The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Gerry Davis Stance for softball

I have been using this stance for softball for the past two years. I have been more locked in than ever. When I go work ASA I go back to the traditional box stance but I feel so much more confident in the GD than anything. I know it locks my head in and I have yet to miss high or low "consistantly" maybe here or there.. I just wanted to hear what everone else thought about the stance

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Love it. Been using it in youth ball for 4 yrs. Started using it in college when it became approved. Very quiet, easier on the quads, and looks strong IMO. Can't imagine going back.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

What is the Gerry Davis stance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Love it. Been using it in youth ball for 4 yrs. Started using it in college when it became approved. Very quiet, easier on the quads, and looks strong IMO. Can't imagine going back.
Can you describe it for me? Is it different than what some refer to as the scissors? Can you clear the catcher with the Gerry Davis stance? I believe it was a couple of years ago during the WCWS that the home plate umpire got in the way of the catcher fielding a foul ball around the plate because he couldn't clear the catcher. I believe he was using the scissors stance.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Can you describe it for me? Is it different than what some refer to as the scissors? Can you clear the catcher with the Gerry Davis stance? I believe it was a couple of years ago during the WCWS that the home plate umpire got in the way of the catcher fielding a foul ball around the plate because he couldn't clear the catcher. I believe he was using the scissors stance.
Read this. It should answer most questions you have.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu View Post
I have been using this stance for softball for the past two years. I have been more locked in than ever. When I go work ASA I go back to the traditional box stance but I feel so much more confident in the GD than anything. I know it locks my head in and I have yet to miss high or low "consistantly" maybe here or there.. I just wanted to hear what everone else thought about the stance
Still using the standard heel/toe stance because that is what I am most comfortable with.

Why do you not use the GD stance when you call softball? I see absolutely no reason to change stances because of the type of game you are working. Stick with what works best and is most comfortable for you.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Still using the standard heel/toe stance because that is what I am most comfortable with.

Why do you not use the GD stance when you call softball? I see absolutely no reason to change stances because of the type of game you are working. Stick with what works best and is most comfortable for you.

I do use it in softball. NCAA PONY FED and a few others dont care. ASA and ISC seem to care. The ASA guys around here want us to remain in the heel toe box.

Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu View Post
Why I don't like it:

Tends to lock an umpire into the same position whether the batter is 4'0" or 6'2". The umpire's eyes will always be at the same height, but the strike zone would need to move.

In softball, there seems to be more body movement (as opposed to just the glove) by the catcher than in the little ball game. Because you are set further behind the catcher, the movement shouldn't bother you more, but I would think the outside corner may be harder to see.

Places the hands on the knees/legs. I am not a big fan of broken fingers, hands or, ouch, knuckles. While keeping one's hands loose and hanging does not guarantee complete safety, is does reduce the force of impact and likely reduce the level of severity being hit by the ball may cause.

JMHO
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Why I don't like it:

Tends to lock an umpire into the same position whether the batter is 4'0" or 6'2". The umpire's eyes will always be at the same height, but the strike zone would need to move.

In softball, there seems to be more body movement (as opposed to just the glove) by the catcher than in the little ball game. Because you are set further behind the catcher, the movement shouldn't bother you more, but I would think the outside corner may be harder to see.

Places the hands on the knees/legs. I am not a big fan of broken fingers, hands or, ouch, knuckles. While keeping one's hands loose and hanging does not guarantee complete safety, is does reduce the force of impact and likely reduce the level of severity being hit by the ball may cause.

JMHO
I can respect that. the only real response I have is: I dont work it from way back like the baseball system. I work the slot from no more than a foot away from the catcher. I know that the clinics I have been to taught us to make the chin in line with the bottom of the catchers head thus putting it in the same posistion everytime for each catcher. I also dont miss outside pitches because I work the slot and closer to the catcher like I previously said. So I work a "modified" gerry davis I should more accurately say.

Again I can respect what your saying and I appriciate your input

Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Why I don't like it:

JMHO
I can't imagine a correct strike zone w/o adjusting to the height of each batter.

If you ever see me on the field with my hands on my knees, call medical.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

I just started using it this year and I really like it. I'm more consitent in my zone and have even had coaches remark about my consitency to me. I really feel better during tournament games during game 7, 8... My timing is better with it too. I do take the weight off my knees just before the pitch arrives so I can react better during as passed ball etc. I'm sold.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

I used it pretty extensively a few weeks ago in mens FP because my catcher was very large and blocked me too much in the slot. It got to be a pain so I went to this stance and it was fine.

I dont believe "locking in" to be as important as baseball umpires sometimes make it seem to be. In fact, its not an issue in my opinion.

I dont believe low inside and outside are as good with davis as with slot with this stance FOR ME... so I prefer slot unless I'm being screened.

I do believe that because of God, Momma, and McDonalds we are all shaped a little different and have different issues and this stance could very well work best for a percentage of umpires; obviously it should be allowed in ASA as an alternate allowable stance.

This is a tool we are not allowed in ASA, which is prone to removing tools from umpires, and that is to the detriment of the organization because some use this the best; similar to a knee, etc... so allow it.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Fri Jun 19, 2009 at 11:49am.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Oh and I took a hellacious foul ball to my mask in the box, one I would not have taken in the slot. And the dude was throwing about 65 I my bell was rung. I let the catcher know I took that shot because he blocks me inside and forces me to adjust.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'm glad to see somebody posting on this subject. I went to the GD a few years ago and have never felt more confident behind the plate. I back up pretty far, too.

However, when I started (in baseball) back in the 1960s, I was strictly "over the top" (with a balloon) like most umpires in those days. After years of that, I found moving to the "slot" very difficult when it became the norm. I felt too close and couldn't really judge the outside corner. I know that others will scoff, but I didn't feel confident on high pitches and tended to lower the top of the zone.

With the GD, I can still go up or down with the various heights of batters. I also get a better view of what happens in terms of checked swings, balls hitting of the batter's foot, and so on. To me, the only drawback of the GD is that with my hands on my thighs, my arms tend to lock and not "give" when balls hit them. Maybe I'm doing that part wrong. Of course, I agree with the other posters who say that you have to use what works for yourself.

Incidentally, I used the GD in the 2006 ASA 16u finals in NJ. The state UIC told me that he didn't understand how I could see the pitch in that position, but he didn't ask me to change.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Oh and I took a hellacious foul ball to my mask in the box, one I would not have taken in the slot. And the dude was throwing about 65 I my bell was rung. I let the catcher know I took that shot because he blocks me inside and forces me to adjust.
Wade - taking a shot like that in men's ball and he's only throwing 65, you should feel lucky. Watch some of the big boys you're starting to see in ISC ball, 65 is slow.
That being said, I've been lucky too. A couple of year's ago in a college game, I took a foul off of dead center on the mask. I lost about 2 innings - so I'm sure there was some sort of concussion.

I like the slot with a box stance. My knees prefer something similar to the modified GD stance that Kcg described. So, in those tournaments where I'm working more than 1-on, 1-off, I'm going with the modified GD stance.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Wade - taking a shot like that in men's ball and he's only throwing 65, you should feel lucky. Watch some of the big boys you're starting to see in ISC ball, 65 is slow.
That being said, I've been lucky too. A couple of year's ago in a college game, I took a foul off of dead center on the mask. I lost about 2 innings - so I'm sure there was some sort of concussion.
Yeah, sure, blame it on the foul ball

Quote:
I like the slot with a box stance. My knees prefer something similar to the modified GD stance that Kcg described. So, in those tournaments where I'm working more than 1-on, 1-off, I'm going with the modified GD stance.