The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Now that my first high school softball umpire meeting/class is behind me I find myself learning new things like: Which bats don't meet the 2004 ASA Bat Performance Standard; Chopped Hit; Crow Hop; Pitcher's Circle; Slap Hit; DP/FLEX; Intentionally removing lines; New Pitching Regulations; Look Back; No lead offs and I'm sure that there will be more.

I have a couple of questions for you guys. I apologize in advance if my questions seem 'stupid' but I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks.. some of you might know how difficult that can be. Let me thank you guys in advance for your patience.

My first question concerns the softball strike zone that was defined in my meeting last night. I know what the book says but our instructor said that the zone should be 27" wide. He explained it as the plate is 17" + the black edge of our plates are 1" on each side (= 19" so far) + the width of a ball, 4" on each side. That equals 27". Is this the 'standard' (for lack of a better word) HS strike zone? I'm accustomed to calling a much tighter baseball strike zone but I will call the zone my assignor is looking for.

Second question concerns working the 3-man system on a 60' field. I have years of experience working 3-man in baseball (90' field) but I have never seen it on a small field. I know the basic A, B & C positions for a 60' field. My question is what are the umpire positions in the various scenarios? They'll teach me this but I'd like to have a little advanced knowledge if possible. In baseball it's:

POS 1B 3B
Empty --- A A
1b --- A B
2b --- B A
1b & 2b --- A B
2b & 3b --- B A
1b & 3b --- A B
Loaded --- A B
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Justme
Now that my first high school softball umpire meeting/class is behind me I find myself learning new things like: Which bats don't meet the 2004 ASA Bat Performance Standard; Chopped Hit; Crow Hop; Pitcher's Circle; Slap Hit; DP/FLEX; Intentionally removing lines; New Pitching Regulations; Look Back; No lead offs and I'm sure that there will be more.

I have a couple of questions for you guys. I apologize in advance if my questions seem 'stupid' but I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks.. some of you might know how difficult that can be. Let me thank you guys in advance for your patience.

My first question concerns the softball strike zone that was defined in my meeting last night. I know what the book says but our instructor said that the zone should be 27" wide. He explained it as the plate is 17" + the black edge of our plates are 1" on each side (= 19" so far) + the width of a ball, 4" on each side. That equals 27". Is this the 'standard' (for lack of a better word) HS strike zone? I'm accustomed to calling a much tighter baseball strike zone but I will call the zone my assignor is looking for.

Second question concerns working the 3-man system on a 60' field. I have years of experience working 3-man in baseball (90' field) but I have never seen it on a small field. I know the basic A, B & C positions for a 60' field. My question is what are the umpire positions in the various scenarios? They'll teach me this but I'd like to have a little advanced knowledge if possible. In baseball it's:

POS 1B 3B
Empty --- A A
1b --- A B
2b --- B A
1b & 2b --- A B
2b & 3b --- B A
1b & 3b --- A B
Loaded --- A B
I'll tackle the first part, largely because I haven't been berated for, oh, about 10 minutes.

The zone is indeed 27 inches wide, and is that wide for HS, ASA, whatever - just as your instructor described it.

The ENTIRE ball doesn't have to be over the plate...it's nice if it "nicks" the corner or whatever. And yes, it is bigger than the baseball zone.

In your high school books (taking for granted you are doing NFHS) there are diagrams for two-man and three-man mechanics. Study up on those. Among other things, in three-man with a runner only on first, no one is in the usual "B" position. The 3B umpire would be in a position determined by a straight line running from third through second and extending about 10 feet or so (depending on where your UIC wants you to be along that line - I know what the book says, but also know that different UICs want you in different places along that line).

And, in 3-man, no one is ever in "C." Well, I take that back, I have seen someone screw it up and be there, but that's not the prescribed position.

Study the diagrams...and then study them some more.

Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Remember also that a softball is bigger than a baseball. This may be another reason that you are perceiving the the softball strike zone is so much bigger.

