The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Heard today from a coach (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/52596-heard-today-coach.html)

RKBUmp Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:16pm

Heard today from a coach

Working the plate today, runner coming in to score and beats the throw by 1/2 step (catcher was on the 1st base side of the plate). Im standing 5' from the play at the back edge of the right handed batters box and watch the runner plant her entire foot in the middle of the plate.

After play is over, here comes the DC. "Blue, Id like you to go to your partner for help. She missed the plate and I think your partner had a better angle on the play."

Have a nice walk back to the dugout coach.

DeputyUICHousto Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:29pm

Wow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 592468)
Working the plate today, runner coming in to score and beats the throw by 1/2 step (catcher was on the 1st base side of the plate). Im standing 5' from the play at the back edge of the right handed batters box and watch the runner plant her entire foot in the middle of the plate.

After play is over, here comes the DC. "Blue, Id like you to go to your partner for help. She missed the plate and I think your partner had a better angle on the play."

Have a nice walk back to the dugout coach.

"Sure coach, I'll be happy to ask my partner, who was 70' away, if he/she had a better angle to see the runner touch the plate. I'm sure being 70' away is much better than 5' don't you agree coach?"

What an idiot for even asking!

MichaelVA2000 Mon Mar 30, 2009 05:23am

Quote:

No coach, I will not go to my partner. I saw the runner touch the plate.

CajunNewBlue Mon Mar 30, 2009 07:40am

Quote:

And your question was what? coach. :rolleyes:

NCASAUmp Mon Mar 30, 2009 07:51am

I had a coach ask me to go to my partner on a pulled foot at 1B. Not the OC, but the DC. He claimed his player never left the ground (he was a foot and a half in the air). :rolleyes:

outathm Mon Mar 30, 2009 08:06am

Last summer I had a coach ask me to go to my partner and ask him if 'He had a different angle'. I went to my partner and asked that question. Of course I got a yes, and then called the runner our again.

After the game my partner asked me why I had to ask the question, from 40' further away and watching a play at the plate of course he ahd a different angle than me.

I was just trying to keep the coaches happy!:D

Skahtboi Mon Mar 30, 2009 08:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 592500)

Why?

NCASAUmp Mon Mar 30, 2009 08:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 592500)

Exercise in futility. They're like my old boss: never happy. Screw 'em.

I think what you probably meant was either "to get them off my back" or "to keep the game moving." Both are quite acceptable, in my book. :D

Skahtboi Mon Mar 30, 2009 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 592504)
Exercise in futility. They're like my old boss: never happy. Screw 'em.

I think what you probably meant was either "to get them off my back" or "to keep the game moving." Both are quite acceptable, in my book. :D

My point is, though, in a situation like the OP, I would have just looked at the coach, told them I clearly saw the runner touch the plate, and I have no need to talk with anyone else about it.

NCASAUmp Mon Mar 30, 2009 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 592509)
My point is, though, in a situation like the OP, I would have just looked at the coach, told them I clearly saw the runner touch the plate, and I have no need to talk with anyone else about it.

Point well made and well taken. I'm 110% in agreement with you that this coach is just reaching to see what buttons s/he can push.

AtlUmpSteve Mon Mar 30, 2009 08:58am

To all of the situations above, my response would be "Coach, I will always go for help if there is some part of a play I didn't see. No matter what angle my partner has, it can't make me 'unsee' what I saw. There is no added information needed on this play; a second opinion doesn't change my call."

RKBUmp Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:08am

I told him I was only 5' from the play and saw her foot land directly in the middle of the plate and that I was not going to go to my partner for help. Batter up, play ball.

Skahtboi Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 592516)
To all of the situations above, my response would be "Coach, I will always go for help if there is some part of a play I didn't see. No matter what angle my partner has, it can't make me 'unsee' what I saw. There is no added information needed on this play; a second opinion doesn't change my call."

Damn! You are smooth!

ronald Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:27am

"Coach, I will always go for help if there is some part of a play I didn't see. No matter what angle my partner has, it can't make me 'unsee' what I saw. There is no added information needed on this play; a second opinion doesn't change my call."

Steve, are you saying that regardaless of the information you got from your partner, the call is not changing?

It is possible to see something that did not really happen, i.e. you see a tag but your partner and everybody else including the player who missed the tag did not see the tag.

If you go to your partner and he or she says, the defense missed the tag, are you going to stick with your call? (confused)
Thanks. Ron

Dakota Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 592542)
"Coach, I will always go for help if there is some part of a play I didn't see. No matter what angle my partner has, it can't make me 'unsee' what I saw. There is no added information needed on this play; a second opinion doesn't change my call."

Steve, are you saying that regardaless of the information you got from your partner, the call is not changing?

It is possible to see something that did not really happen, i.e. you see a tag but your partner and everybody else including the player who missed the tag did not see the tag.

If you go to your partner and he or she says, the defense missed the tag, are you going to stick with your call? (confused)
Thanks. Ron

There is no second opinion on a judgment call. There can be additional facts that the calling umpire was not aware of, but no second opinion on the judgment.