The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Rookie Official Question

First year official.

Manual says that in a 2-man crew on the opening tip that the official goes with the ball. The official is table side.

Does that tell me that I have the table side sideline and the referee goes opposite?

Is there any guideline as to what sideline the lead has vs the trail on a non throw-in situation?
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 11:28am
Ch1town

Not sure if I'm understanding your question...
but the tableside official who chops the clock (U) will become L & is responsible for the sideline closest to him/her.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Not sure if I'm understanding your question...
but the tableside official who chops the clock (U) will become L & is responsible for the sideline closest to him/her.
Let me say that I'm not trying to argue but being a rookie and using my trusty dusty manual it says that the tableside official goes with the ball - not necessarily becomes the lead. Is that not what most do?

I guess my overall question is this: what determines what side of the court the lead is on vs the trail in any situation other than a spot throw-in?
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Let me say that I'm not trying to argue but being a rookie and using my trusty dusty manual it says that the tableside official goes with the ball - not necessarily becomes the lead. Is that not what most do?

I guess my overall question is this: what determines what side of the court the lead is on vs the trail in any situation other than a spot throw-in?

99% of the time, the U becomes the lead. Only if there's a tip to the "backcourt" AND there's pressure will the U become the T.

The U is always table side on (and during the initial play after) a jump ball. The R is opposite table.

During a FT, the administering offical is table side, the non-administering official is opposite (that's the standard; some organizations have the calling official stay table side and have the other official administer and stay opposite).
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 03:26pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
99% of the time, the U becomes the lead. Only if there's a tip to the "backcourt" AND there's pressure will the U become the T.

The U is always table side on (and during the initial play after) a jump ball. The R is opposite table.

During a FT, the administering offical is table side, the non-administering official is opposite (that's the standard; some organizations have the calling official stay table side and have the other official administer and stay opposite).
Spence, I agree with you that it is as written (and easier) for the Umpire to go with the ball.
I also agree with Bob that the Umpire (usually) becomes Lead.

I suggest you pre-game the jump ball so the front court gets covered.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 07:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tails I Win, Heads You Lose ...

Quote:
First year official. Manual says that in a 2-man crew on the opening tip that the official goes with the ball. The official is table side. Does that tell me that I have the table side sideline and the referee goes opposite? Is there any guideline as to what sideline the lead has vs the trail on a non throw-in situation?
This is worth repeating: I'd prefer to keep the rules, and mechanics, regarding jump balls just the way they are, with just two minor changes. I would eliminate the jump that starts the game, and I would eliminate the jump ball that starts each overtime period. Let's flip a coin like they do in football, and soccer. I'll bring the coin, and whoever loses the coin toss can keep the coin. That way everybody's happy.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Spence, as I read your question, it seems more about how to determine which official covers which lines than necessarily about the jump. So I'll tackle that one.
  • L and T should be on opposite sides of the floor (other than when the L comes ball side).
  • Each official is responsible for the sideline on his side of the floor. Even when he comes ball side, the L is still responsible for the sideline on his "proper" side of the floor. (Note that there are some common variations on this theme, but I'm talking about the basic principle.)
  • However you got to the side of the floor you're on, you will be responsible for that sideline until you change sides.
  • There are three situations that can force officials to change sides: 1) Jump ball, 2) Free throw, 3) Throw-in.
  • The jump ball is as you describe. The non-tossing official (no longer has to be the U) will be responsible for the sideline on the table side.
  • Free throw administration may require the officials to change sides from where they were.
  • A throw-in may require a change of sides as the administering official goes to the spot (or near the spot if bouncing the ball) and his partner goes opposite.
  • Other than that, you do not normally change sides. But never say never.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Spence, as I read your question, it seems more about how to determine which official covers which lines than necessarily about the jump. So I'll tackle that one.
  • L and T should be on opposite sides of the floor (other than when the L comes ball side).
  • Each official is responsible for the sideline on his side of the floor. Even when he comes ball side, the L is still responsible for the sideline on his "proper" side of the floor. (Note that there are some common variations on this theme, but I'm talking about the basic principle.)
  • However you got to the side of the floor you're on, you will be responsible for that sideline until you change sides.
  • There are three situations that can force officials to change sides: 1) Jump ball, 2) Free throw, 3) Throw-in.
  • The jump ball is as you describe. The non-tossing official (no longer has to be the U) will be responsible for the sideline on the table side.
  • Free throw administration may require the officials to change sides from where they were.
  • A throw-in may require a change of sides as the administering official goes to the spot (or near the spot if bouncing the ball) and his partner goes opposite.
  • Other than that, you do not normally change sides. But never say never.
You are correct in my reason for questioning being both jump ball and afterwards.

FT: 2-man - what determines the positioning of the lead and trail in regards to sideline? Trail always opposite table? Give me some examples of when a FT may require switching sides.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Let me ask one more positioning type question.

The manual says that officials always switch positions after a foul. Is that 100% or , like the thinking on the jump ball, a "usually?"

For example, I'm trail and call a foul. I report it to the table. Do I then become the lead and administer the FT? Or , in that situation, do we not switch in order to keep the game moving?
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let me ask one more positioning type question.

The manual says that officials always switch positions after a foul. Is that 100% or , like the thinking on the jump ball, a "usually?"

For example, I'm trail and call a foul. I report it to the table. Do I then become the lead and administer the FT? Or , in that situation, do we not switch in order to keep the game moving?

The "by the book" two man switch refers to "ends of the court" not to T or L.

IOW, if you're closer to the "north" end line, then after either of you calls a foul, you'll be closer to the "south" end line. Whether you become L or T depends on the type of foul and how it's inbounded, etc.

Some organizations have "no long switch". So, if there is a foul called against the offensive team, and no FTs to be shot, don't switch. Just stay where you are, just as if the offensive team commited a violation.

Beyond that, it's difficult to describe (and understand) in words. You need to get to a clinic and / or watch a powerpoint presentation.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The "by the book" two man switch refers to "ends of the court" not to T or L.

IOW, if you're closer to the "north" end line, then after either of you calls a foul, you'll be closer to the "south" end line. Whether you become L or T depends on the type of foul and how it's inbounded, etc.

Some organizations have "no long switch". So, if there is a foul called against the offensive team, and no FTs to be shot, don't switch. Just stay where you are, just as if the offensive team commited a violation.

Beyond that, it's difficult to describe (and understand) in words. You need to get to a clinic and / or watch a powerpoint presentation.
Thanks, Bob. Let me make sure I'm following:

1. I'm the lead , call a foul underneath the basket in the FC. Since I have to go the reporting area to report it, we switch.

2. I'm trail. Call a foul near the division line on the defense. I'm in the reporting area so I stay there.

Last edited by Spence; Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 11:44am.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

In my association we switch on every foul.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks, Bob. Let me make sure I'm following:

1. I'm the lead , call a foul underneath the basket in the FC. Since I have to go the reporting area to report it, we switch.

2. I'm trail. Call a foul near the division line on the defense. I'm in the reporting area so I stay there.

#1: correct.

#2: not correct. You would be come the lead.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post

#2: not correct. You would be come the lead.
Do you say switch because you subscribe to the "always switch - no exceptions" theory ?
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you say switch because you subscribe to the "always switch - no exceptions" theory ?
Regardless of the "no long switch" option, the situation you mentioned doesn't fall under what would be a long switch. A foul on the defense would always require a switch.