Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Asking...
Well, ASA doesn't have a definition for an "illegal substitute". Other than that....
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Case play is for unreported sub, not an illegal batter. Remember an illegal batter is declared out in 4.6.F. Then all other provisions of of 4.6.A-C are applied.

An unreported sub is a player who has a right to be doing what they did, just was not reported. An Illegal Batter is a player which had no right being anywhere near that batter's box.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Case play is for unreported sub, not an illegal batter. Remember an illegal batter is declared out in 4.6.F. Then all other provisions of of 4.6.A-C are applied.

An unreported sub is a player who has a right to be doing what they did, just was not reported. An Illegal Batter is a player which had no right being anywhere near that batter's box.
I disagree, somewhat. 4.6.F states that the I.P/I.B is DQ'd, not that they are out. 4.6.C[1-9] gets you the out (assuming they weren't put out already as in the OP.) However, the out has to be recorded and applied to someone in the batting order, doesn't it? Shouldn't it be applied to B1, then B2 comes to bat? How can you have an out apply to someone not in the batting order (the DQ'd FLEX)?

Slightly different scenario: If an unreported sub comes to bat for B1, gets put out at 1B, the next batter is B2. Why shouldn't it apply the same way if the FLEX bats for B1?
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
I disagree, somewhat. 4.6.F states that the I.P/I.B is DQ'd, not that they are out. 4.6.C[1-9] gets you the out (assuming they weren't put out already as in the OP.) However, the out has to be recorded and applied to someone in the batting order, doesn't it? Shouldn't it be applied to B1, then B2 comes to bat? How can you have an out apply to someone not in the batting order (the DQ'd FLEX)?

Slightly different scenario: If an unreported sub comes to bat for B1, gets put out at 1B, the next batter is B2. Why shouldn't it apply the same way if the FLEX bats for B1?
I'm confused enough now to neither agree or disagree. But why would you have to apply the out to someone in the batting order? In the weird BOO codes that allow you to get multiple outs for the violation, you must book one of those outs outside the order. So why not here?
________
Vaporizer Reviews

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:50pm.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Is there any significance to ASA calling the FLEX in this situation an "illegal player" instead of an "illegal substitute"?
I would say so; this application doesn't meet the definition of a "substitute".

A substitute is a player not listed in the starting line-up, or a player that left the game and re-enters. In this case, this was the starting FLEX, and, so long as she played defense, never left the game.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I disagree, somewhat. 4.6.F states that the I.P/I.B is DQ'd, not that they are out.
You are correct. Reading too many damn things at one time.

Quote:
However, the out has to be recorded and applied to someone in the batting order, doesn't it?
Maybe, maybe not. The definition of Batting Order only addresses those who are scheduled to bat. The FLEX is placed in the tenth position of the line-up according to 4.3.B, but in the batting order in RS #15.

Quote:
Shouldn't it be applied to B1, then B2 comes to bat? How can you have an out apply to someone not in the batting order (the DQ'd FLEX)?
Good question, but not the strangest thing I've ever seen

Quote:
Don't know. Was B1 out for the play, or because it was brought to the umpire's attention B1 was an U.S.?

PLEASE NOTE: I'm not saying any of us are right or wrong, just pointing out the question raised that really isn't addressed what I would consider clear. Probably wouldn't even had raised it if Ed didn't mention it.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
In the weird BOO codes that allow you to get multiple outs for the violation, you must book one of those outs outside the order.
You might re-read BOO again... you're not correct here.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

DH...great job handling it the way you did. Glad it wasn't me...and yes I now have the same headache Mark Di has.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
PLEASE NOTE: I'm not saying any of us are right or wrong, just pointing out the question raised that really isn't addressed what I would consider clear. Probably wouldn't even had raised it if Ed didn't mention it.
I think I'm going to see Western Deputy MB and Region 15 UIC WBS tonight. If so, I'll run this by them.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2009, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think I'm going to see Western Deputy MB and Region 15 UIC WBS tonight. If so, I'll run this by them.
Well, it looks like you ran it by them and it made the rules and clarifications for July 2009, which I am sure everyone has read by now.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Well, it looks like you ran it by them and it made the rules and clarifications for July 2009, which I am sure everyone has read by now.
For the non-ASA world, in the hope that all sanctions will agree:

"Ruling: When the FLEX batted in the 1st position in the batting order, (the DP is batting in the 7th position), they batted “for someone other than the original DP”. This makes the FLEX an ILLEGAL BATTER according to Rule 4, Section 6F[2]. The Flex is then disqualified and the offending team must put a substitute in for the FLEX or simply activate the DP on defense for the FLEX and drop down to 9 players on the Line-up card.

Rule 4, Section 6F[2] ILLEGAL BATTER (Fast Pitch). Placing the “FLEX” player in one of the first nine positions in the batting order for someone other than the original DP. EFFECT: Section F[2-4] The illegal Player is disqualified and replaced with a legal substitute. All other provisions of Rule 4, Section 6 A-C [1-9]apply."

Pretty much what we said.