View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Cheering during game....

Question about this because this popped up on me last year and again two weeks ago, and there are conflicting opinions on enforcement.

PONY Tournament - National Qualifier. 14U

Head coach of defensive team comes to PU in bottom of first inning and asks if he could tell the other team to not "cheer loudly" when pitcher is in her windup, as it is distracting.

* How do you handle this? The cheering is NOT derogatory, nor is it unsportsmanlike. It is loud, but I'm sure we've all heard it before..."Too high..too to high...to high to make it fly.." "to the green 16 to the green" ... "I see a Gap and _______ is going shopping...." etc.

I don't like to open a can of worms when I don't have to...but I had a situation in which I had the bases for a semifinal game and my partner told both coaches and team captains NOT to cheer loudly .. especially during the pitcher's windup...and when I had the plate for the Finals, one of the coaches wanted the same "rule" enforced by me.

Because the can of worms was opened, the coach even asked me to talk to the other teams' coach about re-stating the count while the pitcher goes into her windup.

This is a game the coaches are playing and I won't let them one up each other on MY time.

Is there a rule in PONY that states no cheering during windup? I know that it's an unsportsmanlike thing to do to scream or distract when the pitcher begins her windup and I will be happy to enforce that, but the back and forth games that the coaches are playing just to get into each other's heads I will NOT tolerate.

I am not a babysitter.

Opinions? Please steer me right on this.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.