As far as three-umpire mechanics, the NFHS books are a good source. Here is another, online, source that you can look at as well:

http://www.cactusumpires.com/pages/sub/3ump.html

Good luck with your softball umpiring and stop by here often!
Old Fri Jan 27, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If that's the zone you call, you will find there are times you want and need even bigger. In most cases, you might even get 4" bigger, to 31", meaning you call consistently anything up to the batters box line (which is 6" from the plate). I can practically guarantee that if you call that "corner" consistently, that your strike zone will be considered a good strike zone, by players, coaches, and evaluators, at every level up to Div I NCAA. Not until Div I will anyone think your zone is too wide; everyone else will be happy and appreciative, and your games will be played with a measure of pace, rather than players waiting for walks.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
Welcome to softball umpiring! Hope you have a blast with it!
As for the strike zone, I'm assuming you are referencing fastpitch softball. My clinicians have generally said "bring it up, bring it down, and widen it out". In explanation, generally nothing above the letters, nothing below the knees, and full width of plate. If you can access this site - http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf
there is an excellent diagram of the ideal strike zone within this rulebook.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pollywolly60
generally nothing above the letters,
I hate this descriptive term, basically because it is an inaccurate measure and too many take the term literally.

What if a team has no letters on the front of their jersey?

What if the name on the front of a jersey is angled? Are we talking the first letter or the last? The highest or lowest?

As a boxer wears his/her trunks high, what if a team wears their name low across their stomach?

Am I starting to get absurd? Yep, just about there. Unfortunately, you still have people citing "the letters" as a strike zone boundary and it just isn't so.

Sorry, one of my pet peeves
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by pollywolly60
generally nothing above the letters,
I hate this descriptive term, basically because it is an inaccurate measure and too many take the term literally.

What if a team has no letters on the front of their jersey?

What if the name on the front of a jersey is angled? Are we talking the first letter or the last? The highest or lowest?

As a boxer wears his/her trunks high, what if a team wears their name low across their stomach?

Am I starting to get absurd? Yep, just about there. Unfortunately, you still have people citing "the letters" as a strike zone boundary and it just isn't so.

Sorry, one of my pet peeves
OK, "top of the letters when the letters are applied in a manner and in a place where they are traditionally applied on diamond sports jerseys..."

Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Why can't we just say armpits, like the rules?

Evenif I could tyope,m armpits is easeier tham top of the leeters.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Black Edge of Home Plate

Since when is the black edge of Home Plate considered part of the Plate. The rule defines the Plate as 17" wide. The black edge is not included.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 04:23pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
OK, "top of the letters when the letters are applied in a manner and in a place where they are traditionally applied on diamond sports jerseys..."

Would it be easier to say...oh damn...don't want to sound perverted, but...at the breasts?
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
Since when is the black edge of Home Plate considered part of the Plate. The rule defines the Plate as 17" wide. The black edge is not included.
Believe that if you please, but every softball organization with which I am involved says that it is.

And before you start arguing, this is from the 2009 ASA UIC Clinic guide:

Home Plate:
a) If a pitch crosses over the black portion of the plate, it is assumed the pitch crossed over the white portion.
b) If the catcher is touching the black portion of the plate on a force out, it is considered to be also touching the
white portion.
c) If a runner touches the black portion of the plate, it is considered they also touched the white portion.
d) (Slow Pitch) If the ball touches the black portion of the plate, it is considered to have also touched the white
portion.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Sat May 16, 2009 at 05:16pm.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Would it be easier to say...oh damn...don't want to sound perverted, but...at the breasts?
And for men or 10 yo?
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 05:11pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Believe that if you please, but every softball organization with which I am involved says that it is.

And before you start arguing, this is from the 2009 ASA UIC Clinic guide:

Home Plate:
a) If a pitch crosses over the black portion of the plate, it is assumed the pitch crossed over the white portion.
b) If the catcher is touching the black portion of the plate on a force out, it is considered to be also touching the
white portion.
c) If a runner touches the black portion of the plate, it is considered they also touched the white portion.
d) (Slow Pitch) If the ball touches the black portion of the plate, it is considered
It is considered what??? Don't leave this slow-pitch foggie hanging!
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 05:11pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
And for men or 10 yo?
Well, I have no problems saying it at the nipples for the men...but when it comes to the ladies, ehhhh...my students are predominately female, so I need to find the PC term.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
... the PC term.
"sternum"