The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

The OP states, "After my partner called time and the ball is dead, D3 says to me, Blue did he leave early? I banged R1 for 3rd out, as he did leave early." D3 implies the first baseman made appeal. For which runner? There is no mention that the defense touched the bag or the runner. Did D3 touch 1st, 2nd or any bag? Did D3 have the ball?
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
As the new guy, he should probably go with the local mechanic (at least for now).
I agree, but since it's a deviation, I'd pregame it. I wouldn't say, "well, lookie here, Mr. Veteran Ump, ASA says we should..." However, I would simply ask, "so, how do you want to do tag-ups?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
ASA is excessively wordy:
Plate Umpire has tag up responsibility for
1) Runner at 3B
2) Lead runner with multiple runners on

Base Umpire has tag up responsibility for
1) All others
What's so hard about that? That was even shorter than my explanation!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk65 View Post
The OP states, "After my partner called time and the ball is dead, D3 says to me, Blue did he leave early? I banged R1 for 3rd out, as he did leave early." D3 implies the first baseman made appeal. For which runner? There is no mention that the defense touched the bag or the runner. Did D3 touch 1st, 2nd or any bag? Did D3 have the ball?
New to softball?

As noted, this was a dead ball situation, so there is no need to have the ball or to touch a base or tag the player, just ask for the appeal.

And as subsequently posted, the infielder did indicate which runner was being appealed.

Of course, I'm still trying to figure out what a D3 is
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is no mention that the defense touched the bag or the runner. Did D3 touch 1st, 2nd or any bag? Did D3 have the ball?
None of that is required in ASA or NFHS. The appropriate rule was quoted in a post above. In LL SB and BB, the live-ball appeal is the only option. That's what you get for copying OBR (but that's getting off topic ).

As for the OP, you did fine. Welcome to the site.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Of course, I'm still trying to figure out what a D3 is
Well, I was either referring to the defensive player in position 3 (aka 1st Baseman), or I typo'd (D is next to F). You make the call!

Yeah, it should have been F3 (but like my OP stated, I'm a rookie!)
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

My bad... I didn't realize this difference in a live-ball or dead-ball appeal. Better to learn now by this mistake than look foolish on a field.....
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Better to learn now by this mistake than look foolish on a field.....
So true... So true...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My bad... I didn't realize this difference in a live-ball or dead-ball appeal. Better to learn now by this mistake than look foolish on a field.....
Nah.. the best learning comes with screwing up on the field....

Old Thu May 21, 2009, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Nah.. the best learning comes with screwing up on the field....
I have to agree. I'm glad it's only wreck league, but I try to approach each and every game as if it mattered a whole lot more. After all, it's my integrity on the line.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpteenth View Post
I have to agree. I'm glad it's only wreck league, but I try to approach each and every game as if it mattered a whole lot more. After all, it's my integrity on the line.
Forget the level of ball - work on your game. They just happen to be there. I do some of my best fine tuning/tweeking of aspects of my game on lower level ball.

Every single game you work someone should be able to ask you "What are you working on?"

And you should have an immediate answer as to some aspect of your game you are consciously working on improving.

Thats my opinion anyway - I am ALWAYS working on improving something.

In fact, it is smoothness. Sometimes I over hustle and look a little less fine tuned. I was evaluated in JO ball last week by a NCAA evaluator, the same one who will be evaluating me in college ball next year, and that was my "ding".

Gotta figure out how to be coolbreeze like yall.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Thu May 21, 2009 at 10:45am.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Forget the level of ball - work on your game. They just happen to be there. I do some of my best fine tuning/tweeking of aspects of my game on lower level ball.

Every single game you work someone should be able to ask you "What are you working on?"

And you should have an immediate answer as to some aspect of your game you are consciously working on improving.

Thats my opinion anyway - I am ALWAYS working on improving something.

In fact, it is smoothness. Sometimes I over hustle and look a little less fine tuned. I was evaluated in JO ball last week by a NCAA evaluator, the same one who will be evaluating me in college ball next year, and that was my "ding".

Gotta figure out how to be coolbreeze like yall.
That is pretty much how I approach my games.

I also got dinged at my National for overhustle...
So I've been working on my inner Cool Hand Luke.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's the only level I'm working right now, but that reminded me of a sitch last week. We were working a Co-Ed SP game, I was PU. I made 2 calls that my partner later said he would not have made, because this was like "4th of July Family Reunion" games. I disagreed, because if I'm being paid to call by a set of rules (in this case ASA), then I will call by that set of rules. Again, it's my integrity at stake, and I won't sell that out to anyone.

Quote:
Every single game you work someone should be able to ask you "What are you working on?" And you should have an immediate answer as to some aspect of your game you are consciously working on improving.
Thanks. This is probably the best bit of advice I've seen/heard so far. It's more for me to think about in preparation for a game, but will pay dividends throughout my career.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
That is pretty much how I approach my games.

I also got dinged at my National for overhustle...
So I've been working on my inner Cool Hand Luke.
Yes - we must find out inner cool Hand Luke

My bads:

On bases on a dead ball - batted ball off the foot - too quick making the DB call - wait and see if partner makes it. My parnter was reacting to the play so I knew wouldnt call it.. still... wait. I concede I'm to quick to make the DB call on that.

On a shallow bunt I move too much following the play too close.. instead of just essentially standing on the appropriate line extended and watching it. I think thats the old catcher in me...

I was good on my timing for pitches and calls, stances, slot, game managment, etc etc though and got an overall "excellent" - I'll take that anyday!

Hey I'd like to see if I can find a way to put a word for you to come work the 18G NQ 6-26-28 if you are interested. A few of them you guys sent last year..... I can definately put your name in to our assigner. Not sure how all that works though- Send me a pm... maybe we'll working on our inner cool hand luke getting ready for that!
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpteenth View Post

Thanks. This is probably the best bit of advice I've seen/heard so far. It's more for me to think about in preparation for a game, but will pay dividends throughout my career.
Part of your mental pregame preparations should be deciding something to be working on.. stance, timing, Trailing, or anything. There is ALWAYS something to work on and improve. Good luck!
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

ChessRef and Wadeintothem or anyone else,

Would you guys mind sharing what the evaluators mean by overhustle? How did they explain this concept?

Thanks, Ron