The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
I think it is an everybody rule!
Not that it matters on this board, but I think it's an everybody SB rule, however, I seem to remember it is not the same in BB.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
So how many of us have ever called this rule? I've yet to do so.
Yes, in an ASA 16U qualifier. And I let R1 from 2B stay on 3rd, as she reached it before the step back. I sent R2 back to 1st (she was slow). OC questioned, but was fairly easily convinced.

BTW, the rule IS different in NCAA. College runners return to the bases occupied at TOP.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Yes, in an ASA 16U qualifier. And I let R1 from 2B stay on 3rd, as she reached it before the step back. I sent R2 back to 1st (she was slow). OC questioned, but was fairly easily convinced.

BTW, the rule IS different in NCAA. College runners return to the bases occupied at TOP.
ASA needs to change it to TOP, by allowing base at time she stepped back they still allow a benefit to it. Personally, I will always send them back to TOP. Yes a rule I will not enforce properly in ASA, shame on me.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
ASA needs to change it to TOP, by allowing base at time she stepped back they still allow a benefit to it. Personally, I will always send them back to TOP. Yes a rule I will not enforce properly in ASA, shame on me.
Why should ASA change it, because you disagree?

How about the NCAA changing it to where it has been for at least the past 73 years when the ball is put into play, at the time of the INT.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
Not that it matters on this board, but I think it's an everybody SB rule, however, I seem to remember it is not the same in BB.
And on a softball board I have absolutely no concern about a game that isn't being discussed.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Why should ASA change it
Because I disagree is the best reason I can think of But another reason is that if you don't send them back to TOP there is really no realpenalty attached to it (other than BR being out, which she will be anyway).

Didn't mean to get you all riled up Irish!
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
Because I disagree is the best reason I can think of But another reason is that if you don't send them back to TOP there is really no realpenalty attached to it (other than BR being out, which she will be anyway).

Didn't mean to get you all riled up Irish!
The penalty is an automatic out attained by the defense without actually executing a tag.

Just because the defense fields the batted ball doesn't mean the BR is automatically out. Why should the runners NOT be allowed to advance while the defense is attempting to execute the play?

This is a rule which exists merely for the purpose of protecting defense players from their own stupidity. The delay is a voluntary action by the defense just like a 2B chasing a runner forced to 2B back to 1B instead of just flipping the ball to F6. The only reason the BR is out and the runner isn't for this action is because s/he has no base to achieve safely at home plate.

So, why should the team not making the stupid moves be overly penalized for the opponent's ineptness?