The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Inappropriate Wording

16U ASA Regional Tourney. We got 2 teams playing for a National Bid because of some backdoor dealings. Both are from the that part of the state, Southern Cal.

I'm the BU. From the first pitch coach starts in about the pitcher being Illegal, trust me, she wasn't. Coach trys to come out on the field and stand over along the fence "to see what I was seeing. " I ran him quickly back into the dugout. He keeps running his mouth for the whole top of the first.
The manager is the 3B coach. After the inning I talk to the manager and I said " Put a muzzle on him or give him directions to the hotel. "
I didn't say like a meanie or with attitude, not much anyway, but professional.

Partner thought I was over the line.....

What say you guys ?

PS. For what its worth not a peep from that point on. Also they won and I had them again.

By game 2 he was my long lost drinking buddy.

Last edited by Chess Ref; Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 03:35pm.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

I probably wouldn't have put it that way. You're basically comparing him to a dog.

I've been guilty of putting my foot in my mouth as well. I once told a leftfielder "shut your mouth," which is throwing disrespect on top of disrespect.

Be the bigger person (despite how much we REALLY want to stomp 'em).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
You're basically comparing him to a dog .
Don't insult my dogs.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 04:21pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I wouldn't have used those words, but something along the line of, "Coach, reign in your assistant or he's risking finishing the game out in the parking lot." I know this isn't the best sounding line, but the manager will get it so fast, the assistant's head will spin.

And before you think I'm being high and mighty, yes, I've said some things I've wished back. I told a manager in slow-pitch once that his batter needed to knock off the Chevy Chase imitation of President Ford or I was going to impeach his a$$ to the parking lot. I just couldn't believe this dude was drunk enough for a coed rec game that he had to swing and miss so wildly he was falling down, and it was the second time during the game. The first time I just marked it off as him really swinging and missing, but the second, nah, I knew he was drunk off his a$$.

One inappropriate wording I heard from a partner once was "Coach, wheel yourself right out of here" while ejecting a manager who was in a wheelchair. After the game, the partner felt bad about his word choice, which he said in the heat of the moment in a travel team league.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
I wouldn't have used those words, but something along the line of, "Coach, reign in your assistant or he's risking finishing the game out in the parking lot." I know this isn't the best sounding line, but the manager will get it so fast, the assistant's head will spin.
I usually tell the coach that so-and-so had better cool it, or that they're skating on thin ice. If I'm addressing the player/coach directly about their own behavior, I tell them, "that's enough." I'm not out to put on a show or to make a fella look the fool. I let them do that on their own.

Quote:
And before you think I'm being high and mighty, yes, I've said some things I've wished back. I told a manager in slow-pitch once that his batter needed to knock off the Chevy Chase imitation of President Ford or I was going to impeach his a$$ to the parking lot. I just couldn't believe this dude was drunk enough for a coed rec game that he had to swing and miss so wildly he was falling down, and it was the second time during the game. The first time I just marked it off as him really swinging and missing, but the second, nah, I knew he was drunk off his a$$.
Sometimes, you just can't help it. Someone gets under your skin, the moment seizes you, and you just have to say it. I'm sure that everyone's been there. And sometimes, just sometimes... It's damn funny.

Quote:
One inappropriate wording I heard from a partner once was "Coach, wheel yourself right out of here" while ejecting a manager who was in a wheelchair. After the game, the partner felt bad about his word choice, which he said in the heat of the moment in a travel team league.
Wow. Don't know if I would've gone there. I had this image come to mind as a potential reaction from the coach...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
16U ASA Regional Tourney. We got 2 teams playing for a National Bid because of some backdoor dealings. Both are from the that part of the state, Southern Cal.

I'm the BU. From the first pitch coach starts in about the pitcher being Illegal, trust me, she wasn't. Coach trys to come out on the field and stand over along the fence "to see what I was seeing. " I ran him quickly back into the dugout. He keeps running his mouth for the whole top of the first.
The manager is the 3B coach. After the inning I talk to the manager and I said " Put a muzzle on him or give him directions to the hotel. "
I didn't say like a meanie or with attitude, not much anyway, but professional.

