View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Now define vulgar or racial. What may be racial in CA may not be in LA. What may be vulgar in OH may not be in NC.

I'm not suggesting what is considered "socially unacceptable" language altogether (though I do not believe in profanity), just make sure you are aware of the context in which a certain word or phrase is being used when working a game between teams from different regions before you start warning and ejecting folks. Even if it is unacceptable where you may be standing, most coaches will understand the problem if explained to them assuming there is some level of intelligence there. Okay, stop laughing, I was trying to be serious.
They do this thread over in basketball a couple times a year.

Everyone has opinions on whats socially unacceptable and so forth.

Here is my jibberish.

I'm reffing a HS basketball Boys Varsity. Both schools are urban schools. Visitor player blocks Home players shot OOB. I'm watching the kids.

kid whose shot was just blocked " he!! ni**er you couldn't do that again if I let you. "

Blocker : Laughs: then they do a handshake thing and play on.

In context there was nothing going on but 2 kids doing their thing. Out of context we got racial slurs, taunting and whatever else you need to grab out of said Sitch.

I let the kids do their thing.

So it may be a had to be there thing.