The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Situation: 1st and 2nd 1 out. Bunt down third base line. F5 fields and throws over F3 into DBT. R1 was at second by the time F5 picked up ball. B1 was on first base when the ball sailed over F3's head.

Easy question: What is the base award?

Hard question: How long is the discussion between PU & BU to answer the easy question?(Hint: at least one of them I know has min. 10 years HS experience). Real answer later.

This occured in my son's 16 & under game yesterday using FED rules.
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Under both FED and OBR, award is two bases from time of the pitch, since throw was infielder's first play. Thus, R2 is awarded home, R1 is awarded 3B, and BR is awarded 2B. No discussion should be necessary between PU and BU since this award is usually well known. But if PU and BU are somehow confused, they should discuss until they get it right.

[Edited by insatty on Jul 8th, 2002 at 11:46 AM]
Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

As you describe it, the throw is the first play by an infielder after a batted ball. Correct award is 2 bases from base occupied at time of pitch unless all runners, including the batter-runner, have advanced at least one base at the time of the throw (not to be confused with when the ball becomes dead).

If all have advanced that one base by time of throw, then the award would be two bases from base occupied at time of throw. That occurrence, however, is a rarity in baseball.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Mon Jul 08, 2002, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Cool What time is it?

Steve,
Assuming that was the first play by the INFIELDER, the proper award goes from the Time of the Pitch. Basic knowledge of the rules would probably have averted what I'm guessing was a fairly lengthy discussion between the umpires. Am I right?
Jerry

P.S. Don't feel too bad. I had a prestigious tournament this past weekend. The PU was one of my old-time partners. Guess who yelled out "Hands are part of the bat! Hands are part of the bat!" when the batter "hit" a foul ball with his hands?
Old Tue Jul 09, 2002, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Wink

The PU & BU took 15 minutes to decide this call. The offensive coach wanted B1 to get third because he was on the base when the throw went over the bag. Our coach "knew" it was second and third because you get the one you're going to plus one.
Old Tue Jul 09, 2002, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Smile

As an umpire awarding of bases is probably the one area where beginning umpires need to know cold. Interference and obstruction rarely occur but throws in dead ball area are common.

Need to know:

Pitcher throws from the mound situations
Infielder throws on batted ball situations
Outfielder throws on batted ball situations

Watch out for those "crafty" managers who know the rules but when there team is on offense will test you. "Hey, Blue runner was on second when throw went in the dugout. He gets home, right?" is probably the most common comment.