Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
She must be a keeper then!
It helps being married to a leisure rec major.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Scott,
What was the furthest he moved away from the plate during a call at second base? I want to make sure that my field movements match the degree of my pitch calling....

8 to 10 feet is plenty.

If you have several games, you can probably just stay stationary behind the plate.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
8 to 10 feet is plenty.

If you have several games, you can probably just stay stationary behind the plate.
Oh, so SRW and I now know to emulate Jeff Vance.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
If it's beer league, I say go for it!
What ever you do to get you through that night mare is good to go!
Double fist pump with a throat slice and a flying double safe call..
Thats good to go!
For the beer league....Does it really matter?
Of course not. Survival of whatever it takes.
OK, I admit it!...Doing timed SP games, I will call a legal pitch that hits the back edge/point of the plate and bounces as if it hit the dirt, state "plate" while pointing at the plate then "ball"....Prior to this unapproved "mechanic", I cant tell you the number of complaints from pitchers thinking the pitch was a strike, causing me to briefly explain why not, in essence delaying the game.
Since then, I've not heard a thing from any pitcher, games go smoother,...survival.....I'm betting that 99% of SP players dont know what a double fist pump means anyway...

Last edited by archangel; Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 12:50pm.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
OK, I admit it!...Doing timed SP games, I will call a legal pitch that hits the back edge/point of the plate and bounces as if it hit the dirt, "plate" pointing at the plate then "ball"....Prior to this unapproved "mechanic", I cant tell you the number of complaints from pitchers thinking the pitch was a strike, causing me to briefly explain why not, in essence delaying the game.
Why are you explaining anything to the pitcher?

That's the catcher's job.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Why are you explaining anything to the pitcher? That's the catcher's job.
"Hey Blue, wasnt that a strike?, it hit behind the plate"... So I'm supposed to not say anything, waiting for the catcher to answer a Q that wasnt directed at him?.. rriiight...
Lets get real here, its mens rec SP, and there's enough complaints about anything that doesnt go a players way, that I'm going to control the game (psst! its called game management) so that it goes smoothly. I follow ASA mechanics on all but that sitch..and if my choice is what I do there vs the proper ASA mechanic for that specific sitch, plus let the game go longer, and temperatures get higher..well, I know what's the "right" thing to do.

I also dont take abuse, and toss who I have to.
Sorry that you are confused...
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
"Hey Blue, wasnt that a strike?, it hit behind the plate"... So I'm supposed to not say anything, waiting for the catcher to answer a Q that wasnt directed at him?.. rriiight...
Lets get real here, its mens rec SP, and there's enough complaints about anything that doesnt go a players way, that I'm going to control the game (psst! its called game management) so that it goes smoothly. I follow ASA mechanics on all but that sitch..and if my choice is what I do there vs the proper ASA mechanic for that specific sitch, plus let the game go longer, and temperatures get higher..well, I know what's the "right" thing to do.

I also dont take abuse, and toss who I have to.
Sorry that you are confused...
The only ball I call is SP without stealing. If it hits the plate, I just call "ball." If they have questions, then I'll tell them. Most of the time, the pitchers can see that the ball ricocheted at a weird angle and don't question it. Years ago, I'll admit to using the dreaded double-fist pump or point to the plate. After I stopped doing that, I found that I still got the same amount of squawking as before, so using that signal didn't help me at all. Pitchers who squawk will squawk no matter what, even if we put a big Jumbotron behind home plate with an automatic instant replay of every pitch.

Usually, the most I'll hear is "did it hit the black?"

My answer: "yep, and the white part, too."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
The only ball I call is SP without stealing. If it hits the plate, I just call "ball." If they have questions, then I'll tell them. Most of the time, the pitchers can see that the ball ricocheted at a weird angle and don't question it. Years ago, I'll admit to using the dreaded double-fist pump or point to the plate. After I stopped doing that, I found that I still got the same amount of squawking as before, so using that signal didn't help me at all. Pitchers who squawk will squawk no matter what, even if we put a big Jumbotron behind home plate with an automatic instant replay of every pitch.

Usually, the most I'll hear is "did it hit the black?"

My answer: "yep, and the white part, too."
Yea Dave, I agree with you....I wasnt talking about those that ricochete (dont think I've ever spelled that word before- looked at your correct spelling lol) or bounce in the plate middle, only those close to the back...anyway, the only pitcher squawks I get now are for close pitches that dont go thru the zone....I still have some fall SP games...think I'll try the correct way, see what happens....
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

I read three pages and no references to "Gotta Be"?

