Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
Steve is overrated........
Don't be jealous over beer.
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Don't be jealous over beer.
That stuff wasnt beer. If it hadnt been for the good company, I would have run away......
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

"Resume'"

I'm Brian from Houston, Tx.

I'm in my 20th year. I'm mostly a slow pitch umpire but have several years of fast pitch as well. I've called numerous Nationals and take a crew of umpires to Panama City every Sept. to call the "cry babies" that play adult t-ball. I am a Deputy Umpire in Chief locally (but only because I volunteered, not because of my umpiring.)
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

OK reply from oversees

My name is Sander, I've been calling FP-games in "Nederland" (The Netherlands) since I've turned 15, only for our club. After I've quit playing FP at the age of 29, I've started to call for the dutch federation. First in regional games, after a view years in the top-leagues. I work both in men's FP as in women FP.
Youth-games are not my thing, I've worked only one DH last year, none this season...
Two years ago I earned my ESF-licence. The European way up on the International-stairs. Last summer I went to Bulgary, this summer I don't call International. Thanks to my work, got only 2 weeks vacation. This year I must be allowed to take 45 day's off...
I've worked twice at the IndoorCup in Schiedam. Here I've met and worked with some USA and GB-umpires. Some of those are indeed also registered here... I'm inviting them to introduce themselves

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'm Steve - as the user id suggests - but not the Steve that Mike sez is over-rated. - at least not in that thread.
I have umpired some baseball in the past, but gave it up this year.
I currently work some youth ball as sanctioned by ASA and PONY. I work high school games under PIAA - using NFHS rules. I work all divisions of NCAA ball. I work some pretty good men's ball under ISC's banner. And I've been fortunate enough to work NPF games in Pennsylvania.
I'm also one of those that Sander referred to. I've worked one of the European Indoor Cup tournaments and will work my second next year. That was a terriffic trip and I'm looking forward to the 2010 version.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

My name is Larry and I live in Texas. I am one of the people that has had the good fortune to work with Sander at the infoor cup and call him my friend. I am gradually working myself up to be able to call some upper level youth fastpitch. Maybe oneday I can get to the 16 and 18 level to see the type of ball you guys get to enjoy
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I'm Steve - as the user id suggests - but not the Steve that Mike sez is over-rated. - at least not in that thread.
Hang on, Bubba. Mike said Steve was underated.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Hang on, Bubba. Mike said Steve was underated.
OK, so I've had a few tonight.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Let's be clear; Darrell said I was over-rated. This after I seriously kicked his (and his teams') a$$ at the Rules Case Play Jeopardy game at the UIC Clinic. The moderator even tried to give his team extra chances to keep from looking so weak, but my team RULED!!

Go on, Darrell, deny it; Mike is a witness. You owe me beer!! That's why you're out there trying to sell your story!!

Rematch in February 2011 (unless you come to Reno in November). Bring your wallet.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Let's be clear; Darrell said I was over-rated. This after I seriously kicked his (and his teams') a$$ at the Rules Case Play Jeopardy game at the UIC Clinic. The moderator even tried to give his team extra chances to keep from looking so weak, but my team RULED!!

Go on, Darrell, deny it; Mike is a witness. You owe me beer!! That's why you're out there trying to sell your story!!

Rematch in February 2011 (unless you come to Reno in November). Bring your wallet.

You won because I was kind enough not to try to answer any questions...

Reno it is....
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

lol@ darrell

The truth comes out.

You homies better hope I dont show up in reno or you all will be buying me beer. Not to mention dinner. And some stuff from the gift shop. And a tshirt.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpire View Post
Andy;
I'm trying hard to improve my game as well. My thread was begun as a way for me to know when I have been given the "official" ruling or just another opinion. It seems pointless to me to continue to raise my arguments why my opinion of a rule is valid and yours isn't, when in-fact, you are part of the rule make (and interpreting) authority.

I would rather know that that is who you are, accept the ruling, and apply it in the future.

If you are another umpire with a different opinion, your thoughts are appreciated but do not represent ASA (in my case).

I learn from all discussions, but I feel some are left open-ended and I, for one, would really appreciate a final "correct" ruling.
I understand what you are getting at in trying to understand who is who and who you should listen to and who might be full of it

The only reservation that I have is don't take anything anyone says as the final word, without making sure you understand why it is the way it is. Yes some people here have direct lines from the ASA top brass so to speak, and yes they are providing you with the "official" rulings many times. BUT make sure you continue to add clarity to their rulings until you can explain it to a coach if need be. Worst thing in the world you can do is get into a game and say well Irish (or Steve) told me that is the way it is coach so thats just how it goes.

I don't think that is what you would do but just making sure as this is a sore spot for many people with these types of internet boards!

BTW, I'm Dave I've been umpiring ASA for 12 years (did my 5th JO fastpitch national this year), NFHS for 10 years.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Worst thing in the world you can do is get into a game and say well, Steve told me that is the way it is coach so thats just how it goes.
That usually works in Georgia, believe it or not!! Tell them, rwest; you've seen them back off, or not even come out.

Seriously, Dave's point is well taken. It is one thing to listen when there are several possible answers, and accept the "official"; I know I always try to explain how, why, and precedents that apply. But if you just can't understand why "we" say there is just one right answer, we should be able to give you more.

Personally, I only stop answering when it has been explained ad infinitum, and someone just wants it to be another answer, no matter what the reasoning.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I'm Dave, and I call in central North Carolina. Originally from Wisconsin, but moved here in 2000, which makes me a Yankee (but not a damn Yankee). Been calling 17 years. Good to meet you, brother.
North Carolina is your southern redemption!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2009, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P View Post
My name is Larry and I live in Texas. I am one of the people that has had the good fortune to work with Sander at the infoor cup and call him my friend. I am gradually working myself up to be able to call some upper level youth fastpitch. Maybe oneday I can get to the 16 and 18 level to see the type of ball you guys get to enjoy
Now that's funny!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.