The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

txfp blue recourse thread reminded me of this coach...

So we are officiating a 14 under accelerated tournament. There is this obvious rec team playing with the big girls. No big deal usually. However there coach was the funniest piece of work ever. First inning a ball tailing down the third base line from a left handed batter lands 6-7feet foul. "time blue. (He comes into talk to me) the ball was in the air in fair territory as it went past third." I say yeah so? "Then we have a fair ball" I say ??? but coach it never once landed in fair territory so it is a foul ball. "That doesn't matter talk to your partner" I say coach it's a foul ball lets play. Later in the at bat the girl bunts a third strike foul while running through the box. I call her out. "time blue (oh no here we go again) she was slapping ask your partner for help" I'm thinking no but... hey this one I might of missed something so I will ask my partner if he saw anything different. He confirms bunt and I call her out. "Hold on, if she is running through the batters box it is a slap not a bunt." No coach there must be a swing to be a slap. "Well, I taught her to slap that way" what could I say? (a lot..starting with "I bet you did...doesn't surprise me etc" but not appropriate nor respectful) so I simply say shes out let's play ball.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by first2third View Post
"Well, I taught her to slap that way" what could I say? (a lot..starting with "I bet you did...doesn't surprise me etc" but not appropriate nor respectful).
But why? Did you just not post in another thread that we take ourselves too seriously? If it is true...............
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Slap vs. Bunt (I don't think this is a hijack)

Just seems like this year has had so many more of these incidents than the past... multiple foul-offs of slaps (in a single at-bat) with the DC complaining about bunt attempts.
I'd like your feedback on the criteria you use to distinguish the two. Some attempts surely get into the grey area, (hands apart from each other 3-4", but the hand by the knob is stationary while the other pushes the bat well forward, entire body moving forward from the back of the box)
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Just seems like this year has had so many more of these incidents than the past... multiple foul-offs of slaps (in a single at-bat) with the DC complaining about bunt attempts.
I'd like your feedback on the criteria you use to distinguish the two. Some attempts surely get into the grey area, (hands apart from each other 3-4", but the hand by the knob is stationary while the other pushes the bat well forward, entire body moving forward from the back of the box)
Umpires have been making these judgments for decades and I really don't care what the coach thinks.

A swing is the effort of a player to strike the ball with the bat. A bunt is when the player holds the bat in a certain position in an effort to tap the ball with little (or no) force.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Is the bat head moving faster than the hands? Probably a swing. If it isn't moving faster than the hands, probably a bunt. Then we get paid to make the judgement.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 02:05pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by first2third View Post
So we are officiating a 14 under accelerated tournament. There is this obvious rec team playing with the big girls. No big deal usually. However there coach was the funniest piece of work ever. First inning a ball tailing down the third base line from a left handed batter lands 6-7feet foul. "time blue. (He comes into talk to me) the ball was in the air in fair territory as it went past third." I say yeah so? "Then we have a fair ball" I say ??? but coach it never once landed in fair territory so it is a foul ball. "That doesn't matter talk to your partner" I say coach it's a foul ball lets play. Later in the at bat the girl bunts a third strike foul while running through the box. I call her out. "time blue (oh no here we go again) she was slapping ask your partner for help" I'm thinking no but... hey this one I might of missed something so I will ask my partner if he saw anything different. He confirms bunt and I call her out. "Hold on, if she is running through the batters box it is a slap not a bunt." No coach there must be a swing to be a slap. "Well, I taught her to slap that way" what could I say? (a lot..starting with "I bet you did...doesn't surprise me etc" but not appropriate nor respectful) so I simply say shes out let's play ball.
Geee, I think I had this guy as a player in slow-pitch!
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Geee, I think I had this guy as a player in slow-pitch!
I think I had this guy as a partner once. Sad.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2009, 02:10pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I think I had this guy as a partner once. Sad.
Now that you mention it...*life flashing before my eyes*