The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Awarding Bases

I need a little help.

The batter hits the ball to the outfield.
The outfielder catches the ball and throws to first trying to double up R1 before he tags up. The throw ends up going out of play before the runner makes it back to first. Can you please tell me where the runner should end up?
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiron01 View Post
I need a little help.

The batter hits the ball to the outfield.
The outfielder catches the ball and throws to first trying to double up R1 before he tags up. The throw ends up going out of play before the runner makes it back to first. Can you please tell me where the runner should end up?
Speaking ASA, two bases from the time at which the ball left the fielder's hand (8-5-G). Does not matter if it's a primary throw, secondary throw, etc., as ASA does not have that in their rules.

In ASA, it does not matter which way they're going. It's where they are.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

This is what I thought. Since R1 had already achieved 1B then they would be placed at third.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottiron01 View Post
This is what I thought. Since R1 had already achieved 1B then they would be placed at third.
No, it's because R! is on 1st or between 1st and 2nd. The difference is if R1 passed 2nd then returned, could be past 2nd at the TOT.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
No, it's because R! is on 1st or between 1st and 2nd. The difference is if R1 passed 2nd then returned, could be past 2nd at the TOT.
I don't believe the OP mentions this.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

NCASAUmp... since you mentioned it (and it came up this weekend), the pitch is considered the primary throw, which if thrown out of play, is a one base award.
Is this correct?
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
I had a potentially interesting one last night.

Field with unmarked DB line. F3, off the bag, had secured then bobbled throw, THEN kind of scooped the ball toward where the DB line would have been, after the BR had reached. I was working the plate and determined that it was still in play. My immediate thought was, that if it HAD gone dead, that the BR (actually R1 now)would have got 3B, as the ball would have gone dead on the actions of F3, not because of the throw. My partner disagreed.....I feel I am correct...would I have been right?
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Its 2 bases from the base last touched at the time the ball left the fielders hand.

What was the specifics of his disagreement?
If he had a rule wrong, then post game, grab a rule book and talk it over.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
NCASAUmp... since you mentioned it (and it came up this weekend), the pitch is considered the primary throw, which if thrown out of play, is a one base award.
Is this correct?
There is no such terminology in ASA. USSSA has such terminology, and maybe other orgs as well. But not ASA.

If my amnesia serves me correctly, in USSSA, there's a difference between primary throw and a secondary throw. I THINK the primary throw is the first play made on a runner by an infielder, and a secondary throw is everything else.

However, it's been 13 years since I called USSSA, so someone will probably correct me on this.

Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
I had a potentially interesting one last night.

Field with unmarked DB line. F3, off the bag, had secured then bobbled throw, THEN kind of scooped the ball toward where the DB line would have been, after the BR had reached. I was working the plate and determined that it was still in play. My immediate thought was, that if it HAD gone dead, that the BR (actually R1 now)would have got 3B, as the ball would have gone dead on the actions of F3, not because of the throw. My partner disagreed.....I feel I am correct...would I have been right?
In this situation, the fielder secured the ball and then lost possession (unintentionally) into dead ball territory. The award is one base from the time the ball enetered DBT. 8-5-G EXCEPTION 1.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Is this correct?

The pitch is just that, a pitch. For the purposed of the rules it is not a throw, primary or otherwise.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I don't believe the OP mentions this.
Correct, just correcting "achieved 1B", in another post.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I had never heard of "primary" and "secondary" throws in any code. Apparently some codes do recognize them, but ASA always awards two bases TOT, even for runners who must retouch bases left before a catch.

OBR, however, distinguishes between "first play by an infielder," which is two bases TOP, and all other throws, which are two bases TOT.

A common myth in both baseball and softball is that awards are determined by whether the errant throw came from the infield or the outfield.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
I had never heard of "primary" and "secondary" throws in any code. Apparently some codes do recognize them, but ASA always awards two bases TOT, even for runners who must retouch bases left before a catch.

OBR, however, distinguishes between "first play by an infielder," which is two bases TOP, and all other throws, which are two bases TOT.

A common myth in both baseball and softball is that awards are determined by whether the errant throw came from the infield or the outfield.
Again, forgive my hazy memory from my brief U-trip days. The term "primary" and "secondary" when relating to throws was simply a term that people used in trainings. They're not part of the official vernacular, but I believe most U-Trip umpires (at least 13 years ago) knew what it meant.

Then again, all of us know what a double-fist pump means. Doesn't mean it's right.

Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
In this situation, the fielder secured the ball and then lost possession (unintentionally) into dead ball territory. The award is one base from the time the ball enetered DBT. 8-5-G EXCEPTION 1.
Thanks!