The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

What is a passing grade on the ASA umpire exam? Does it depend on the state or is it uniform throughout the country?
Thanks
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not happy unless I get 'em all right!

There really is no passing grade per se, but I'm sure your assignor if he cares would want you to do as well as possible. The test is really designed IMO more to make you learn than to test your knowledge. You don't even have to take it to register, or call games.

It is because of that people on this board are reluctant to post correct answers, as they should.

Remember (and there is even a passage in the umpire manual to this effect) a memorization of the rules is not what makes a good umpire. You must know them sure, but you must be able to apply them correctly also.

Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
I'm not happy unless I get 'em all right!
Isn't that the truth?!?!

Our association requires a passing grade of 80 to not have to take the test over. If you make less than that, then you do the whole thing over again.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Why would anyone be reluctant to post correct answers?????
How can that possibly be a bad thing?
Isn't the forum designed to help any individual willing to seek assistance and guidance?
Or am I mistaken?
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by officialtony
Why would anyone be reluctant to post correct answers?????[/i]
For the obvious reason that others would come here and simply copy the answers to their test. If they do that, what do they learn? It sort of defeats the whole purpose of the test, doesn't it?!?!

Quote:
See above.

Quote:
Isn't the forum designed to help any individual willing to seek assistance and guidance?
Or am I mistaken?
No, you are correct. That is why it is better to discuss the questions in the manner in which we do, rather than just posting the answers for all to see and copy.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

passing grade

I didn't asked for the answers, I was just wondering what percent was required to be a passing grade. I do think it would be a good idea to post the answers to prior years tests for review purposes. I keep my old tests because we just mail in the answer sheet. It would be nice to know which ones I missed even if it was the next year.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by officialtony
Why would anyone be reluctant to post correct answers?????
Or am I mistaken?

Tony, You were around here last year when there were some looking for the test answers.

Why are some (myself included) reluctant to post the correct answers?
I had to work and study the rules to gain the knowledge, why would I not want someone who I may be calling with to work to acheive rules knowledge rather than just being able to copy an answer?

As in my original answer, the ASA test is designed to make you learn (through study). If the correct answers are posted, some wouldn't bother with the study at all.

Ahh, but that is done here all the time, and in that way the questioners are led to the correct answers, not just given them. Mike, (Irish) and others continually offer to grade people tests, but not to supply an answer sheet.

Or am I mistaken?

Maybe. Its possible that you misunderstood the intent of my post.

As for posting the answers from previous years, well the cats out of the bag. An NUS member pointed out in a clinic, (and many already knew this). The answer key has been the same for several years! If the answer for #1 was B in 2002, it was B in '03 and '04! Pretty easy to find the correct answers there!