The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Infield in the rule book

So I was reviewing definitions in the rule book last night and learned something new, that probably has no application whatsoever -- and even then probably wouldn't have been intentional -- but I thought I'd ask.

The infield is defined as the area normally covered by the infielders. And the infielders are the people who cover the area around 3rd, short, 2nd, and 1st. So the infield --by rule-- does not include the area normally defended by the pitcher. Does that definition affect any rule whatsoever?
________
WEB SHOWS

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:03pm.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
So I was reviewing definitions in the rule book last night and learned something new, that probably has no application whatsoever -- and even then probably wouldn't have been intentional -- but I thought I'd ask.

The infield is defined as the area normally covered by the infielders. And the infielders are the people who cover the area around 3rd, short, 2nd, and 1st. So the infield --by rule-- does not include the area normally defended by the pitcher. Does that definition affect any rule whatsoever?
It can affect coed SP play. There are to be 2 male outfielders and 2 female outfielders, along with 2 male infielders and 2 female infielders.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post

Only the IFR which was amended a couple years ago to separately list the pitcher and catcher with an infielder.