The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Navy OC Shirts - Different Shades?

I recently received four shirts from Officials Choice. Two of them were navy and are different sizes - one to wear behind the plate and one for the bases. The workmanship of the shirts are fine and I like the feel of the fabric, but they are noticeably different in shade. The 2X is so dark as to appear black. The other two shirts are powder blue and are also different sizes, but the shades of those shirts are identical.

Anyone else received an OC shirt that is a darker shade of navy?
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Just as an observation, this is the exact reason why I only buy Cliff Keen shirts.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37 View Post
I recently received four shirts from Officials Choice. Two of them were navy and are different sizes - one to wear behind the plate and one for the bases. The workmanship of the shirts are fine and I like the feel of the fabric, but they are noticeably different in shade. The 2X is so dark as to appear black. The other two shirts are powder blue and are also different sizes, but the shades of those shirts are identical.

Anyone else received an OC shirt that is a darker shade of navy?
My OC navy seems a little darker than my Honigs navy, but not enough to matter.
If it is really noticeable, I would give them a call. If they want to be a player in this game, customer service will be one of the keys.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Just as an observation, this is the exact reason why I only buy Cliff Keen shirts.
I agree.
I did get a bad Cliff Keen shirt for basketball this year, however. The seam between the arm and shoulder decided not to be a team player after just a few times through the washing machine.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

My knocks on the OC shirts (already documented in a previous thread):

- The material is too sheer- almost like "see-through" sheer. You'll have to give some thought to what undershirt you wear, because any logo or printing will be easily read right through the OC shirt. Any logos, pads, buckles or straps on your chest protector will be fairly visible.

- The powder blue shirt I got from OC had light blue buttons. After less than half a season- maybe 6-8 wearings and washes- the buttons faded to a hideous pinkish-purplely color. I replaced them myself.

- The only issues I had with wear and tear or their construction was the stitching around a couple of of the button holes unraveled a bit.

Other than that, I haven't had any problems. If those are things that you can live with you should be happy with the shirts. They are lightweight, comfortable and relatively cool. And, the shirts are generously sized- the Large fits me close to an Extra-Large from other makers.

Last edited by BretMan; Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 10:03am.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Other than the odd sizing, color shade inconsistencies, fabric inconsistencies, non-standard trim styles, discolored buttons, occasionally over-sized shirt pockets, out-of-stock product, amateurish marketing and arrogant management, Official's Choice is a fine company.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 10:22am
Stop staring at me swan.

I've only dealt with them on a couple of shirts...honestly, I don't think I'll go with them again only because I want some consistency with sizes and appearance...most of my partners wear Honigs, so it only makes sense to go that direction.

On another note, am I missing something with one version of the light blue shirt? Did the red/white/blue collar get replaced by the navy/powdered blue collar...(those two are used when my partner doesn't have the black collar) I'm just seeing fewer and fewer red/white/blue collar and more of what used to be the "softball" version.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Red, white and blue collar: College
White and navy collar: High School Baseball and Softball
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 10:27am
Stop staring at me swan.

Got it.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I've only dealt with them on a couple of shirts...honestly, I don't think I'll go with them again only because I want some consistency with sizes and appearance...most of my partners wear Honigs, so it only makes sense to go that direction.

On another note, am I missing something with one version of the light blue shirt? Did the red/white/blue collar get replaced by the navy/powdered blue collar...(those two are used when my partner doesn't have the black collar) I'm just seeing fewer and fewer red/white/blue collar and more of what used to be the "softball" version.
I'm sure it varies by area.

No one around here has worn the red-white-blue collar for many years, and the navy collar is now (in the past couple of years) also out for baseball (replaced by the polo blue shirt with the black collar).
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 10:57am
Stop staring at me swan.

I like the black collar as well. I'd like to start our assn toward that version. it's hard enough to get guys to upgrade to unfaded stuff...but that would be nice. i can see the other side too in the fact that there appears to be a new shirt every few years.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm sure it varies by area.

No one around here has worn the red-white-blue collar for many years, and the navy collar is now (in the past couple of years) also out for baseball (replaced by the polo blue shirt with the black collar).
Keep saying it and maybe the "powder" will disappear completely!

I feel like a softball-umping retiree when I am forced to wear the powder. I get 15 years older just putting it on.

The MLB "polo" is easily acceptable.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 12:09pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Red, white and blue collar: College
Also an approved color for use by TASO umpires.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I like the black collar as well. I'd like to start our assn toward that version. it's hard enough to get guys to upgrade to unfaded stuff...but that would be nice. i can see the other side too in the fact that there appears to be a new shirt every few years.
The main units in Los Angeles have officially okay'd the use of any of the main colors (navy, powder, polo, black, cream, gray, white) as long as the umpires match. I guess this is how it should be.

I would wear black at every opportunity. But when the temperature hits 80, it gets tough. Gray, cream and MLB blue all make nice alternates. I have two of every color and am always willing to let my partner borrow any shirt that fits, so he can try a new alternate color, and so we don't have to wear the powder.

Heather and powder ... I don't even like the words.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Also an approved color for use by TASO umpires.
Gotcha'