View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Why I don't like it:

Tends to lock an umpire into the same position whether the batter is 4'0" or 6'2". The umpire's eyes will always be at the same height, but the strike zone would need to move.

In softball, there seems to be more body movement (as opposed to just the glove) by the catcher than in the little ball game. Because you are set further behind the catcher, the movement shouldn't bother you more, but I would think the outside corner may be harder to see.

Places the hands on the knees/legs. I am not a big fan of broken fingers, hands or, ouch, knuckles. While keeping one's hands loose and hanging does not guarantee complete safety, is does reduce the force of impact and likely reduce the level of severity being hit by the ball may cause.

JMHO
I can respect that. the only real response I have is: I dont work it from way back like the baseball system. I work the slot from no more than a foot away from the catcher. I know that the clinics I have been to taught us to make the chin in line with the bottom of the catchers head thus putting it in the same posistion everytime for each catcher. I also dont miss outside pitches because I work the slot and closer to the catcher like I previously said. So I work a "modified" gerry davis I should more accurately say.

Again I can respect what your saying and I appriciate your input

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA