The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Just when you think you have heard it all

Boys V game. In 3rd quarter white dribbles and is double teamed by blue. White goes deep into the corner and is trapped by blue. White maintains dribble and is able to dribble out of the trap. I'm T and am table side. Blue coach is behind me. He points and yells, "That's a moving screen... it was a moving screen all the way down court." He's pointing to 3 players... his 2 defenders and the dribbler. And I thought I had heard it all before.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

I was in the C position last week when a coach said, "Get 'em outta the lane. He's camping in the lane."
I said, "Coach, he's playing defense."

After that, the coach made jokes all night about getting momentarily confused.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I was doing a high school aged Rec league game last Saturday in a gym that was so quiet I was afraid people could hear my knee brace squeaking, when out of nowhere a parent stands up and starts screaming for a defensive 3-second call.

We were being evaluated at this game, and at halftime, I asked my evaluator if we had been promoted to the NBA.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Girls JV last week: scramble for loose ball up by the division line in white’s front court. White dives on the floor for the ball and with one hand scoops the ball and passes it directly to a team mate in back court. I am T and right on it and call an over and back violation. Someone in the crowd said, “That can’t be over and back, she never had control”. I’m smiling to my self thinking that was a great uncontrolled pass.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:03pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
JVB game. A down by 10 middle of the 4th Qtr. B is employing a full court man to man press. A1 inbounds to A2 in the backcourt (A2 must be a linebacker on the football team as well, big/strong kid) who proceeds to make a few dribbles and run right through and over B1 who has good LGP. B1 is knocked down and slides 15 feet down court on his back. TWEET! Player-control foul on A1. Who then says under his breath, “It’s his own fault. Boys gotta get out of my way when I’m going to the hole.”

Last edited by grunewar; Thu Jan 22, 2009 at 12:13pm.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Who then says under his breath, “It’s his own fault. Boys gotta get out of my way when I’m going to the whole.”
How do you know he said it with a mistaken spelling? Did he aspirate the H?
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:14pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
How do you know he said it with a mistaken spelling? Did he aspirate the H?
Fixed it - sheesh!
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

I'm the 'C' opposite table in the 2nd half. V is down by about 20-25 points. V player drives to the basket from the Trail and gets fouled up high by the primary defender who was guarding V player for the entire drive. Trail has foul. I come tableside for the free throws. V HC starts complaining but I don't make out what he is saying. I'm confused as his player is shooting 2 free throws. After 1st free throw V HC complains again. His complaint is that there weren't 2 whistles on the foul. He is upset because the Lead didn't have a whistle.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 22, 2009 at 03:00pm.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

JV G game and home team attempts a shot. Home player has been in the lane for a couple of seconds and as the shot attempt is air balled, visiting coach yells 3 seconds. He continues to say that a 3 second count continues on an air ball! You need to call that!!
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 12:45pm
#thereferee99

8 seconds into a Var Girls game, Trail calls traveling right in front of him.
From right behind him in the stands comes, "Jeez ref, call it both ways!"

... oh wait, that was from me. Fellow official got a chuckle, though.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm the 'C' opposite table in the 2nd half. V is down by about 20-25 points. V player drives to the basket from the Trail and gets fouled up high by the primary defender who was guarding V player for the entire drive. Trail has foul. I come tableside for the free throws. V HC starts complaining but I don't make out what he is saying. I'm confused as his player is shooting 2 free throws. After 1st free throw V HC complains again. His complaint is that there wasn't 2 whistles on the foul. He is upset because the Lead didn't have a whistle.
Was that a college coach? You said you went table side, thats not a NFHS mech. yet!
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 02:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIA REF View Post
He continues to say that a 3 second count continues on an air ball! You need to call that!!
"Coach, I've got a rule book in my bag. Let's look it up. If you're right, I'll give you $100, but if I'm right, you have to go out in the parking lot and wash my car. What do you say?"

I've never had a coach take me up on that offer.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Clueless at any level!

First half womens DIII
Post player team A gets her own rebound, left foot goes to the floor first, she stands on two feet -I am in the C on the back side of the play, she jumps and spins, while in the air put the ball to the floor starting a dribble.

I call the walk, Team A coach goes balistic "how could that possibly be a walk she had two feet on the floor". I explained the call and he calmed down somewhat.

Second half
Post player team b gets a rebound and while airborne puts the ball to the floor to begin a dribble, Team A coach goes balistic, "how is that not a travel?"

Just ignore and move on.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 03:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I had a game a few days ago in which I called a travel. When I went to administer the ball for the OOB, that coach yelled "Aren't we in the bonus?" Sheesh!
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
First half womens DIII
Post player team A gets her own rebound, left foot goes to the floor first, she stands on two feet -I am in the C on the back side of the play, she jumps and spins, while in the air put the ball to the floor starting a dribble.

I call the walk, Team A coach goes balistic "how could that possibly be a walk she had two feet on the floor". I explained the call and he calmed down somewhat.

Second half
Post player team b gets a rebound and while airborne puts the ball to the floor to begin a dribble, Team A coach goes balistic, "how is that not a travel?"

Just ignore and move on.
What's a walk?