The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NFHS Navy Blue Pants (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/55325-nfhs-navy-blue-pants.html)

sihoops2 Sun Nov 08, 2009 02:07pm

NFHS Navy Blue Pants

I saw in the last issue of Referee Magazine that the NFHS has approved navy pants for high school. What's everybodies thoughts about it? I don't have a problem with it and will take both gray and blue pants to the game and if my partner(s) want to wear navy we'll wear blue or if they want to wear gray that's what we'll wear. I've talked to some umpires around my area and they say they'll never wear navy pants unless mandated.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Nov 08, 2009 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sihoops2 (Post 635050)
I saw in the last issue of Referee Magazine that the NFHS has approved navy pants for high school. What's everybodies thoughts about it? I don't have a problem with it and will take both gray and blue pants to the game and if my partner(s) want to wear navy we'll wear blue or if they want to wear gray that's what we'll wear. I've talked to some umpires around my area and they say they'll never wear navy pants unless mandated.

Blue in HS is not really anything new.

BretMan Sun Nov 08, 2009 03:18pm

Either color is fine by me.

Despite any changes in the NFHS guidelines, umpire uniforms will still be at the discretion of each individual state association. For instance, my state currently mandates heather grey pants and navy blue shirts. So, no matter what NFHS says, blue pants are not an option!

The state uniform standards for 2010 haven't been released yet, but there aren't any changes on the horizon that I'm aware of. Even if they do make some changes, they will likely grandfather them in after a few seasons. One reason- our shirts must carry the official state logo and at this time the logo is available only on navy blue shirts. Navy blue shirts with navy blue pants would be an odd combination!

The state association recently redesigned the official logo on shirts and began offering the new logo for sale. But they are giving umpires three seasons before the new logos are mandatory. I am expecting some future clarification on pants being heather grey now that the darker charcoal grey is more readily available.

Time will tell!

strike4 Mon Nov 09, 2009 09:27am

Additional Cost for New Umpires

I believe a state should stay with only one color pants and shirts. The only exception may be the state tournament. By going with multiple color options, the start-up cost to new umpires will be considerably more. Start-up cost has been a factor in recruiting new umpires in the past, and with the increase expense of multiple colored combinations, it would be even higher.

BretMan Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:16am

One way to combat higher start-up costs if multiple uniforms are allowed is to make one comination the mandatory "default". Umpires would be required to have only the one default uniform and the other styles would be optional.

UMP 64 Mon Nov 09, 2009 02:47pm

NFHS navy pants

:mad: Navy pants, YUCK! We must wear the powder blue shirt only in district/Regional play, but allow the dk. blue in season play. I personally like the way the charcoal gray last longer and do not fade. The best looking combo is the black shirt (in baseball) and charcoal gray pants. Now this looks great.
But throw in the navy blue pants, I won't be buying them (navy pants). I would rather stay with the fading heather gray.
Who else already wears the navy blue and what color shirt do you wear?:)

Dakota Mon Nov 09, 2009 03:25pm

Like most others (I'd guess), our uniforms are set by the state association, not NFHS. Presently, we're heather gray with powder blue shirt (red/white/blue trim), no logos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP 64 (Post 635250)
... fading heather gray....

Heather gray is a crap color because of this. I don't have any problem with it as a color when new, but it fades very quickly. Quality umpire pants last a lot longer than the heather gray color does. Crap color.

Tru_in_Blu Mon Nov 09, 2009 05:35pm

New Hampshire has a default uniform of heather grey pants, powder blue shirt [same as ASA w/o a logo], and navy blue t-shirt [if worn]. Last season we were given the option to wear the navy blue shirt instead of the powder blue as long as both umpires were dressed the same.

Hats are navy blue w/ a "NH" logo on them.

SethPDX Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:21pm

In Oregon, the NFHS uniform is plain powder blue shirt (ASA style), heather gray pants, plain blue hat, white undershirt. You can wear the long sleeve powder blue shirt or a solid navy jacket.

Like Dakota, I have to replace my pants because the color has faded, not because they have worn out.

Skahtboi Tue Nov 10, 2009 09:37am

Might as well sound off for Texas, then. The official uni is heather gray pants with powder blue shirt (navy/white trim.) However, we have the option of wearing the navy as long as both umpires wear the navy.

bigsig Fri Nov 13, 2009 08:10pm

NY has always been Powder Blue shirt with Navy pants. Navy does show dirt but not moisture.

Steve M Fri Nov 13, 2009 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 635265)
Heather gray is a crap color because of this. I don't have any problem with it as a color when new, but it fades very quickly. Quality umpire pants last a lot longer than the heather gray color does. Crap color.

I agree. The light gray fades relatively quickly and they also show sweat, especially when one sweats like I do. Those are the main reasons why I prefer the navy - regardless of the temp or humidity.

I'd like to see the charcoal gray accepted and used in placde of the heather. Let's see how they hold up.

Texas Aggie Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:14am

As an outsider (football and hoops, but no diamond ball), I think the best combo is the black shirt and dark gray pants. Maybe a polo blue option, but the black and gray are simple and match the belt and shoes.

Incidentally, next time you run into someone arguing about tradition and all that, mention that baseball umpires for ages wore a suit and tie. That's an example of a tradition that needs to be broken!

Either way, I'm all for you guys deciding what to wear. The worst is to get some yahoo who knows nothing about what works, what wears well, etc. making the decision.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Nov 14, 2009 02:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 636181)
As an outsider (football and hoops, but no diamond ball), I think the best combo is the black shirt and dark gray pants. Maybe a polo blue option, but the black and gray are simple and match the belt and shoes.

Incidentally, next time you run into someone arguing about tradition and all that, mention that baseball umpires for ages wore a suit and tie. That's an example of a tradition that needs to be broken!

Either way, I'm all for you guys deciding what to wear. The worst is to get some yahoo who knows nothing about what works, what wears well, etc. making the decision.

Well, for starts, this isn't baseball and we aren't called "blue" for wearing black and grey.

Dakota Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 636181)
...The worst is to get some yahoo who knows nothing about what works, what wears well, etc. making the decision.

Welcome to our world.