The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Question

Last nights game, runner on first, batter hits a line drive back to the pitcher. Ball hits the pitchers glove and bounces off the side. Ends up hitting the runner going from first to second in the back of the leg.

Ruling on the field was runner out for interference. Batter gets first base. Umpires reasoning behind this was because the pitcher is still in the circle, she is not considered a fielder. If she had been out of the circle and touched the ball, then play is still live and no interference would have been called.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kped View Post
Last nights game, runner on first, batter hits a line drive back to the pitcher. Ball hits the pitchers glove and bounces off the side. Ends up hitting the runner going from first to second in the back of the leg.

Ruling on the field was runner out for interference. Batter gets first base. Umpires reasoning behind this was because the pitcher is still in the circle, she is not considered a fielder. If she had been out of the circle and touched the ball, then play is still live and no interference would have been called.
I hate to say it, but it sounds to me like the umpire booted the call.

From ASA Rule 8-8-F:
Quote:
The runner is not out: When a runner is hit by a fair batted ball after it touches, or is touched by, any fielder, including the pitcher, and the runner could not avoid contact with the ball.
The only exception would be if the runner had intentionally interfered with a defensive player's ability to field the batted ball (ASA Rule 8-7-J-4).

Just a friendly word of advice: we all make mistakes. If you see this umpire again, continue to treat him with respect, regardless of whether or not he completely booted the call. The rulebook is a complicated document that, as you can see by the numerous debates here, is subject to interpretation and re-interpretation.

If you fail to show an umpire respect, regardless of whatever they do, don't expect to stay in the game.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kped View Post

Think this umpire was overthinking the rule and in doing so missed what the rule actually reads.

Sometimes, things are better off when you just react and not think. I proved that in OKC this past Feb.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Thinking or not, the rules are different for "deflected" by a defender and "passing" a fielder.