The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Dp/flex

New to the other side of sports. I have a question if the DP goes in for the FLEX is that a charged sub to the FLEX and If the FLEX goes in for the DP is that a charged sub to the DP

Thanks
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 03:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryntodoitright
New to the other side of sports. I have a question if the DP goes in for the FLEX is that a charged sub to the FLEX and If the FLEX goes in for the DP is that a charged sub to the DP

Thanks
Tryin,
Welcome aboard - I did not notice that it was a first post until after I'd responded, so this is an addition to my response.

The effect is the same, but it is not a substitution when the DP - already in the game - plays defense for the Flex. This just means that the Flex has left the game and that the Flex will need to use her re-entry to come back into the game.
It is also not a substitution when the Flex - already in the game - plays offense for the DP. It just means that the DP has left the game and must use her re-entry to come back into the game.
In each of these, your lineup has gone from 10 to 9 - and may go back to 10.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

As an added twist, the DP can play defense with the FLEX still playing in the field. In this case, nobody has left the game and everyone still has their re-entry privileges.

The rules are:
(1) both the DP and the FLEX can play defense at the same time. Any 9 of the 10 listed players may play defense. There is only a substitution if the FLEX fails to play defense when a pitch is thrown.
(2) the DP and FLEX cannot both play offense at the same time. If the FLEX bats, she must do so in the DP's slot and the DP has then left the game.

Have fun with the mask and welcome to the fraternity.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryntodoitright

Thanks
I know I need cheaters to read small type, but how did you know?

To answer your question, it is a "charged" exit from the game, meaning the player leaving (FLEX in your first example, DP for the second) has one re-entry remaining.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
The effect is the same, but it is not a substitution when the DP - already in the game - plays defense for the Flex.

It is also not a substitution when the Flex - already in the game - plays offense for the DP.
Steve - why is this not a substitution? Both ASA and NFHS books use the words substitute and substitution and substituted for when describing the DP replacing the FLEX or the FLEX replacing the DP. And if they do not do it right, it is an illegal substitution with appropriate penalties.

WMB
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
Steve - why is this not a substitution? Both ASA and NFHS books use the words substitute and substitution and substituted for when describing the DP replacing the FLEX or the FLEX replacing the DP. And if they do not do it right, it is an illegal substitution with appropriate penalties.

WMB
Speaking ASA

It is not a substitution because that would be someone not presently in the game entering a spot into the line up. In both cases noted, no one has "entered" the game.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue

WMB
WMB,
It's not a substitution because - see what Mike said.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Tryin,
The best explanation or write-up I have seen on the DP/Flex is in the NCAA rule book. And, you can download that from their site - for free.
It's very wordy - far more wordy than either ASA or NFHS. But the DP/Flex is identical in all three codes.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Speaking ASA

It is not a substitution because that would be someone not presently in the game entering a spot into the line up. In both cases noted, no one has "entered" the game.
I have always thought of this as a half-substitution.

A player has left the game, but no other player that was not already in the game has entered.

This reminds me that the player who has left the game must use a re-entry, if she has one, to come back into the game.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
WMB,
It's not a substitution because - see what Mike said.
I love that answer!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tryin,
The best explanation or write-up I have seen on the DP/Flex is in the NCAA rule book.
I agree.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.