Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Yeah, sure, blame it on the foul ball
OK, so I used to have a pony tail and spent close to 3 years on a commune. I'm not spaced out all the time, I'm just (just ask the grandkids) - and since the day job no longer is storage management, I can truly say I'm no longer a space cadet
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Wade - taking a shot like that in men's ball and he's only throwing 65, you should feel lucky. Watch some of the big boys you're starting to see in ISC ball, 65 is slow.
That being said, I've been lucky too. A couple of year's ago in a college game, I took a foul off of dead center on the mask. I lost about 2 innings - so I'm sure there was some sort of concussion.

I like the slot with a box stance. My knees prefer something similar to the modified GD stance that Kcg described. So, in those tournaments where I'm working more than 1-on, 1-off, I'm going with the modified GD stance.
pfff couple of innings!

I had my excuse for the rest of the game!

And I wasnt afraid to use it neither
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
I'm glad to see somebody posting on this subject. I went to the GD a few years ago and have never felt more confident behind the plate. I back up pretty far, too.
So I guess it's worked out well for you since this post.

Sorry, I was looking around for info on GD, and came up with that thread. Unfortunately, the link on that thread is no longer valid, but I believe I found the referenced article here.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

So I guess it's worked out well for you since this post.

Hey! Good sleuthing. In October 2005 I asked about the GD, and then from the responses read about it. And in 2006 I tried, liked it, and stuck with it.

I learned something from this thread, though: that there are GD shin guards with a place for your hands. I get the GD catalog and didn't even see those.
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

I have them and use them at times. THey are very bulky. I call them my Goalie shin guards.

They are good shin guards though. Never felt a thing. They also have a ankle guard that I really like.

Lately I've stuck with my honigs, but I wore those for 2 seasons.
Old Sat Jun 20, 2009, 10:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

The GD allows you to adjust your head height, if you want. Just spread your legs a bit wider if you want your head height to be a bit lower. You can slide your hands up your legs slightly if you do this.

I am baseball only, have tried it, and it doesn't work for me. I'm a traditional box, heel-to-toe guy. I just think it is a personal choice. I can't believe an organization would try to dictate how one works the plate -- the results of whatever you do should be what speaks on the matter.
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

I used this stance this weekend with some men's ball, modified a bit for softball as in:
-in the slot
-closer than an arm length+
-my thumb was behind the edge of my leg guards instead of my hands just above knees - this protects against what I think is a possibility of broken fingers.

The only difference that I'm aware of is that I was set up higher than I normally am. I don't know yet whether I'm a fan of this stance yet, but... I intend to use it again, maybe even next weekend in some youth ball. My knees certainly feel better, I had just as good a look at the low pitches (based on partner feedback).
Old Sun Jun 21, 2009, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Got a look at the new Gerry Davis guards; I have the old ones.

VERY sharp.
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

I Just want to say that regaurdless what stance I use the slot. Its the only way to see the pitches. This is also How its taught for baseball and anyone who tells you different has not been working it correctly.

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Mon Jun 22, 2009, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

I was researching this stance after reading this string and it appears that the GD stance would be easier on the knee's.
I have bad knee's and worry that they will force me to quit umpiring sooner than I would like. I don't think it will be anytime soon, but somewhere down the road.
Am I correct that it is easier on your knee's?
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 05:32am
Official Forum Member

It can be easier on the knees. However if you work a lot of youth ( like Id say 12u ball) then the amount you would have to spread your legs out to get down that low is probably be just as uncomefortable. However the pressure is on the outside of the knee not the actual tendens and critical parts. I personally have no problems with it

Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN ASA BLUE View Post
I was researching this stance after reading this string and it appears that the GD stance would be easier on the knee's.
I have bad knee's and worry that they will force me to quit umpiring sooner than I would like. I don't think it will be anytime soon, but somewhere down the road.
Am I correct that it is easier on your knee's?
Knees? If you are having problems with your knees, you might want to check your execution, not the stance. Early season issues with your quads I could see, but the issue with which I am most concerned is the back.

Actually, I've seen some exaggerated wide stances that hurt my knees just looking at them. Even with ASA's heel-toe, GPA stance, the concern is more upon a slight turn of the toes out so that the knees basically "toggle" over the feet instead of being forced into an uncomfortable position. I concentrate on that and my knees feel little to no pressure. And that is from someone who has a bad one and just got a new one last year.
Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Knees? If you are having problems with your knees, you might want to check your execution, not the stance. Early season issues with your quads I could see, but the issue with which I am most concerned is the back.

Actually, I've seen some exaggerated wide stances that hurt my knees just looking at them. Even with ASA's heel-toe, GPA stance, the concern is more upon a slight turn of the toes out so that the knees basically "toggle" over the feet instead of being forced into an uncomfortable position. I concentrate on that and my knees feel little to no pressure. And that is from someone who has a bad one and just got a new one last year.
agreed I actually turn my feet out like that in whatever stance I am working. no matter what is going on that helps with your knees and adjustment in the head height.

Old Tue Jun 23, 2009, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

You guys are dead on about the turning of the toes. It helps. I forgot to do it in one game where I used the GD and boy did my knees and back hurt.
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

My feet re actually closer together than most. If I get too wide then my knee's will really bark at me. I have even been told by UIC's that my feet should be wider because it "looks" as if it would be harder on my knee's, but it's not. I do turn my feet out as well.
This is what works for me and my knee's. I have had a replacement in my left knee for over 10 years now. Hopefully I can keep going

Thanks everyone!!!