Partner thought I was over the line.....

What say you guys ?

PS. For what its worth not a peep from that point on. Also they won and I had them again.

By game 2 he was my long lost drinking buddy.
Not a problem with me. Of course, he may not have lasted that long with me. He is an adult (allegedly) and responsible for his own actions. I find nothing inappropriate with any word you used. Tell your partner to go back to the commune.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quash that right away. You waited too long to have him muzzled. I would have told him myself and then probably warned the coach between innings. I also have no problem with the wording.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
Don't insult my dogs.
I know, right? My dog at least knows when a pitcher is legal or not, 'cause he barks twice when she's not.

ChessRef: I don't think the wording was over the line or insulting. However, I personnally try not to choose words that could be interpreted as a challenge. I usually get better results by keeping it simple instead of trying to find some 'cute' phrase.

It could have been just as easily handle with, "Coach, we can't have that from your assistant coach, so you should take care of it before we have to."

(I also agree you probably should have done it a little earlier.)
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
I know, right? My dog at least knows when a pitcher is legal or not, 'cause he barks twice when she's not.

ChessRef: I don't think the wording was over the line or insulting. However, I personnally try not to choose words that could be interpreted as a challenge. I usually get better results by keeping it simple instead of trying to find some 'cute' phrase.

It could have been just as easily handle with, "Coach, we can't have that from your assistant coach, so you should take care of it before we have to."

(I also agree you probably should have done it a little earlier.)

Not a problem with the wording at all
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Given the context and the constant barking by the coach, the phrase seems quite accurate. It worked here but could backfire with someone else as SC Ump suggests.

I think the important question is would your UIC be ok with this language.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

100% inappropriate and unprofessional
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

It's not like you told him to shut his forking mouth. Heck, I might even give you points for originality.

I might have muzzled him earlier, but I also know I wasn't there. Personally, I would have no problem with what you said.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 05:27am
Official Forum Member

at a tourney in PA there was a guy that told the coach to shut the
F up and sit on his bucket.( just for context the site was REALLY spread out) The coach talked to a friend of mine who was the UIC and the UIC of the site was adiment that an umpire would NEVER say that .... so when the umpire came off the field the UIC asked " Hey what did you tell that coach?" ... Umpire replied, " Oh that one?... I told him to shut the F up and sit on his bucket." So the UIC had to actually apologize to a coach ... something I know that guy has never done before and btw he didnt just say F he used the whole word that I am abbriviating

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu View Post
at a tourney in PA there was a guy that told the coach to shut the
F up and sit on his bucket.( just for context the site was REALLY spread out) The coach talked to a friend of mine who was the UIC and the UIC of the site was adiment that an umpire would NEVER say that .... so when the umpire came off the field the UIC asked " Hey what did you tell that coach?" ... Umpire replied, " Oh that one?... I told him to shut the F up and sit on his bucket." So the UIC had to actually apologize to a coach ... something I know that guy has never done before and btw he didnt just say F he used the whole word that I am abbriviating
So what? Who cares? Its a ****ing word used for emphasis!!! It can only cause harm to those choosing to perceive the word as harmful. Anyone offended by a simple word must be into self-desecration and/or self-pity.

WTF is wrong with the people of this country? Nothing, but a bunch of damn commies! Next thing you know, a soccer game is going to break out!

Join P-O-O-P now!
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

OK lets have inappropriate time..

A real jerk of a coach was nagging on my UIC about an issue. I'm getting ready to start my game so I walk past them, he starts nagging at me about calls and this and that. Hes really going on and on while walking with me onto the field. Im probably 30 feet into the field (coming in from RF) and I dump him. He says "I'm not even playing and now I got you!" I look at the teams, and yep, its not even his teams on the field. Hes literally nagging at me for nothing. So I say "Well then, youre an @$$hole.".

A 14U player warming up heard it and gasped , he acted like he'd never heard the word @$$hole and vowed I'd never work again and went running to the UIC. He also summoned the girl as exhibit A.

Totally lame but I got a good talking too.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Tue Jul 14, 2009 at 07:34am.