The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
An email from K.Ryan sent today:

There has been a mistake found on the 2009 exam. W.S. [name changed to initials by SRW] caught it and sent it to me. We will post something on the web so all will know but it will be in February’s plays and clarifications. The question is number 31. The answer listed as the correct answer is letter D which is incorrect. None of the answers are totally correct. The question involves an Illegal player and the answer listed as the correct answer is for an unreported substitute. The problem is they used to have the same penalty. Since the penalty for the unreported substitute has changed because of the rule change they are no longer disqualified and when found entered into the game. An Illegal Player is still disqualified and that is what the answer should have said. The question can be discarded when the test is taken, or however you want to handle it. I apologies for the incorrect answer and will look closer next time to make sure the test is totally correct. I appreciate your understanding.

So, does that make the correct answer C?
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Question 40

I've sometimes been told that I might be reading too much into a question when I take these tests. Question 31 is a good example of that. I am not quite sure if I should try and answer the question as written, or what I think the author was looking for in the first place.

In a similar situation, I have an issue with Question 40:

40) The official bat shall be:
a) Of one piece construction.
b) Multi-piece permanently assembled construction.
c) Two-piece interchangeable construction.
d) All of the above.

This is included in the 2009 Playing Rule Changes, and while the question almost mirrors the Rule: 3 Section 1 K wording, the combination of answers matching the statement portion of the test question are mutually exclusive.

I'd suggest that the wording should have been something like:

The official bat MAY be: [with same answers],

or, the last answer amended to be:

d) ANY of the above.

If this was an SAT or similar test, answer "d" cannot be correct since a bat can only be one piece construction, or two-piece construction, or multi-piece construction. I cannot satisfy all three conditions. Two-piece could be considered multi-piece or vice-versa, but neither of those could be one piece; and one piece cannot obviously be two-piece or multi-piece.

But I think, and hope, that the answer they're looking for is "d". That's what I pick.

Ted
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I've sometimes been told that I might be reading too much into a question when I take these tests. Question 31 is a good example of that. I am not quite sure if I should try and answer the question as written, or what I think the author was looking for in the first place.

In a similar situation, I have an issue with Question 40:

40) The official bat shall be:
a) Of one piece construction.
b) Multi-piece permanently assembled construction.
c) Two-piece interchangeable construction.
d) All of the above.

This is included in the 2009 Playing Rule Changes, and while the question almost mirrors the Rule: 3 Section 1 K wording, the combination of answers matching the statement portion of the test question are mutually exclusive.

I'd suggest that the wording should have been something like:

The official bat MAY be: [with same answers],

or, the last answer amended to be:

d) ANY of the above.

If this was an SAT or similar test, answer "d" cannot be correct since a bat can only be one piece construction, or two-piece construction, or multi-piece construction. I cannot satisfy all three conditions. Two-piece could be considered multi-piece or vice-versa, but neither of those could be one piece; and one piece cannot obviously be two-piece or multi-piece.

But I think, and hope, that the answer they're looking for is "d". That's what I pick.

Ted
Yes, I believe you are reading too much into this question. This is not an SAT or any other type of test other than a simple softball rules test.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Yes, I believe you are reading too much into this question. This is not an SAT or any other type of test other than a simple softball rules test.
With all due respect Mike, the ASA test makers seem to pride themselves on issuing umpire exams with ambiguous questions. It seems that less than half of the questions are that cut and dried.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbock View Post
With all due respect Mike, the ASA test makers seem to pride themselves on issuing umpire exams with ambiguous questions. It seems that less than half of the questions are that cut and dried.
That's how I feel about NFHS tests.

Personally, if a question is presented in that manner, I don't believe it is intentional.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 01:40pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
An email from K.Ryan sent today:

There has been a mistake found on the 2009 exam. W.S. [name changed to initials by SRW] caught it and sent it to me. We will post something on the web so all will know but it will be in February’s plays and clarifications. The question is number 31. The answer listed as the correct answer is letter D which is incorrect. None of the answers are totally correct. The question involves an Illegal player and the answer listed as the correct answer is for an unreported substitute. The problem is they used to have the same penalty. Since the penalty for the unreported substitute has changed because of the rule change they are no longer disqualified and when found entered into the game. An Illegal Player is still disqualified and that is what the answer should have said. The question can be discarded when the test is taken, or however you want to handle it. I apologies for the incorrect answer and will look closer next time to make sure the test is totally correct. I appreciate your understanding.
As a college instructor, I had to laugh at the part I highlighted in red. Now I'm starting to have sinister thoughts as I'm writing an exam for the students...hmmm....
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
sorry, I just couldn't lurk any more.

Yes, less than half are cut and dried. Kinda like a softball game. It isn't all black and white. There are some shades of gray -- sometimes many shades of gray. Could be 256 shades of gray.

BTW, I always like sentences which begin "With all due respect..." It's like seeing someone drive the wrong way on a one-way street: the crash is coming, and you hope no one gets seriously injured.

OK. Back under my rock. Bye.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post

Could be 256 shades of gray.
Not a problem as long as they are all from ASA Merchandise.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
sorry, I just couldn't lurk any more.

Yes, less than half are cut and dried. Kinda like a softball game. It isn't all black and white. There are some shades of gray -- sometimes many shades of gray. Could be 256 shades of gray.

BTW, I always like sentences which begin "With all due respect..." It's like seeing someone drive the wrong way on a one-way street: the crash is coming, and you hope no one gets seriously injured.

OK. Back under my rock. Bye.
With all due respect bkbjones, most softball games are in fact cut and dried. Every now and then, something gray comes up, you make a call and hope like hell it was the right one and look it up afterward to be sure. That I believe is where you learn most of the "gray" rules; not in a 30-45 minute multiple choice exam where one will more than likely forget what he or she was exposed to in a short amount of time.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Every now and then, something gray comes up, you make a call and hope like hell it was the right one and look it up afterward to be sure. That I believe is where you learn most of the "gray" rules; not in a 30-45 minute multiple choice exam where one will more than likely forget what he or she was exposed to in a short amount of time.
I disagree to an extent. The more you study the rule book, the more you look at questions and quizzes, and the more you learn the craft, the better prepared you are. Then the rules become less "gray".
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not a problem as long as they are all from ASA Merchandise.
Unfortunately, they're out of stock. Should've ordered back in May like me.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I disagree to an extent. The more you study the rule book, the more you look at questions and quizzes, and the more you learn the craft, the better prepared you are. Then the rules become less "gray".
That doesn't explain all the HTBT plays we all are guilty of commenting upon...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

The main question still remains: Who has the correct answers and is willing to post them or a link to them?
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowers1634 View Post
The main question still remains: Who has the correct answers and is willing to post them or a link to them?
I don't think you'll find anyone willing to post them here, bub.