The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

I read about and found a good description on the Gerry Davis stance. I work from the knee and it leaves my lower back sore afterwards and the next day so I thought I'd give it a try because it is supposed to be easy on the knees and back.

It is a much different view (I actually thought about abandoning it after the first inning because I didn't feel comfortable with what I was seeing - I did start getting comfortable about the 3rd inning) and it was easy on the lower back and knees, but put a bit more stress on the shoulders. When working solo, it was much easier getting around. The view of the plate when all was right (see below about catchers) was good particularly for low and outside pitches and made close high pitches much easier to judge.

Someone did comment that it is a system that assumes good catchers and pitchers. I will agree with that. I felt like a sitting duck. Took numerous balls off various parts of my equipment and ducked a few at my head. Fortunatley all the hits were off equipment and not body parts.

Also with inexperienced catchers, they set up so high or reached so far forward with their mit up that it blocked my view of the plate some of the time. One other problem I had was that I found that the lower bar of my mask blocked the view of the ball at some point because the set position is high with the head level. When I had myself set up what I felt was good, the lower bar was just in front of the plate. I made some adjustments so it was not in my view at that point, but the ball still passed through the bar at some point on the way in. A bit of a distraction in tracking the ball.

Anyone else try it? Any recommendations? How did you adjust to keep from having the young catchers block your view of the plate?
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

I tried it in a 9-10 game two nights ago. I used to do the knee for these games, but the last time I did that I came away with a knee bruise. I got hit in the right arm below the elbow, took one off the mask and got a bat upside my neck. I can still feel the right arm hit. Fact is you are going to get hit in this age group no matter what stance you use becaue the catchers can't catch. I had no problem seeing the plate from anywhere, even way back, because the catchers were tiny, and setting up way behind the plate also. I had a sore neck for the first inning or so until I remembered I am supposed to drop my rear, and after I started doing this my neck was in less strain.

However, I did not come away from the game with a sore back, sore knees, or sore toes (from doing the knee) so mission accomplished.
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ecurebel
^ don if you are talking about dropping to a knee to see the pitches i disagree with you, it is harder to see from the knee than it is standing up with a perpendicular back.

i can not and will not drop to a knee for the younger kids because it is totally uncofortable and does bring your head to the top of the catchers head at all times.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aepitaz Send a message via Yahoo to aepitaz
Cool Worked 11/12 all year with GD....

I have worked all year using the GD stance. I use it for 11/12s 60ft diamond and HS games at the regular distance. While I do find myself feeling slighly exposed, I noticed that I don't seem be hit any more than my partners are when they are doing the plate.

I find that I get a great look at the plate, have a consistent strike zone for the entire game, and feel good enough to do double headers behind the plate.

I also find that I have more consistent corner on the outside part of the plate for the high and low pitches.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Did a 12 year old tournament DH on Saturday using the GD, no problems. Pitchers really don't throw hard enough to hurt. It was an opportunity to work out some bad habits I picked up.

Sunday, I had a Legion, 9 inning, 3 hour marathon that ended 14-13. I went home and went running for a workout. Never was I able to do that when working more traditional stances.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass