The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post

(Smart question being, "Can I list a DP and a Flex on my original lineup card and then drop the Flex right after I give you my lineup card?" I wanted to hug her! She got it!)
I don't get it? why?... I mean I know they can do that. but i don't see the strategy in it. (maybe that's why I umpire instead of coach)
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
I don't get it? why?... I mean I know they can do that. but i don't see the strategy in it. (maybe that's why I umpire instead of coach)
It is not a matter of whether there is an advantage, they think there is an advantage and as we all know, you cannot change that mentality.

AFAIC, all the coach has done is lose one entry into the game and restricted the player to where in the line-up she can emerge.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
It is not a matter of whether there is an advantage, they think there is an advantage and as we all know, you cannot change that mentality.

AFAIC, all the coach has done is lose one entry into the game and restricted the player to where in the line-up she can emerge.
AFAIC... lol, i had to google that one.

yeah, I asked the coach at home and she said that they had never done it as it seemed trivial and didn't give them anything they didn't already have (she dumbs it down for her poor umpire )

But thanks for the info.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh there are pages of why this is a good stategy and stuff. It just seems that it would be a little easier to teach 'em to both hit and catch....Its not often we run into aging rightfielders in JO ball who can't cover the outfield pastures like they use to. So we need to only let them hit.

It seems to me the VAST majority of coaches use the Dp/Flex for the purpose of getting one more player in the game.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
Oh there are pages of why this is a good stategy and stuff. It just seems that it would be a little easier to teach 'em to both hit and catch....Its not often we run into aging rightfielders in JO ball who can't cover the outfield pastures like they use to. So we need to only let them hit.

It seems to me the VAST majority of coaches use the Dp/Flex for the purpose of getting one more player in the game.
yeah... i was actually asking about why they would list the flex/dp, then promptly drop the flex from the lineup during the plate meeting.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
yeah... i was actually asking about why they would list the flex/dp, then promptly drop the flex from the lineup during the plate meeting.
Because, if they ever want to use the DP/FLEX during the course of the game, then they must start the game with it.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Because, if they ever want to use the DP/FLEX during the course of the game, then they must start the game with it.
And that is fine, but why not just leave the player there? All the coach has done here is abuse a player's eligibilty.

If you have a team that doesn't have 10 people who can play at least one portion of the game, you might want to start looking for another team.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Here's the rationale I've heard for this move.

Starting pitcher is also a very good with the bat. Relief pitcher is not.

Starting pitcher is entered as DP, relief pitcher as FLEX. Once the lineup is accepted, DP plays defense for FLEX. If a relief pitcher is needed, she re-enters as FLEX, and DP continues to bat.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Here's the rationale I've heard for this move.

Starting pitcher is also a very good with the bat. Relief pitcher is not.

Starting pitcher is entered as DP, relief pitcher as FLEX. Once the lineup is accepted, DP plays defense for FLEX. If a relief pitcher is needed, she re-enters as FLEX, and DP continues to bat.
So, just another rule, in this case meant to increase participation, becomes a game strategy and fails to achieve it's purpose unless the starting pitcher falters.

Another reason I am not a fan of specialty rules.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, just another rule, in this case meant to increase participation, becomes a game strategy and fails to achieve it's purpose unless the starting pitcher falters.

Well, I suppose the DP/FLEX rule could be argued as a participation rule, but at its core, it is a DH rule, which is intended to either provide offensive punch to the game (e.g. AL) or protect the pitcher (pretty much all amateur baseball), much like the courtesy runner rule for pitchers.

However, it seems to me that all the extra bits in the DP/FLEX rule over a simple DH rule are there precisely to allow coaches to use it strategically, and not just for participation. Otherwise, the EP rules are much easier to deal with.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 11:13am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:

I'm a fan of the EH rule in slow-pitch. It's especially nice in coed so the s**tty hot chick who can't catch or throw a damn can still bat, even if she can't hold up the bat, but does a good job of holding up her, ummm, rack while holding the bat.

Seriously, the EH rule in slow-pitch is a good one. It allows some teams who have so many good players to let one hit and still be flexible enough to allow him to switch interchangeably with someone in the field for defense. It's more used by the travel type teams than the rec type teams. I've used it plenty in men's ball when I was coaching.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, I suppose the DP/FLEX rule could be argued as a participation rule, but at its core, it is a DH rule, which is intended to either provide offensive punch to the game (e.g. AL) or protect the pitcher (pretty much all amateur baseball), much like the courtesy runner rule for pitchers.

However, it seems to me that all the extra bits in the DP/FLEX rule over a simple DH rule are there precisely to allow coaches to use it strategically, and not just for participation. Otherwise, the EP rules are much easier to deal with.
If you like, I could check with one of the former NUS members who I believe was one of the authors of the original rule. I run into him a couple times a month. I'll probably see his son Monday night.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you like, I could check with one of the former NUS members who I believe was one of the authors of the original rule. I run into him a couple times a month. I'll probably see his son Monday night.
Go ahead, but the key question is "why is the DP/FLEX not just an EP rule if the goal is participation?"
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Go ahead, but the key question is "why is the DP/FLEX not just an EP rule if the goal is participation?"
So there is a place for the person which has limited skills to participate.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 01:32pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I think the whole DP/FLEX/EH schtick got started because someone filed an ADA lawsuit, so it was aimed to "satisfy" the ADA and increase participation.