The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Arizona vs. Stanford swing help

Ok, no runners on, PU needs help from BU as to if batter offered on the pitch. She went to the first base umpire on a left handed batter. The BU said yes, even though the 3BU would of had a better look. BU said she went. Replay showed that she pulled the bat back. Anytime this can be missed but why not go to the correct BU? Dave
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Are you sure no runners on? It's a mechanic I dislike, but the NCAA mechanic requires you to check a swing to an umpire on a line, not anyone in B in 3 man.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
The graphic on the tv screen that shows where the runners are at, showed there was nobody on base. Pretty sure she just went to the wrong BU. Dave
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

There were no runners on. But are we sure that is what she asked for? This is an olympic umpire behind athe plate, she might have been asking for something else. The 1B umpire came down and talked to her, he did not just give a signal for a swing.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P View Post
There were no runners on. But are we sure that is what she asked for? This is an olympic umpire behind athe plate, she might have been asking for something else. The 1B umpire came down and talked to her, he did not just give a signal for a swing.
I posted on this as well, it was plain as day, she went to 1B umpire and said "did she go?"

I'm adding post I made on this to describe 2 different situations:

Had two check swing situations I thought PU didn't handle correctly. What do you think if you saw them? I'll try to describe.

1st one was LH batter, slapper, no runners. Moves through the batter's box and slightly moves bat forward but pulls back. Ball hits batter while she is clearly in the batter's box and ball was about halfway into batter's box when it hit her. PU calls Dead Ball and awards 1B. Candrea comes out asks if she swung at pitch. PU goes to 1B umpire who, for reasons I can't comprehend, says yes she did, call changed to DB strike. Why would PU go to 1B Umpire? If nothing else I figured they should get all umpires together on this one.

2nd one was LH batter again, runner at 1B. Check swing asked for and PU again goes to 1B Umpire. There was no steal on the play. Again why 1B Umpire?

Last edited by Dholloway1962; Fri May 22, 2009 at 09:34pm. Reason: added my post to this and deleted my original post
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
I posted on this as well, it was plain as day, she went to 1B umpire and said "did she go?"

I'm adding post I made on this to describe 2 different situations:

Had two check swing situations I thought PU didn't handle correctly. What do you think if you saw them? I'll try to describe.

1st one was LH batter, slapper, no runners. Moves through the batter's box and slightly moves bat forward but pulls back. Ball hits batter while she is clearly in the batter's box and ball was about halfway into batter's box when it hit her. PU calls Dead Ball and awards 1B. Candrea comes out asks if she swung at pitch. PU goes to 1B umpire who, for reasons I can't comprehend, says yes she did, call changed to DB strike. Why would PU go to 1B Umpire? If nothing else I figured they should get all umpires together on this one.

2nd one was LH batter again, runner at 1B. Check swing asked for and PU again goes to 1B Umpire. There was no steal on the play. Again why 1B Umpire?
On your 1st one, I would assume that once the batter/runner went to first the 3rd base umpire went to the position by second base and was no longer on the line. Following the NCAA mechanic then she went to the umpire on the line.

2nd one follows the new NCAA mechanic of going to the umpire on the line for all check swings.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT View Post
On your 1st one, I would assume that once the batter/runner went to first the 3rd base umpire went to the position by second base and was no longer on the line. Following the NCAA mechanic then she went to the umpire on the line.

2nd one follows the new NCAA mechanic of going to the umpire on the line for all check swings.
You are correct on the 2nd situation about going to the umpire on the line. On the first situation, NCAA mechanic with no one on base is to go to the open umpire on the line. While the batter originally went to 1B, there was no one on base when the call had to be made, so if it was a check swing, the correct mechanic would have been to go to the 3B umpire. We still do not know for sure this is what was asked, it might have been, but don't assume this is what was asked, it could have been something else
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Exactly what I surmised as well on the first. On the second, that's what she's supposed to do.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 03:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... We still do not know for sure this is what was asked, it might have been, but don't assume this is what was asked, it could have been something else...
Larry,

I know that you know a lot of people. Why don't you ask her what she asked the BU1? I'm pretty sure She it wasn't asking whether the sun was shinning in his eyes...

(off topic)
Give my regards to mrs DNTXUM P! Miss the 2 of you

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
Larry,

I know that you know a lot of people. Why don't you ask her what she asked the BU1? I'm pretty sure She it wasn't asking whether the sun was shinning in his eyes...

(off topic)
Give my regards to mrs DNTXUM P! Miss the 2 of you
Thanks, Sander. I miss you guys as well. I am trying to find a way to get back. Way too much fun over there.

I will ask Kevin when he gets back. If I get the chance to ask Traci before that, I will.

Our best to your family. How is your umpiring career going. Any world championships yet?
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
On the first situation, NCAA mechanic with no one on base is to go to the open umpire on the line. While the batter originally went to 1B, there was no one on base when the call had to be made, so if it was a check swing, the correct mechanic would have been to go to the 3B umpire. We still do not know for sure this is what was asked, it might have been, but don't assume this is what was asked, it could have been something else
I think she just messed up. After Candrea came out to question the call, she looked up and didn't see U3 on the line (he had moved to B when the runner trotted to first). So she went to U1 on the line and clearly called out, "Did she go?"