The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Rookie question

So first year question.......

I have had this happen twice now but I can't seem to find the answer in the rule book...Please help with the answer and the rule/section. (2 questions kind of)

1) A1 is inbounding the ball on the side line to start the quarter...(A) leans way over the line with ball and then throws it in...(b) starts to throw the ball but stops him/herself from making the throw but in doing so loses balance and steps over the line with ball in hand. Quickly steps back and throws the ball into the back court to A2.

2. Same as above but this time it is after a basket has been made under the basket.

I appreciate your help here and on other posts I have learned from on here....
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

1. a. legal action, in this case it is also legal for a defender to grab the ball and try to pull it away.
1. b. illegal. The thrower has violated. Team B's ball at that spot.

2. same as 1.

Rule citations:
9-2-10 NOTE: The thrower may penetrate the plane provided he/she does not touch the inbounds area before the ball is released on the throw-in pass. The opponent in this situation may legally touch or grasp the ball.

9.2.5 SITUATION: Thrower A1 inadvertently steps through the plane of the boundary line and touches the court inbounds. A1 immediately steps back into normal out-of-bounds throw-in position. The contact with the court was during a situation: (a) with; or (b) without defensive pressure on the throw-in team. RULING: A violation in both (a) and (b). COMMENT: Whether or not there was defensive pressure or whether or not stepping on the court was inadvertent, it is a violation and no judgment is required in making the call.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

In the situation where the inbounder A1 holds ball over throw in boundary and B1 grabs the ball, what is the proper call: (a) out of bounds on A1; (b) jump ball; (c) something else?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

I have the same question as Toxic...

Also, what if B1 grabs the ball with enough force that A1 is pulled in-bounds as a result? I'm thinking a jump-ball situation.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:40am
PYRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Czar
In the situation where the inbounder A1 holds ball over throw in boundary and B1 grabs the ball, what is the proper call: (a) out of bounds on A1; (b) jump ball; (c) something else?
This is a held ball situation and you go to the AP arrow for possession.
I'd also go to the arrow if they were pulled into the court.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Czar
HELD BALL ON THROW-IN – NO ARROW CHANGE
6.4.5 SITUATION B: During an alternating-possession throw-in, thrower A1 holds the ball through the end-line plane and B1 grabs it, resulting in a held ball. RULING: Since the throw-in had not ended and no violation occurred, it is still A's ball for an alternating-possession throw-in. (4-42-5)
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

thanks

thanks for the help guys