so darn long to get out of the 1970s?
TOTALLY disagree.... the WORST combination is the grey pants/light blue shirt.....softball umps wear BLUE! The ONLY time (IF EVER) those ugly grey pants should be worn is with the NAVY shirt.

The Blue looks GREAT. Keep it.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
TOTALLY disagree.... the WORST combination is the grey pants/light blue shirt.....softball umps wear BLUE! The ONLY time (IF EVER) those ugly grey pants should be worn is with the NAVY shirt.

The Blue looks GREAT. Keep it.
On Saturday in Knoxville, North Carolina wore light blue jerseys with navy pants. They looked just like the umpires.

That, in and of itself, is reason enough to ditch the navy pants. Umpires in general, whether it be baseball or softball, should wear grey. I don't know why softball thinks it has to try to be different in every aspect of the game.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwes68
On Saturday in Knoxville, North Carolina wore light blue jerseys with navy pants. They looked just like the umpires.

That, in and of itself, is reason enough to ditch the navy pants. Umpires in general, whether it be baseball or softball, should wear grey. I don't know why softball thinks it has to try to be different in every aspect of the game.
Where did you guys come from? They don't call umpires "blue" for nothing.

The grey is unforgiving, and I really don't care what they do in Republic of Texas. The powder over navy is a good combination.

The powder over grey looks like something a group of nuns put together for a parochial school uniform.

And BTW, baseball is another game, why should softball even associate themselves with it?

BTW, the UNC blue is not the same color as the powder blue.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Hey, the uniform is better than what it was 7 years ago. Polyester shirts with big collars... Looked straight out of the 70s!

I think it's better than the USSSA uniforms. Black slacks with a red shirt? I did a USSSA tourney years ago in the middle of July, and I darn near passed out! Hot, hot, HOT!

Mike's right, Carolina blue is not the same as powder blue. It's *very* close, but I'm wearing a Carolina blue shirt today (I'm not sure why - maybe I need to do laundry more often). Definitely not the same.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Since when did anyone start caring for umpire comfort? I didnt get that memo! and heck they cant even standardize baseball umpire uniforms. but if we are voting im with y'all on the grey slacks and powder blue shirts. navy is so 80's.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

If I were to vote on a switch, I'd vote for the heather grey slacks with the new navy pro-style shirts. Our organization prefers that we show up in the navy/powder blue combination. However, if both umpires on the field agree to it beforehand, they've been willing to let us use the heather grey/navy shirt combo. Don't know if this is still the case, but I wouldn't mind switching to that. Sure, I'll spring another $100 for 4 more shirts out of my pocket for that.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I don't care what color we wear, yellow shirts over green pants would work, as long as we stop wasting money on changes just to be pretty and every sanction having to be different.
You fashion dilettantes should give up, it's a job not a fashion show.
As far as heat, fabric means more than color and yes the old, old shirts could be uncomfortable for wimps. Although I agree the new fabric is more practical, less sweat damage, no ironing, etc.
There is no ball game anywhere that can not be umpired in the same uniform as any other game, regardless of what color that is, including powder blue over navy.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

I don't have a problem with any of the color combinations. Powder over heather is fine, but navy shows up less dirt. I can get 3 0r more games from a navy vs the powder.

Anything but STRIPES!
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

we could just wear orange jumpsuits with numbers stenciled on them... maybe carry some shanks... that might help with crowd control.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Count me among those who prefer the navy pants.
I've got all sorts of uniforms and nothing covers my sweat better than the navy pants.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue
we could just wear orange jumpsuits with numbers stenciled on them... maybe carry some shanks... that might help with crowd control.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

I have always preferred the heather grey to the navy for pants.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

My opinion is that we should decide on one shirt color, and one pants color, both plain with no logos

If a certain sanctioning body then wants umpires to display a logo during games...we switch hats....

As a former basketball official, I know that I could go anywhere in the country with my stripes, black pants, and black shoes and call a game with my matching partner.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

And mine is the opposite... let umpires decide what to wear, within the accepted norms, as long as they match.