The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Now define vulgar or racial. What may be racial in CA may not be in LA. What may be vulgar in OH may not be in NC.
To paraphrase Potter Stewart (Supreme Court justice, not Col. Potter), I don't know how to define vulgar or racial, but I know it when I hear it. What is vulgar or racial to me (a white guy who was raised middle class back when there was a middle class) may not be racial or vulgar to you. When I hear it I will likely take care of it, but my definition and Mike's definition I can assure you are different.

The one thing I do NOT allow, no no no no no, is banging balls, bats, other equipment off metal benches, dugout fences, etc. The cheers I can tolerate. 10 girls banging one or more softball(s) on the bench to make more noise, nope, not today. Do all that "holy cow that was foul, moooooove it over" you want, do "16 to the green" just as the hands seperate, I don't care.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 10:02pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Thank you for making my point. Different cultures, different reaction to the same event.

Part of the problem with this country is the lack of intelligence in understanding we ain't all the same. While some may take tolerance to an extreme absurdity, others believe their way is the only way and everyone should conform to them.

In the infamous words of Frank Burns: Individuality is fine, as long as we all do it together.

Far too many Frank Burns in this world.

Irish:

It is not about different cultures it is about one conduciting herself/himself as a lady/gentleman. Either one act in a sportsmanlike manner during a sporting event or one does not.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Irish:

It is not about different cultures it is about one conduciting herself/himself as a lady/gentleman. Either one act in a sportsmanlike manner during a sporting event or one does not.

MTD, Sr.
Having experienced life in places of different cultures North America and meeting folks from many different places, I can assure you different cultures can create a huge difference in opinions of behavior.

There are many people that consider their actions or language completely within that of a sportsmanship manner that others may consider utterly disgusting.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Well I think the moral of the story is..

If you are going to have little girls cheering racist chants..

know your crowd.

Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

In many parts of the country, younger folks likely refer to elders as "sir" or "ma'am." In some parts of the country, you'd damned well better call them "sir" or "ma'am." Part of the "conducting oneself as a lady/gentleman."

Up here, however, they are often considered to be terms of derision, even though not used with THE teenage sarcastic sneer ("Don't you 'ma'am' me!").

We have many different cultures across this United States. You know what. That's a good thing.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Rule 11 section 9 .. players get ejected (removal from game and grounds) immediately for any "disparaging or insulting remarks to or about opposing players, officials or spectators". Coaches or managers for first offense may be a warning on second offense they go bye-bye.
no reference to anything "racial"..but we all know what we would do for that.

So, i guess i misspoke earlier. (like i've never done that before )

I've warned for a chant once... forgot the exact words but it was for a hit batter and offensive team in their chant called the pitcher a "beaner"... suppose by rule they shoulda took a EJ for it... but i didnt do it.

Last edited by CajunNewBlue; Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 07:32am.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Yeah.... I'm thinkin In CA, having a chant with the word "beaner" in it would not go over well at all. Heck the team might start fighting amongst themselves.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Yeah.... I'm thinkin In CA, having a chant with the word "beaner" in it would not go over well at all. Heck the team might start fighting amongst themselves.
One day, a friend of mine and his wife were walking through Target. The wife was walking a few steps ahead of my friend, and she turned the corner to walk down one of the aisles. As my friend was turning into the aisle, he hears his wife happily exclaim, "look, Matt, they've got beaners here!" My friend looks just beyond his wife to see a bunch of Hispanics looking at bicycles, then looks at his wife with a look of shock and disgust...

... only to see her pointing to a bucket full of carabiners. By the way. They're into hiking and all sorts of outdoorsy stuff.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
One day, a friend of mine and his wife were walking through Target. The wife was walking a few steps ahead of my friend, and she turned the corner to walk down one of the aisles. As my friend was turning into the aisle, he hears his wife happily exclaim, "look, Matt, they've got beaners here!" My friend looks just beyond his wife to see a bunch of Hispanics looking at bicycles, then looks at his wife with a look of shock and disgust...

... only to see her pointing to a bucket full of carabiners. By the way. They're into hiking and all sorts of outdoorsy stuff.
now that's funny!!
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
I've warned for a chant once... forgot the exact words but it was for a hit batter and offensive team in their chant called the pitcher a "beaner"... suppose by rule they shoulda took a EJ for it... but i didnt do it.
Actually, that is a good example of needing to know before acting.

There is a player/umpire in this area who someone call "bean" one night because of his shaved head. Over the years, it has turned into "beaner" to which the individual has been answering to the point some don't know his real name.

A few years ago, there was an individual who took exception to someone calling anyone a beaner. It took more than five minutes to get this guy calmed down and explain that is the name to which this very pale caucasian responded and how he got the nickname. This guy still didn't buy it and insisted everyone should change because that word was offensive.

And here I thought I lived in the Land of the Free
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

iN the Army my First Sergeant had to fight off a racism charges... while taking a picture just goofing around he put up his fingers like rabit ears behind a guy. The guy, a jew, said the 1SG was making devil horns because he was a jew. Such a stupid thing became very very serious to a guy who had a put a lot of time into the service.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Fri Jun 05, 2009 at 03:32pm.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post

Darn. I've got a local college pitcher whose nickname is "Bean" (first name is Jill, and I guess it's from "Jilly Bean"). Guess I'll have to start warning them!
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

speaking of sportsmanship, what do you guys do about the "Bubblegum...POP" or "Hey batter, batter, batter,......SWING!" chants the defense likes to do? I usually just tell the catcher to shut up since she's right next to the batter but I let the rest slide...

Many teams spend way too much time trying to gain a small advantage when they could use that time to develop their skills to kick their opponent's @$$. I say rather than try to distract the batter, just have your pitcher blow some heat right by the batter...
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Either its unsportsmanlike and worthy of ejection .. or its not.

That is not.

So I dont worry about it or "prevent trouble" by worrying about it because I dont intend to start trouble over it.
Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 03:00pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Darn. I've got a local college pitcher whose nickname is "Bean" (first name is Jill, and I guess it's from "Jilly Bean"). Guess I'll have to start warning them!
I don't think you'll have to worry about the opposing team. It might be the men in attendance you'll have a problem with.