The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

"I have bad knees and worry that they will force me to quit umpiring sooner than I would like."

Most of the guys I played baseball with in the dead ball era turned to SP softball by their mid-20s, but one guy went directly into baseball umpiring, eventually doing mostly ECAC/NCAA games. Last fall, at age 60, he had both knees replaced. He says it was 35 years of up and down behind the plate. I don't know whether he expects to resume umpiring.
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
"I have bad knees and worry that they will force me to quit umpiring sooner than I would like."

Most of the guys I played baseball with in the dead ball era turned to SP softball by their mid-20s, but one guy went directly into baseball umpiring, eventually doing mostly ECAC/NCAA games. Last fall, at age 60, he had both knees replaced. He says it was 35 years of up and down behind the plate. I don't know whether he expects to resume umpiring.
Interesting. My orthopaedic surgeon told me the up and down wasn't an issue, but more of the pounding of starting, stopping and reversing directions.

Actually, from my rehab, I would think the up and down was more theraputic to one's knees than harmful if in a good stance.
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 01:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Interesting. My orthopaedic surgeon told me the up and down wasn't an issue, but more of the pounding of starting, stopping and reversing directions.

Actually, from my rehab, I would think the up and down was more theraputic to one's knees than harmful if in a good stance.
As someone with a bad knee (that includes a dislocated kneecap 2 years ago), I could call balls and strikes all day. It's the coming out quickly from the plate that causes 100% of my lower extremity issues.

I turn my toes slightly out, too. It does cost me a shot or two on the calf every season, but that's OK -- it only really hurts when you take one in the unprotected shin (which happened to me once back when I thought it was cool to work softball with little to know gear -- I was young and stupid).
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

My friend said something like "all that up and down," but he might have used the phrase broadly to refer to all the various movements required of a plate umpire. I agree that just going up and down isn't likely to destroy knees unless you're constantly going way down, as in deep knee bends. It may be that after his knees were damaged by other movements or blows, he noticed pain when moving up and down and attributed the damage to that type of motion.

Most of the athletes I know whose knees are gone either suffered blows to the knee (mostly from football) or constant pounding within the knee (basketball on hard surfaces).

For some reason, my knees have held up well, and I've never had any problems with them. A few years ago, however, after a couple of slow-pitch marathons, it was my feet that were killing me, mainly from the incorrect way I was standing.