The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kgeorge0263
Very inappropriate comments from fans and how to address

It has now happened 2 times to me where a fan has made a very inappropriate racial comment towards me during my basketball games.

The first situation, I was called a "chink" in some manner where they yelled about either my calls or not having calls for their team. I was offended, but did not let it bother me. I looked into the crowd to let that individual know I heard them, but could not pinpoint the individual.

Today, I had someone say something similar with chinaman in it. Same thing...I could not tell who it was.

What do you think is appropriate to do in this situation? I know certain races/ethnicities are highly offended by certain words used against them, so being a proud Korean, I do take offense to these comments.

Any words of wisdom would be helpful.....

Thanks...
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

I am disgusted too...

I would suggest you inform game management, and your partner(s), about the comments from that section of the gym. GM should deal with it from that point.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:08pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeorge0263 View Post
It has now happened 2 times to me where a fan has made a very inappropriate racial comment towards me during my basketball games.

The first situation, I was called a "chink" in some manner where they yelled about either my calls or not having calls for their team. I was offended, but did not let it bother me. I looked into the crowd to let that individual know I heard them, but could not pinpoint the individual.

Today, I had someone say something similar with chinaman in it. Same thing...I could not tell who it was.

What do you think is appropriate to do in this situation? I know certain races/ethnicities are highly offended by certain words used against them, so being a proud Korean, I do take offense to these comments.

Thanks...
When racism towards an official comes up, it needs to be dealt with immediately, and to the fullest extent of your authority. The game is stopped and the person is removed immediately. For me, this is about as close to "always" as I can imagine.

If a team is on a scoring threat, wait until after the basket before stopping play. Find game management and inform him of the situation... that the game does not start again until the fan is identified and removed.

Even if some comment didn't bother you, the same comment might offend another official, and we need to be consistent in these matters.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

If you can identify the fan, have the fan removed immediately by the game administrator. If you can't identify the offender, have the game administrator stand or sit near that section of fans. Racial slurs should never be tolerated and are immediate grounds for removal.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
백치를 묵살하십시오
:d
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Yeah, That's What I Really Think ...

그를 제거했습니다
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
When racism towards an official comes up, it needs to be dealt with immediately, and to the fullest extent of your authority. The game is stopped and the person is removed immediately. For me, this is about as close to "always" as I can imagine.

If a team is on a scoring threat, wait until after the basket before stopping play. Find game management and inform him of the situation... that the game does not start again until the fan is identified and removed.

Even if some comment didn't bother you, the same comment might offend another official, and we need to be consistent in these matters.
good advice
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

That is what I was trying to say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post

The challenge comes when you do not have readily available "Game Management." Some of the lower level games I have worked the GM was the home team coach. However, at that level it is much easier to identify to disrespectful "fan" and have them removed.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeorge0263 View Post

Thanks...
I know that I very well may be in the minority, here, but I try to completely block out any comments directed at me. My hair is rather short; My forehead is a bit, uh, long; I have bushy eyebrows to the point that I have been referred to as "unibrow"; I am somewhat taller than average; and I weigh a decent amount less than average (some may say thin); I have pretty big feet (not quite clown-like, but big); I get up and down the court rather quickly, but my long arms and legs can look stork-like to some; I happen to be Irish and German (so I like to drink and I can get mad when I do); and I'm not the best lookin' guy in the gym. The bottom line is that there are lots of things people can identify to try to get under my skin.

Each of my regular officiating partners have a similar length list of personal characteristics (or deficiencies). When one or more of us are being pestered by a fan, we do our best to work as a team to block out the individual(s).

Yes, you can, in many cases, go to the AD and have the individual(s) removed. I personally choose to ignore the commentary. I attempt to stick to the old adage "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

I will not criticize you for asking for assistance from an AD, but I try to focus solely on the game. I will typically only take action against a fan in two situations:
1. The fan is using language that may be offensive to either the players or spectators around them or
2. The fan's verbal outbursts are affecting the attitudes of the players (his constant badgering is causing the kids to complain about the officiating).

Other than that, I try my darnedest to just ignore them. I do not want to give them the satisfaction that they have been able to get under my skin.

As I stated at the outset, my views on this topic very well may be in the minority, but it has worked well for me.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 10:47pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
I know that I very well may be in the minority, here, but I try to completely block out any comments directed at me. My hair is rather short; My forehead is a bit, uh, long; I have bushy eyebrows to the point that I have been referred to as "unibrow"; I am somewhat taller than average; and I weigh a decent amount less than average (some may say thin); I have pretty big feet (not quite clown-like, but big); I get up and down the court rather quickly, but my long arms and legs can look stork-like to some; I happen to be Irish and German (so I like to drink and I can get mad when I do); and I'm not the best lookin' guy in the gym. The bottom line is that there are lots of things people can identify to try to get under my skin.

Each of my regular officiating partners have a similar length list of personal characteristics (or deficiencies). When one or more of us are being pestered by a fan, we do our best to work as a team to block out the individual(s).

Yes, you can, in many cases, go to the AD and have the individual(s) removed. I personally choose to ignore the commentary. I attempt to stick to the old adage "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

I will not criticize you for asking for assistance from an AD, but I try to focus solely on the game. I will typically only take action against a fan in two situations:
1. The fan is using language that may be offensive to either the players or spectators around them or
2. The fan's verbal outbursts are affecting the attitudes of the players (his constant badgering is causing the kids to complain about the officiating).

Other than that, I try my darnedest to just ignore them. I do not want to give them the satisfaction that they have been able to get under my skin.

As I stated at the outset, my views on this topic very well may be in the minority, but it has worked well for me.
Big difference from the OP's complaint. BIG difference.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty simple for me:

1) Racial slurs

2) Profanity

Those two can get you booted...otherwise, pretty much ignore.
Richland, WA
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Believe it or not, I understand your choice....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
... I try to completely block out any comments directed at me. .... The bottom line is that there are lots of things people can identify to try to get under my skin.

If you followed my first response.... I did not advocate for a stoppage of the game. I suggested making the AD/GM aware of the comments and trust they will promptly deal with the situation. At that point, I refocus on the game.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Big difference from the OP's complaint. BIG difference.
How is it different if someone calls me a Mick or a Big Hitler or a Nazi? Why is that different than the OP? Because of the color of my skin? These are still slurs. Or should these slurs be treated differently for some reason? They are still inappropriate. I still maintain that blocking out such commentary is the most effective.

But, once again, I understand that I am in the minority, here.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williebfree View Post
If you followed my first response.... I did not advocate for a stoppage of the game. I suggested making the AD/GM aware of the comments and trust they will promptly deal with the situation. At that point, I refocus on the game.
I would also add that if, as an official, you are losing your focus on the game due to the commentary being used, you now need to get game management involved to have the individual(s) removed. It is a corollary to my reason 2. for removing a spectator. In this case, their actions are not affecting the play of the players, but are affecting the ability of the official to perform his/her duties as an official.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 11:42pm
In Time Out

----Op,.Or if a player comes up to me and says they are hearing racist things then I'm getting some sort of admin person over there to the trouble area right away.
I wasn't a ref at the time but I've known of trouble from white fans and I've seen a black fan get kicked out for it too. schools don't want to be embarrassed or have that sort of rep so hopefully they will deal with it promptly.