The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

My reading of Steve's post is regarless of the facts he receives when he goes for help on "some part of a play [he] didn't see", he is sticking with his call.

Is that a correct reading of his paragraph?
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
Last summer I had a coach ask me to go to my partner and ask him if 'He had a different angle'.
We've had the same coach.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
My reading of Steve's post is regarless of the facts he receives when he goes for help on "some part of a play [he] didn't see", he is sticking with his call.

No. That is not a correct reading, at least the way I am reading it. He is saying that he will not go for help, since the only thing the coach has questioned is his judgement, rather than some element of the play (pulled foot, bobbled ball..etc.) that Steve might have missed. You should NEVER go for help when a coach asks when the only question he has involves your judgement.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald

No. That is not a correct reading, at least the way I am reading it. He is saying that he will not go for help, since the only thing the coach has questioned is his judgement, rather than some element of the play (pulled foot, bobbled ball..etc.) that Steve might have missed. You should NEVER go for help when a coach asks when the only question he has involves your judgement.
Also, keep in mind that when you go to your partner for help, you still need to make the call. You add what your partner gives you to what you saw and decide from there.

In the OP, if I clearly see the runner step full on the plate from just 5 feet away, there's nothing that my partner can tell me that would make me decide that I must have seen it wrong. And there would be no point even asking my partner.

There are times when you should check with your partner. This isn't one of them.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur View Post
There are times when you should check with your partner. This isn't one of them.
About the only times you should check with your partner are on a bobbled ball, pulled foot, checked swing, swiped tag/dive back into the base where they might have had a better look because you may have been blocked or out of position, and when you don't know the correct application of a rule. I am sure there are a couple of other items that I might have missed, but that pretty much sums it up.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
About the only times you should check with your partner are on a bobbled ball, pulled foot, checked swing, swiped tag/dive back into the base where they might have had a better look because you may have been blocked or out of position, and when you don't know the correct application of a rule. I am sure there are a couple of other items that I might have missed, but that pretty much sums it up.
You forgot "keep the coach happy."
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
You forgot "keep the coach happy."
or shut the coach up

Hey, just though of something.....what has the coach ever done to keep ME happy?

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Mon Mar 30, 2009 at 05:38pm. Reason: added the second line
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 06:00pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
or shut the coach up

Hey, just though of something.....what has the coach ever done to keep ME happy?
That's not his job. Didn't you know, the coaches are our customers and the customer is always right.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

to skahtboi,

thanks. agreed.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
to skahtboi,

thanks. agreed.
Scott, thank you, restated my position exactly.

Once I have seen the play, and have no doubt about what I saw, I am not going for help to get another opinion about my judgement. Another opinion cannot overrule what I saw; asking for no reason only (potentially) sells out my partner (if what I saw can't be changed, by rule).

If I do go for help, it is because there MAY be some part of the play I did not or could not see. If I ask, I will accept my partner's observation as fact, and then rule accordingly.

I hope that's clear, Ronald.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

lol

Hugo finally joins.

Welcome brother.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for pointing that out, Wade!

I saw Hugo's name on that post, read his response and didn't even think twice about it being his first post on this board. I guess that I'm so used to seeing his name on multiple other boards that it didn't even register...

Welcome aboard!
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

I normally wouldn't just ask. But this time (above) the coach asked me to see if my partner had a different angle. Not a question of my judgment, didn't imply I had missed anything. The coach was curious if my partner had a a different angle. Question was asked and answered. Out stayed and the game went on.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Who the heck cares what the hell that coach wants?

EIther you the umpire saw the play or you didnt.

If you screwed up or something is missing, talk to your partner.

If not, you saw and you called it.

End of story.

Dont even try to put this on your partner, its your call. Own it. That coach and his little wants and desires can go pound sand.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Easy Wade.
He never laid anything on his partner. He never asked his partner a thing about judgement on the play. He merely pointed out the coach asked a stupid question, and he shared it with his BU.