For shame.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
Oh, so SRW and I now know to emulate Jeff Vance.
Oh I think I have a little vomit in my mouth right now.

I learned something else this weekend that ties right into this thread:

If you're the tournament UIC, you get to do any or all of the following:

- Assign scheduling the crew to someone else, i.e.: hire your own "scheduler"
- Make sure the "scheduler" assigns yourself into the schedule to work just as many games as the most worked umps on the crew.
- Not pay the "scheduler" any of your UIC fee.
- Wear a long sleeved dark blue sweatshirt underneath your powder blue short sleeved ASA uniform shirt.
- Throw a hissy fit when a decision is made to start a game on time and use an umpire waiting for one field to finish because the decision wasn't made by you. . . Because you were working a game and couldn't be contacted.
- Complain that it's 45 miles to the fields each way.
- Complain that it's not worth the UIC fee of $3/game to do the job
- Complain that it's too much money to buy anything other than water, donuts, apples, and candy for refreshments for the crew.
- Deny the acusation that you're in it for the money.

I'm sure there's more that bkbjones will fill in...
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I learned something else this weekend that ties right into this thread:

If you're the tournament UIC, you get to do any or all of the following:

- Assign scheduling the crew to someone else, i.e.: hire your own "scheduler"
- Make sure the "scheduler" assigns yourself into the schedule to work just as many games as the most worked umps on the crew.
- Not pay the "scheduler" any of your UIC fee.
- Wear a long sleeved dark blue sweatshirt underneath your powder blue short sleeved ASA uniform shirt.
- Throw a hissy fit when a decision is made to start a game on time and use an umpire waiting for one field to finish because the decision wasn't made by you. . . Because you were working a game and couldn't be contacted.
- Complain that it's 45 miles to the fields each way.
- Complain that it's not worth the UIC fee of $3/game to do the job
- Complain that it's too much money to buy anything other than water, donuts, apples, and candy for refreshments for the crew.
- Deny the acusation that you're in it for the money.

Ohhh man... thats one tournament I want to work 1 game in and then leave
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Scott,
What was the furthest he moved away from the plate during a call at second base? I want to make sure that my field movements match the degree of my pitch calling....

Ya don't let us down was he a 5 foot chain guy???
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
8 to 10 feet is plenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Ya don't let us down was he a 5 foot chain guy???

Dave:

Above you will see my response to the original question. He had a slightly longer chain.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

- As UIC, not only schedule yourself for a full schedule on the field, even though you've been told 100 times that is not ok, but change the schedule done by the scheduler so that said UIC has the dish on a championship game.
- Forget three times to attach the schedule to the e-mail, then tell two umpires you overlooked "I sent the schedule three times."
- Switch SRW from said championship game to a practice game.

This crew chief bought one bunch of bananas for the weekend.

Oh, yeah, we reimburse the UIC for the supplies they buy for the crew for the weekend.

Apparently he has fired his scheduler, cuz he has neither e-mailed nor called. I imagine I will hear the call sometime Thursday...
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
- As UIC, not only schedule yourself for a full schedule on the field, even though you've been told 100 times that is not ok, but change the schedule done by the scheduler so that said UIC has the dish on a championship game.
- Forget three times to attach the schedule to the e-mail, then tell two umpires you overlooked "I sent the schedule three times."
- Switch SRW from said championship game to a practice game.

This crew chief bought one bunch of bananas for the weekend.

Oh, yeah, we reimburse the UIC for the supplies they buy for the crew for the weekend.

Apparently he has fired his scheduler, cuz he has neither e-mailed nor called. I imagine I will hear the call sometime Thursday...

Im guessing thats this is not the first time y'all have worked for this guy because of the "he's been told 100 times" comment... I only have one question.... WHY? do you keep working for him?
One thing I can say for sure is that around here, the UIC's I have the pleasure of working for are great. they only umpire when they have to... they know the freaking rules and are pretty darn good at getting the coaches off yer butt "when and if needed".. they either hook us up with meal tickets or arrange food like jambalaya or ettoufee or buy sandwich stuff to make your own and fruit and drinks.
Ok, maybe I am spoiled.
BTW: is it proper to offer the UIC money to reimburse them... coz I always assumed they bought the stuff with money out of a fund.