The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
unlike 6U.. definately some sport at 23U.
Oh I'm SO not touching that one!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 03:39pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I got my start doing 8U coach pitch at 17, which was also the same summer I got asked to work some adult men's beer league games. The 8U games were harder, because I had to keep track of when a batter had 10 pitches from the coach before we brought out the tee, in addition to calling the plays on the bases. The beer league guys...well, let's just say there was an additional illicit game fee in my truck after the game.

On another note, I've seen 12 year olds work soccer for the kids around the age of 5 and 6, so hearing that there's two 15 year olds doing 6U ball isn't too surprising to me. Although, I'm SHOCKED there were two umpires for 6U. I did basically anything 12U and under in my hometown, baseball and softball, by myself a strong majority of the time.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
I got my start doing 8U coach pitch at 17, which was also the same summer I got asked to work some adult men's beer league games. The 8U games were harder, because I had to keep track of when a batter had 10 pitches from the coach before we brought out the tee, in addition to calling the plays on the bases. The beer league guys...well, let's just say there was an additional illicit game fee in my truck after the game.

On another note, I've seen 12 year olds work soccer for the kids around the age of 5 and 6, so hearing that there's two 15 year olds doing 6U ball isn't too surprising to me. Although, I'm SHOCKED there were two umpires for 6U. I did basically anything 12U and under in my hometown, baseball and softball, by myself a strong majority of the time.
I'm not too terribly shocked that there are two umpires for this league. When I was a kid playing in the local softball league (from 4th grade to 8th grade), we actually had two fields going at the same time. It was about 50/50 as to whether we had one or two umpires on each field, and they were all volunteers.

Granted, these were not the best-trained umpires in the world; no real training was provided, no clinics, no evals, nothing. However, there were people willing to step up and accept the challenge. I was one of them. That's how I got my start.

So when I hear about a 6U league using 2 fresh umpires, I don't really question it so much. After all, we all have to get our start somewhere, and if the expectation is clearly set and maintained in the league that coaches should not treat the games as life or death, I see no harm in it.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 04:09pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
So when I hear about a 6U league using 2 fresh umpires, I don't really question it so much. After all, we all have to get our start somewhere, and if the expectation is clearly set and maintained in the league that coaches should not treat the games as life or death, I see no harm in it.
I agree with you...as long as the coaches AND the parents don't treat it as life and death. You should see some of the helicopter parents out there. My ex-wife is already becoming one...should have seen her with our oldest at his swimming lessons last week. Sheesh.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
I agree with you...as long as the coaches AND the parents don't treat it as life and death. You should see some of the helicopter parents out there. My ex-wife is already becoming one...should have seen her with our oldest at his swimming lessons last week. Sheesh.
Well, parental encouragement is an important part of growing up. Frankly, I have no problems with parents who cheer positively for their child. Unfortunately, we all know that this is all too often not the case, and while the problematic parents are usually in the minority, it's that minority that completely detracts from the program.

Maybe someone ought to videotape the parents and make them watch themselves a third of the way through the season. You'd be surprised how many of them have NO idea how badly they come across.

Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

We have 6U Teams at our local Softball League and we have had more problems with the 6U coaches than any other age group. I was completely amazed by the attitudes of the coaches at this level. I would like to see the girls play ball and have fun, instead of seeing their parents/coaches make themselves look like fools. Some of these coaches were beyond out of control. We had one that cursed and threatened to physically assault a fellow Umpire over a force cal at first. I agree that a new or youth Umpire would be better off learning to Umpire by calling at least 10U games with a Senior Umpire.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
We do the same thing for our 10uRec.. not because of the play, but because we are using youth umpires and the way the coaches at times behave.
It's difficult for the associations in this area to field two umpires for a high school JV game. The assignor's could have a heart attack if they had to put two umpires on a 6U game.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrooper View Post
We have 6U Teams at our local Softball League and we have had more problems with the 6U coaches than any other age group. I was completely amazed by the attitudes of the coaches at this level. I would like to see the girls play ball and have fun, instead of seeing their parents/coaches make themselves look like fools. Some of these coaches were beyond out of control. We had one that cursed and threatened to physically assault a fellow Umpire over a force cal at first. I agree that a new or youth Umpire would be better off learning to Umpire by calling at least 10U games with a Senior Umpire.
Sadly, the only physical confrontation I've ever had to witness was in the first league I ever called - at age 15. I believe I've mentioned this before, but two coaches (yes, the coaches) almost went at it. One of the coaches was my former coach, and the other coach was a real piece of trash that shouldn't ever be placed in charge of children. The players (ages 9 through 13) were the ones to hold them back.

Just sickening to see things degrade to that point.

Old Thu Jun 18, 2009, 11:37pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
6U & 8U should not be competitive ball. Of course, you have places in the softball world where people are still falling for the "scholarship" scam and go looking for a hitting/pitching coach right after their DD gets accepted to the local up-scale day care center.
I'm waiting for the day people start demanding 2U leagues.

But seriously, I agree with you on the instruction nature of U6/U8 ball. My grade school started a 2nd & 3rd grade instructional intramural league and I officiated for 2 seasons (only because my rules knowedge was regarded as better than anyone elses). I was told to pretty much ignore the occasional travel, double dribble, etc, but to make sure nothing major happened. In season two, I was also told that the kids were being taught not to reach in, so I should call any reach-in foul so to reinforce what they were learning.

To expect kids at that level to play as well as higher levels is just not goin to happen.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

I hope you didn't call any reach-in fouls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
I'm waiting for the day people start demanding 2U leagues.

But seriously, I agree with you on the instruction nature of U6/U8 ball. My grade school started a 2nd & 3rd grade instructional intramural league and I officiated for 2 seasons (only because my rules knowedge was regarded as better than anyone elses). I was told to pretty much ignore the occasional travel, double dribble, etc, but to make sure nothing major happened. In season two, I was also told that the kids were being taught not to reach in, so I should call any reach-in foul so to reinforce what they were learning.

To expect kids at that level to play as well as higher levels is just not goin to happen.
This is one of the myths of basketball. There is no such foul in basketball as a reach-in, no matter what you hear from fans or commentators. They can reach in all day long. If they make contact with the ball or the hand on the ball, don't blow your whistle. If they hit the arm from the wrist up or have to push through the player to get to the ball, then we have a foul. But it is not a reach in foul. It is either illegal use of the hands or a push.