The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Who the HELL are you!!!? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/54309-who-hell-you.html)

gumpire Thu Aug 13, 2009 03:38pm

Who the HELL are you!!!?

Hey all; I have been visiting this forum for 5 years now and 1 question keeps nagging me....who the hell are you?

I have been involved in a couple of rules discussions and I just don't know if the person I'm agreeing or disagreeing with is just another umpire, a National Staff umpire, or perhaps the head of ASA.

So I thought maybe we could have a thread with a little background (read: umpire resume) on each of us...since most profiles don't seem to answer the quetion.

gumpire Thu Aug 13, 2009 03:41pm

I'll start

I am in my 2nd year as an ASA Slow Pitch Umpire for my local rec. league. I attended National School in Olympia, WA in Feb. 2009.

Other than that, my opinions, thoughts, etc. come from watching my dad umpire for about 15 years (Dad umped for 20+ but I only remember about 15 of them).

wadeintothem Thu Aug 13, 2009 03:57pm

Thats what you did, not who you are.

Many of us are on facebook... as lame as I originally thought it was (and it is lame), its kinda fun!

gumpire Thu Aug 13, 2009 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 620342)
Thats what you did, not who you are.

Many of us are on facebook... as lame as I originally thought it was (and it is lame), its kinda fun!

That's really not helpful if I don't have your Facebook info.

Andy Thu Aug 13, 2009 06:44pm

Does it really matter who the hell any of us are?

If you have been around the forum for five years, you should have a real good idea of which posters know what they are talking about and which ones just blow smoke.

Besides the three (that I know of) posters from my local area, I have only met one other person that posts regularly, never worked a game with him, though.

I think that most, if not all, of the umpires that come to this board are using it as a resource to learn and get better. That being said, I have also come across a lot of umpires in my travels that talk a good game, but don't take it to the field.

gumpire Thu Aug 13, 2009 08:52pm

Well, apparently it's a matter of security that I not know who's who on this forum.

I have to say though...I find it interesting that there are reply after reply to player, coaches, parents, etc. But noone wants to reply to a fellow umpire. GREAT COMMUNITY!!!

Question withdrawn!

NCASAUmp Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumpire (Post 620391)
Well, apparently it's a matter of security that I not know who's who on this forum.

I have to say though...I find it interesting that there are reply after reply to player, coaches, parents, etc. But noone wants to reply to a fellow umpire. GREAT COMMUNITY!!!

Question withdrawn!

I'm Dave, and I call in central North Carolina. Originally from Wisconsin, but moved here in 2000, which makes me a Yankee (but not a damn Yankee). Been calling 17 years. Good to meet you, brother.

wadeintothem Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:35pm

OK

I'm chuck. I've been umpring FPSB since 03. Before that did some little league and other garbage bb. Prior and even after starting umpiring I was a Rec League coach. For 8 or 9 years before that, I was a trainer/medic and some times asst coach for youth football and up to frosh and JV football.

Unlike most of these long time vets, I've only done 2 nationals, but worked sunday in both! phew! I've been awarded the 18A in Hemet next year, for my 3rd. I am a local UIC and board member within our association. My area covers 2 rural counties. My ultimate Goal at this point is the 18G. I start NCAA ball in Nov this year and will give it another run to selections with the ISC for men's FP. I didnt work NFHS last year, but might do a little this year.

I ***** and moan and have my own ideas about mechanics and applications, but when I walk on the field, I'm all ASA and strictly by the book (unless I screw it up :) ).

gumpire Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:43pm

Thanks and good to meet you Dave & Chuck.

BTW: I forgot to mention, my name is Greg and I'm in the Portland, OR area.

shipwreck Fri Aug 14, 2009 06:14am

I'm Dave from Crete, Nebraska. Been doing ASA since 1987. NFHS since 1996. I worked our NFHS High School State tourney the past 5 years. Started doing College ball 3 years ago. Learned a lot by reading this forum. Dave

Andy Fri Aug 14, 2009 09:57am

Greg - the point of my previous post was that it really shouldn't matter whether you are in a rules or mechanics discussion with a raw rookie or NUS member or anyone in between. We are all umpires.

We have had this disucussion before, but the level of ball that you call does not necessarily lend you any more credibility as an umpire than the next guy. Some guys think "college ball" is the be all-end all of umpiring, but I have seen some people working college games that I would hesitate to use in the local rec leagues! We have had people working our HS state playoffs that should be doing freshman games.

All I'm trying to say is don't base your opinion of the postings on here on a posters "resume". Take each one, evaluate it on your own terms, use what you can, and toss the rest.

FWIW, I'm Andy, I live in Peoria, AZ. I am a FP only umpire at this time, but looking to start working in some SP tourneys to have a better handle on that side of the game. I have called in our state JC league for the past five years. I have been working ASA and HS ball for the last ten years. I am Vice-President of our local HS association. I have worked two ASA Men's Nationals, with a third to come in September. I have also worked several JO Western Nationals at different age levels.

I am proud of what I've done, but I know I can get better..that's what I'm shooting for!

azbigdawg Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:29pm

Ive never been too big on stating where Ive been or what Ive done...but

Im Darrell. I live in Gilbert, Arizona. Ive been umpiring since 1993, fast pitch since 2001..Ive been involved with 11 ASA nationals in some capacity (both fast and slow). I do a little JC ball on the side... DIE HARD ASA lover, despite its multiple and serious faults....

Theres more...but thats enough.....

NCASAUmp Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 620446)
Ive never been too big on stating where Ive been or what Ive done...but

Im Darrell. I live in Gilbert, Arizona. Ive been umpiring since 1993, fast pitch since 2001..Ive been involved with 11 ASA nationals in some capacity (both fast and slow). I do a little JC ball on the side... DIE HARD ASA lover, despite its multiple and serious faults....

Theres more...but thats enough.....

Man, I must be a slacker. I started the same year as you, but I've only gone to one National so far. ;)

azbigdawg Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 620448)
Man, I must be a slacker. I started the same year as you, but I've only gone to one National so far. ;)

I got lucky with my regional UIC several years back, he pressured me into mastering both the 12" and 16" (sp) game...and in 2001 I learned the FP game...it kinda opens doors when you know both sides of the game. Ive also just been in the right place a few times..

IRISHMAFIA Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 620452)
I got lucky with my regional UIC several years back, he pressured me into mastering both the 12" and 16" (sp) game...and in 2001 I learned the FP game...it kinda opens doors when you know both sides of the game. Ive also just been in the right place a few times..

Oh my!

:eek::rolleyes:;):D