The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Non-D3K Situation

When the runner runs to 1st in a non-D3K situation (Runner on 1st with less than 2 outs) I have never called Interference because I have always put the onus on the catcher to know the situation. Now, same situation and the catcher throws the ball and hits the runner and the ball goes into the dugout. What would you have then? Or do you call interference for running in that situation for trying to draw a throw?
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
When the runner runs to 1st in a non-D3K situation (Runner on 1st with less than 2 outs) I have never called Interference because I have always put the onus on the catcher to know the situation. Now, same situation and the catcher throws the ball and hits the runner and the ball goes into the dugout. What would you have then? Or do you call interference for running in that situation for trying to draw a throw?
Since there is a specific exception in the interference rule for running on a D3K, it is pretty difficult to call interference barring something obviously intentional. What you have is a DMC, that's all.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

True but what if the catcher catches it clean. Any change in your opinion?

Not in mine but I just wanted to make sure I am calling it correctly.

Many argue since it is a non-d3k situation the exception does not apply. I am not one who goes by this philosophy but I have had many arguments with ones who do go by it.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Many argue since it is a non-d3k situation the exception does not apply. I am not one who goes by this philosophy but I have had many arguments with ones who do go by it.
If the exception only applied to true D3K situations (that is, where there actually is an uncaught 3rd strike with 1B unoccupied or 2 outs), then there would be no need for the exception. In ASA, the exception is stated
Quote:
NOTE: A runner continuing to run and drawing a throw may be considered a form of interference. This does not apply to the batter-runner running on the dropped third strike rule.
Taking this exception literally, it would never apply at all because if it is not an actual D3K, there is no BR! Obviously, it seems to me, the literal interpretation is not what was intended.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But the exception if for when the U3K isn't available. The "many" have it backwards.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Since there is a specific exception in the interference rule for running on a D3K, it is pretty difficult to call interference barring something obviously intentional. What you have is a DMC, that's all.
If it were a NFHS game I would enforce rule 8-4-3k and award the runners two bases from the time the ball became dead.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post
If it were a NFHS game I would enforce rule 8-4-3k and award the runners two bases from the time the ball became dead.
Yeah, same for ASA. I just didn't carry it forward to the thrown ball out of play base awards.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
If the exception only applied to true D3K situations (that is, where there actually is an uncaught 3rd strike with 1B unoccupied or 2 outs), then there would be no need for the exception. In ASA, the exception is stated Taking this exception literally, it would never apply at all because if it is not an actual D3K, there is no BR! Obviously, it seems to me, the literal interpretation is not what was intended.
Tom... I was heading in the same direction. If you took this rule literally then you have a retired batter that is going to first and if she draws the throw she should be called for interfering with the play.

My book is in the car. Was the rule quoted correctly?
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
Tom... I was heading in the same direction. If you took this rule literally then you have a retired batter that is going to first and if she draws the throw she should be called for interfering with the play.

My book is in the car. Was the rule quoted correctly?
The NOTE I quoted (correctly) is a note to rule 8-7-P. Here it is in its entirety:
Quote:
P. When, after being declared out or after scoring, an offensive player interferes with a defensive player’s opportunity to make a play on another runner.
EFFECT: The ball is dead. The runner closest to home plate at the time of the interference is out. All runners not out must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.
NOTE: A runner continuing to run and drawing a throw may be considered a form of interference. This does not apply to the batter-runner running on the dropped third strike rule.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...throws the ball and hits the runner and the ball goes into the dugout...
Was the runner in the running lane?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post
Two bases awarded on spectator's interfence?

I agree with no interfernce and believe it's 8-4-3f in NFHS if a thrown ball goes in dead ball territory.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

I think the exception applies to the phrase "after being declared out" on the D3K. Think about it. You've got one knee up in the air, your left fist pointing at the scorekeeper in the front row, your right fist beside your bosom and you are saying, "harggggh" loudly enough for the bus driver to hear. But, there is an optic yellow orb on the ground and the batter is taking off to first. If first is unoccupied or there are 2 outs, she is the exception, declared out and running. If the D3K is not in effect and she runs, you should be declaring her out loudly and clearly enough for the infield to hear especially F2.

So if R1 is on 3B and R2 is on 1B and there is one out, there is no situation when a BR would be running on a D3K and therefore no exception to the interference rule. If she does run and draws a throw from F2 and the ball ends up in RF. Don't you have a Dead Ball and interference? The runner on third is out?

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13 View Post
i think the exception applies to the phrase "after being declared out" on the d3k. Think about it. You've got one knee up in the air, your left fist pointing at the scorekeeper in the front row, your right fist beside your bosom and you are saying, "harggggh" loudly enough for the bus driver to hear. But, there is an optic yellow orb on the ground and the batter is taking off to first. If first is unoccupied or there are 2 outs, she is the exception, declared out and running. If the d3k is not in effect and she runs, you should be declaring her out loudly and clearly enough for the infield to hear especially f2.

So if r1 is on 3b and r2 is on 1b and there is one out, there is no situation when a br would be running on a d3k and therefore no exception to the interference rule. If she does run and draws a throw from f2 and the ball ends up in rf. Don't you have a dead ball and interference? The runner on third is out?
NO!!! That IS when the exception applies!!!

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Thu Apr 02, 2009 at 06:50am.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
NO!!! That IS when the exception applies!!!
I really can't understand why that would be. It seems that the rules all have some underlying purpose of protecting either the offense or the defense. especially rules with exceptions or special situation like IFF. This exception makes no sense (to me yet) if it is not to protect the BR from an int. call after being declared (or even assumed) out on strikes. Why protect the offense that runs when they arenot supposed to run or penalize the defense that throws the ball away reacting to the errant play of the offense. I know they are supposed to be aware of the game situation.

I don't know anyone on any rules committees who could explain this so if you could please just let me know so that I could understand why the exception is not the runner allowed to run with 3K and is that there is no penalty for running when they clearly are prohibited from being eligible from reaching base by rule.

I am not trying to be a smart bohiney but I don't understand.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Are you sure you're not Cory from Cali? (eteamz reference...)

ASA does have problems from time to time with a difference between the literal reading of a rule/exception/note and what is intended. Think of it this way. 8-7-P is about runners who are not runners. They could have achieved that status by either scoring, being put out, or by being a batter. Second, the exception about BR running on the third strike rule should actually say a batter or retired batter running as if it were a dropped third strike. That is what ASA intends here.

Regardless, you will not find a rule about a batter running to draw a throw, except in this exception.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Tom is on target here.

Speaking ASA

The key is the rule being addressed is a offensive player who is already out or has scored continuing to run and drawing a throw (8.7.P.Note) In the late '90s, umpires started to apply the rule to the player who struck out and was not eligible to attempt to advance to 1B due to an uncaught third strike. The following year, the "note" to this rule was added to clarify the situation.

Yes, ASA could have termed this better, but the point is that in this situation, the onus is placed upon the defense to be aware of whether the BR/retired batter is eligible to go to 1B or not and make the appropriate play.