The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Man, I must be a slacker. I started the same year as you, but I've only gone to one National so far.
Ever try kissing some @$$?

jeez.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Ever try kissing some @$$?

jeez.
Phil's not my type.

Great guy, though. Honored that he gave me a chance.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Greg - the point of my previous post was that it really shouldn't matter whether you are in a rules or mechanics discussion with a raw rookie or NUS member or anyone in between. We are all umpires.

We have had this disucussion before, but the level of ball that you call does not necessarily lend you any more credibility as an umpire than the next guy. Some guys think "college ball" is the be all-end all of umpiring, but I have seen some people working college games that I would hesitate to use in the local rec leagues! We have had people working our HS state playoffs that should be doing freshman games.

All I'm trying to say is don't base your opinion of the postings on here on a posters "resume". Take each one, evaluate it on your own terms, use what you can, and toss the rest.

FWIW, I'm Andy, I live in Peoria, AZ. I am a FP only umpire at this time, but looking to start working in some SP tourneys to have a better handle on that side of the game. I have called in our state JC league for the past five years. I have been working ASA and HS ball for the last ten years. I am Vice-President of our local HS association. I have worked two ASA Men's Nationals, with a third to come in September. I have also worked several JO Western Nationals at different age levels.

I am proud of what I've done, but I know I can get better..that's what I'm shooting for!
Andy;
I'm trying hard to improve my game as well. My thread was begun as a way for me to know when I have been given the "official" ruling or just another opinion. It seems pointless to me to continue to raise my arguments why my opinion of a rule is valid and yours isn't, when in-fact, you are part of the rule make (and interpreting) authority.

I would rather know that that is who you are, accept the ruling, and apply it in the future.

If you are another umpire with a different opinion, your thoughts are appreciated but do not represent ASA (in my case).

I learn from all discussions, but I feel some are left open-ended and I, for one, would really appreciate a final "correct" ruling.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
If you really care...

I am Larry in Pensacola FL. I've been calling FP since 1993 (but didn't have much time get serious about it until I retired from the Navy and my DD finished her college career). I now call college, HS, ASA, and some local rec ball. 2008 was a great year -- Florida HS finals, Florida JUCO championships, and ASA/USA 12U Nationals.

Unfortunately, I had to sit out 2009 as I had my leg amputated in February. Once it (finally) heals, I'll be back on the dirt.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpire View Post
Andy;
I'm trying hard to improve my game as well. My thread was begun as a way for me to know when I have been given the "official" ruling or just another opinion. It seems pointless to me to continue to raise my arguments why my opinion of a rule is valid and yours isn't, when in-fact, you are part of the rule make (and interpreting) authority.

I would rather know that that is who you are, accept the ruling, and apply it in the future.

If you are another umpire with a different opinion, your thoughts are appreciated but do not represent ASA (in my case).

I learn from all discussions, but I feel some are left open-ended and I, for one, would really appreciate a final "correct" ruling.
You make a good point here: the anonymity of the internet. Those of us who have been on the forum a while have gotten to know who's who (for the most part). Unfortunately, we don't have name badges here other than our signatures, and not everyone uses them (or is willing to use them).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
If you really care...

I am Larry in Pensacola FL. I've been calling FP since 1993 (but didn't have much time get serious about it until I retired from the Navy and my DD finished her college career). I now call college, HS, ASA, and some local rec ball. 2008 was a great year -- Florida HS finals, Florida JUCO championships, and ASA/USA 12U Nationals.

Unfortunately, I had to sit out 2009 as I had my leg amputated in February. Once it (finally) heals, I'll be back on the dirt.
Hey, how's that coming along? I remember you mentioning it before. Healing okay?

Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Hey, how's that coming along? I remember you mentioning it before. Healing okay?
Thanks for asking Dave. I messed up big time by falling (on the stump) shortly after the amputation. To save the knee, we're now going through an extended process to remove all the crushed bone and tissue and fill in the hole with "granulation tissue." Unfortunately, the amount of radiation that originally caused the amputation has made me very slow to heal. But I WILL get there, and I will be back on the field. My goal is to be the first amputee to umpire a FHSAA championship game.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for asking Dave. I messed up big time by falling (on the stump) shortly after the amputation. To save the knee, we're now going through an extended process to remove all the crushed bone and tissue and fill in the hole with "granulation tissue." Unfortunately, the amount of radiation that originally caused the amputation has made me very slow to heal. But I WILL get there, and I will be back on the field. My goal is to be the first amputee to umpire a FHSAA championship game.
Well, stay strong, brother. With that positive outlook, you'll get there!

Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We're all pulling for ya!

I know a cop that lost his leg the exact same way and he is good to go!

You'll get there!
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

I started umpiring FP in 1983. It was only the 2 year of FP in my city and it must of been Pony or some variance of rules. I remember when there was no circle (at least in this league). I continued on through working HS when I was at JC. I went to LSU and worked HS. It was only their 2nd year of FP. At 21 I had more FP experience than everyone in the Association. Stopped after college 1993. Came back in 2001 to ASA. I have 2 nationals and 2 18 Gold Quals plus a bunch of others.

Last edited by vcblue; Fri Aug 14, 2009 at 11:42pm.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Somewhat of a new guy but FP only for now. Active duty Army but will retire next year. Hope to land a job that will allow me to increase my tournaments etc. ASA and NFHS (TASO that's Texas talk) are the only two governing bodies I work with.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtotheB View Post
Somewhat of a new guy but FP only for now. Active duty Army but will retire next year. Hope to land a job that will allow me to increase my tournaments etc. ASA and NFHS (TASO that's Texas talk) are the only two governing bodies I work with.
Attaboy........
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Hello Group. My name's Michael and I am an umpire. I have not had a game in 12 days.

While on the field, God grant me the serenity
to accept the calls I cannot change;
courage to change my poor judgment calls when necessary;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpire View Post
Andy;

Well, pretty much the only uber umpire in Irish. The rest of use are just schmucks of varying levels. I would guess probably Altumpsteve is 2nd in the ASA hierarchy here, but still, hes not at the rank a Irish, but hes been around. If you got altumpsteve and irish telling you youre wrong, you can pretty much take it to the bank. Dakota is no slouch. I think Bigslick is pretty good on the NCAA stuff...

If WMB agrees with you, thats another good way to know ur wrong.

The rest of us, we just like to complicate it, if only for something to do.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Well, pretty much the only uber umpire in Irish. The rest of use are just schmucks of varying levels. I would guess probably Altumpsteve is 2nd in the ASA hierarchy here, but still, hes not at the rank a Irish, but hes been around. If you got altumpsteve and irish telling you youre wrong, you can pretty much take it to the bank. Dakota is no slouch. I think Bigslick is pretty good on the NCAA stuff...

If WMB agrees with you, thats another good way to know ur wrong.

The rest of us, we just like to complicate it, if only for something to do.
Steve is overrated........