The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
So what? Who cares? Its a ****ing word used for emphasis!!! It can only cause harm to those choosing to perceive the word as harmful. Anyone offended by a simple word must be into self-desecration and/or self-pity.

WTF is wrong with the people of this country? Nothing, but a bunch of damn commies! Next thing you know, a soccer game is going to break out!

Join P-O-O-P now!
Well, anyone who's ever met me for longer than 2 minutes will know that "F" is my favorite word in the dictionary, and I'm notorious for using it creatively. At work, I don't fix computers, I unf*** them.

However, it is my opinion that as an umpire, it is my job to comport myself in a fashion that is befitting and respectful of the uniform I wear. It is what sets me apart from coaches and players. They can cuss and swear and b1tch and moan all they want. For me to behave as they do would be for me to drop down to their level. Why debase myself that way (even though I'd love to tell half the coaches and players out there to go f*** themselves)?

On the field, I do my best to behave as a gentleman. Off the field, I'm like a f***ing sailor.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Last year I muttered under my breath that 'people from Richmond are idiots', I had a fan/dad/coach that was yelling about every pitch in the batters box that I should have called a strike. The catcher complained to her coach(see guy above) and then he complained to the UIC, groomsman in the upcoming nuptials. HE ranted to the UIC for a bit and then said 'the worst part is I'm not even from Richmond, I'm from Chesterfield'. Now, admittedly, Chesterfield is about 10 miles away, but I am sure that when he is away somewhere and tells people he is from Chesterfield they ask what it is close to and he replies, it's a suburb of Richmond.

The best part is, when I got my 'talking to' the UIC said "You've been talked to and by the way, that guy is an idiot!".
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

I really don't care what word to which anyone is referring.

If I wanted to live in the type of world this country is becoming, I would have been born in Communist Russia.

Acting in a professional manner is an obvious must for an umpire. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean we are not allowed to speak and use words meant to communicate an idea, meaning or intention. The word "muzzle" was an appropriate word to use in the scenario described. Of course, if anyone would bother using a dictionary, that would be a no brainer.

From Merriam-Webster:
Main Entry:
1muz·zle
Pronunciation:
\ˈmə-zəl\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English mosel, from Middle French musel, from Old French *mus mouth of an animal, from Medieval Latin musus
Date: 15th century
1: the projecting jaws and nose of an animal : snout
2 a: a fastening or covering for the mouth of an animal used to prevent eating or biting
b: something (as censorship) that restrains normal expression
3: the open end of an implement ; especially : the discharging end of a weapon

But in our present society, people think the worse and it makes them feel superior by finding fault in others instead of examing their own reflection.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Yes, society has gotten a little too tender, and I agree it needs to "toughen up" some. You and I are on the same wavelength, Mike (just ask my wife - she's heard plenty of rants from me on the subject). And yes, I believe that words are just words, and that it's the listener's context that makes their meaning take shape. Not the speaker's, but the listener's. If it were the speaker's context, no one would ever be misunderstood, now would they?

However, when I'm on the field, I always choose my words carefully. Not because I'm afraid of offending someone's overly-delicate senses, but because I believe that allowing yourself to express yourself in that fashion while in uniform doesn't illustrate a cool, calm and collected umpire in control of the game. Coaches and players will always push to see if they can break us, and when you slip into using profanity, that's when they've got you. At that point, you're playing their game, not yours. You've lost your composure, you're no longer in control, and you're in for a long f***ing game.

My advice? Just don't do it. We already have enough problems out on the field, and playing down to the coaches'/players' game just adds fuel to the fire.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The word "muzzle" was an appropriate word to use in the scenario described. Of course, if anyone would bother using a dictionary, that would be a no brainer.

I used it. No pejorative associations with the word. Used by writers in newspapers all the time.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But in our present society, people think the worse and it makes them feel superior by finding fault in others instead of examing their own reflection.
I know a guy who is still waiting for the national he was promised back in 2006...and his biggest sin was rather quietly using IT as an adjective in a slow pitch game ... blood is boiling, I better go play Monopoly or something!