The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a couple of games last weekend with a fellow blue who interpreted the flex/dp rule a bit different than I'd ever seen.

Lineup with DP/Flex. DP bats, flex runs for her...then back to original order. Again, same folks, DP bats, flex runs for her later in game. It happened three times in one game.

Isn't this a violation of the reentry rule? His logic was that they were both in the "official" lineup of 10 players therefore they weren't being substituted for by bench players.

He was PU so that's what we lived with for two games.....teams took great advantage of it. Not right is it?
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Flex

Yes. This is incorrect. The Flex player has "replaced" the DP in the offensive lineup. So therefore the reentry rules should apply. Both players may be in the game defensively at the same time but not offensively. So therefore to put one in the offensive the other has to "leave" the game.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Bandit,
I agree with what you are saying, but I want to make sure of one thing, you said "So therefore to put one in the offensive the other has to "leave" the game. " this is true of the DP, if the Flex is on offense then the DP has left the game. BUT what I want to make sure of is when the DP reenters the Flex has NOT left the game, as long as they still play on defense that is. I think you meant that but just wanted to make sure.

SactoBlue,
What you described is illegal as the DP can only reenter once, but if the coach subs for the starting DP when it would be there 2nd reentry whst he did would be legal with the same Flex player the entire game. The only illegal act was the starting DP getting multiple reentries.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Yes

DaveASA/Fed. Yes, Thank You
Old Thu Jul 29, 2004, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SactoBlue
Lineup with DP/Flex. DP bats, flex runs for her...then back to original order. Again, same folks, DP bats, flex runs for her later in game. It happened three times in one game.

Isn't this a violation of the reentry rule?
Yes. As the others have said, the DP should have been charged with leaving the game each time the FLEX runs, and then with a reentry when the DP bats again.

So, after the second time FLEX runs for the DP, the DP is done for the game. However, the team may bring in a sub for the DP and continue this for another 2 at bats.
Old Sat Jul 31, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
... snip ... So, after the second time FLEX runs for the DP, the DP is done for the game. However, the team may bring in a sub for the DP and continue this for another 2 at bats. [/B]
Just for clarity, newbies and semantic freaks:
when the FLEX runs/bats for the DP the second time, the original/replaced DP is done for the game. However, the team may bring in a previously unused sub for the original/replaced DP and continue this for another 2 at bats.
Old Sat Jul 31, 2004, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Just for ... semantic freaks
Anyone we know?

(Thanks for the clarification.)