The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Gerry Davis Stance

I feel like an idiot but seeing as though this will be my 2nd year umpiring i felt I would ask. What is the Gerry Davis stance? I tried to look it up on Google and couldn't find an illustration on it. So if anyone that has a picture can show me, I'd appreciate it.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxley11
I feel like an idiot but seeing as though this will be my 2nd year umpiring i felt I would ask. What is the Gerry Davis stance? I tried to look it up on Google and couldn't find an illustration on it. So if anyone that has a picture can show me, I'd appreciate it.

http://baseball.officiating.com/x/article/2904
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 03:03pm

Tim,

Now if you can edit your post, and turn it into a link. You must add http://www. to the front of it.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

has anyone tried this in little league? I don't know if I should work basically on the knee for 9 year olds. In other words in this stance recommended for 9-12 year olds. I don't really care about getting hit at the age level I do. I just want to be in a stance that I can call strikes as consistently as possible. Thanks
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In other words in this stance recommended for 9-12 year olds.
Why not? .......
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In other words in this stance recommended for 9-12 year olds.
I saw a 12 year old using it last summer. Seemed to work fine for him, give it a try.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
has anyone tried this in little league? I don't know if I should work basically on the knee for 9 year olds. In other words in this stance recommended for 9-12 year olds. I don't really care about getting hit at the age level I do. I just want to be in a stance that I can call strikes as consistently as possible. Thanks
I have: for me it works fine.

No stance or mechanic is "magic" for consistent balls & strikes - it still depends entirely on the ability and competence of the person using it. If you were grossly inconsistent using the box, knee, or scissors [using them CORRECTLY, that is], GD is NOT gonna help. If, however, your problem was a consistent "look" at every pitch; or pitches seeming to "explode" on you, such that you were not following each pitch from F1's hand into the glove: GD might help.

Understand that GD is gonna "look funny", esp. behind a 3-foot tall catcher; you are NOT going to have your head anywhere near where the conventional wisdom says it should be: everyone is gonna be on you about working "so far back". It will require a certain amount of self-confidence on your part to stick with it, get used to how pitches look from GD, and call what you see, in the face of some resistance from the "old guard".
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
CB, I partially agree with you. No matter the stance you use, if you do not use your eyes and follow the pitch completely into the catcher's glove, pause, and THEN call the pitch, you will be inconsistant.

What the GD system does, far and away better then any other stance or position, is to keep your head still, locked in and rock solid. Everytime, and in the same place without fail.

You will also have to get used to calling pitches that you have never been able to see before, either because you are keeping your head still, have set up in an better, more aggressive slot position, or are the proper distance from the catcher.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is a common assumption among many youth umpires that you have to figure out a way to get down low on the kids' level. It simply isn't so. The Gerry Davis stance gives you a great, consistent look at the strikezone every pitch. It will save your knees, too, as a side benefit.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
CB, I partially agree with you. No matter the stance you use, if you do not use your eyes and follow the pitch completely into the catcher's glove, pause, and THEN call the pitch, you will be inconsistant.

What the GD system does, far and away better then any other stance or position, is to keep your head still, locked in and rock solid. Everytime, and in the same place without fail.

You will also have to get used to calling pitches that you have never been able to see before, either because you are keeping your head still, have set up in an better, more aggressive slot position, or are the proper distance from the catcher.

Bobby Patrino- shouldn't you be in atlanta coaching up michael vick instead of browsing umpire forums haha
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
You gotta do something for coffee money, right??

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 12:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I saw a 12 year old using it last summer. Seemed to work fine for him, give it a try.
Now that's funny!

Move over Rodney D. and Henny Youngman!
Closed Thread