The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Those who have answered to this point have conveniently ignored the other aspects that could arise from this play.

Can a runner who leaves third early on a caught fly ball return to third after touching home? What would that runner need to do in order to return to third legally? When does the right to return to third end?

Would a runner who thought she left second base early (but did not), rounded third and then returned to second (legally retouching third on the way back) be put back at third by the umpire?

What about the possible interference scenario if there is another runner on base? The runner who reached home is returning to third because she thinks she is in jeopardy of being put out if she does not, but according to the positions taken here she is a runner who has scored and could therefore be guilty of interference if she draws a throw.

I can not find a rule that addresses these possibilities and would like to know what rule or rules support your conclusion that the runner can not return to third. Until there is an appeal by the defense the only information that the runner has to base their actions on is from them selves and their coaches.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
Those who have answered to this point have conveniently ignored the other aspects that could arise from this play.

Can a runner who leaves third early on a caught fly ball return to third after touching home? What would that runner need to do in order to return to third legally? When does the right to return to third end?

Would a runner who thought she left second base early (but did not), rounded third and then returned to second (legally retouching third on the way back) be put back at third by the umpire?
Without digging out the book - a runner who has scored who hasnt entered db terriroty must be given the opportinity to complete their running responsibilities - so they could return to 3rd. ASA 5-5 advises when there is a score.

The two rules are not mutually exclusive, they may stand alone.

Errantly returning to 2nd base from 3rd base does not include the "score" factor, so that would be a nonissue.

The only question really is the one you you need to answer: by what rule could you remove a score? She scored, its in the books. How can you justify removing it by rule?
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

We have had this discussion before.

It all comes down to whether the player left the base early in the umpire's judgment.

If the runner left early, sure she can return as long as a trailing runner has not scored.

If the runner did not leave early, then she scores. HOWEVER, if she scores and then decides to return to 3B with other runners on, you MUST be willing to call the INT if the defense makes any play on that player. There are no two ways about it.

Quote:
This must be the only play in all of softball where the opinion of the coach and the players is more important than what the umpire actually saw.
But how many times have you made a decision on a player's reaction? How many umpires have told a coach about a catcher attempting to pull a pitch into the zone that "if she didn't think it was a strike, than why would I?" And I cannot count the number of times I've heard the old "there is no way I'm calling a pitch a strike when the catcher turns her glove over to catch the pitch!"

Not saying we should allow coach/player comments/actions dictate rulings, but in real life it is, at times, taken into consideration.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Plus.. youre gonna get yelled at and be the only person within 150 square miles (including likely your partner) who thinks the run scores..
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
...But how many times have you made a decision on a player's reaction? How many umpires have told a coach about a catcher attempting to pull a pitch into the zone that "if she didn't think it was a strike, than why would I?" And I cannot count the number of times I've heard the old "there is no way I'm calling a pitch a strike when the catcher turns her glove over to catch the pitch!"

Not saying we should allow coach/player comments/actions dictate rulings, but in real life it is, at times, taken into consideration.
Ah, but those are things the umpire did NOT see, and is using the players for supplemental information (exception: using it as a teaching moment for the catcher). If the runner tagged up, she cannot "untag" just because either the runner or the coach (or both) is unsure.

I agree on the interference call. I think there is a rule about that.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
Those who have answered to this point have conveniently ignored the other aspects that could arise from this play....
They weren't in the OP...
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Dakota.. the only time we call by reaction is when we didnt see it.
If we saw it, we gotta call by what we see.

Most of the time anyway.

Old Fri May 22, 2009, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
I agree with Dakota.. the only time we call by reaction is when we didnt see it.
If we saw it, we gotta call by what we see.

Most of the time anyway.

I gotta call as a reaction to what I see!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
They weren't in the OP...
Actually, nothing was really in the OP that decides this issue without clarification. For as much as we know, the runner did leave early which is why I qualified my response with that possibility.

Just because Andy typed tag up after catch doesn't mean crap as he cannot type both simultaneously. If one wants to pick nits for the purpose of advancing their opinion, the OP stated the ball was caught and the runner tagged up. It didn't say the ball was caught then the runner tagged up.

In the first instant, the actions could have been relatively simultaneous subject to an umpire's judgment. The latter specifically notes the order of events and places the scenario beyond that of supposition.

So there!
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Actually, nothing was really in the OP that decides this issue without clarification....

So there!
Well, I agree with that, as my first post in this thread says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Are you saying the runner scored, and then went back to retouch 3B, and that in your judgment she DID properly tag up?

If so, she scored, and the re-touch is a nothing.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Coach Lia
If she tagged up and reached home plate, a run will be given to her regardless of her going back to 3rd base
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyump View Post
This played happened to me in a varsity game last night
Runner on 3rd base fly ball to left field, fielder catches ball and runner from third tags up as she is halfway to plate opposing coach yell she left early blue,as the runner slides into plate(touches home and retouches) offensive coach yells come back to 3rd, my question is does the run count or she stays at 3rd(I left her at 3rd base)Thx
Im no expert but I think that if the runner didnt tag early, that the run would score (I dont know of what rule pertains to this part) but i think that if the runner then proceeded to go back to 3rd and draws a throw, then she violated ASA rule 8-7-P.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post
Im no expert but I think that if the runner didnt tag early, that the run would score (I dont know of what rule pertains to this part) but i think that if the runner then proceeded to go back to 3rd and draws a throw, then she violated ASA rule 8-7-P.
How?
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post
She did not. She was fulfilling her baserunning obligations.

8-7-P refers to a runner who has either been put out or has scored and no longer has any baserunning obligations. Be careful with that one.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
She did not. She was fulfilling her baserunning obligations.

8-7-P refers to a runner who has either been put out or has scored and no longer has any baserunning obligations. Be careful with that one.
NCASAUmp,

obviously you know a lot more than Ill ever know, but if the runner legally tagged and scored, how would they have further baserunning obligations? Whats the difference between legally tagging, scoring, running back to 3rd, and scoring on a single, running back to 3rd?