The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   New mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/49293-new-mechanics.html)

Skahtboi Thu Oct 09, 2008 09:36am

New mechanics

I just want to share with you some new mechanics I learned watching the daughter play some slow pitch the other day.

Right arm, palm perpendicular to the ground, making an up and down motion like rubbing something. This means pitch outside, and you must say, "outside." (On a left handed batter, it means pitch inside, and you must say "inside.")

Same motion with the left arm means pitch inside, and you must verbalize "inside." (Just the opposite with left handed batter.)

These next two signals mean essentially the same thing, and can be interchanged. Give a safe sign, and then raise it (sort of like a bird trying to take flight, very slowly) and call "high", for a pitch that is out of the strike zone on the high side. Or, you can run your fingers across your throat, (sort of like a knife weilding murderer cutting your throat) and it means the same thing.

For a pitch that is low, hack your hand into your knee and say "too low."

If the pitch hits the plate, I know you all expect to see the double fist pump. No, not this one. Left hand open, palm up, bring your right closed fist into this, and verbalize "plate."

Also, before game and in between innings, do not use the prescribed mechanics, but rather talk with players and spectators as much as possible. He was so busy talking that a scheduled 6:30 start didn't actually begin until 6:43, and only then when the coaches said something to him. (The coach for "our" team said "we gonna play ball tonight?")

So, now all of you can say you know the latest in slow pitch mechanics. You can thank me later. :D

PtotheB Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:49am

Thank You So Very Much!!!
I have printed out these nuggets of wisdom, laminated them and put them in my ball bag (worn on the bases and the plate). My apologies in advance for anyone who sees me reading them prior to implementing as I want worse than anything to "Get it RIGHT".
Thanks for your patience and understanding. A big double fist pump to you and yours.

Dholloway1962 Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:04am

Doing HS FP 6A Regional final this afternoon. I will incorporate those into my plate game so we can begin making the transition to FP as well.

socalumps Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 542165)
I just want to share with you some new mechanics I learned watching the daughter play some slow pitch the other day.

Right arm, palm perpendicular to the ground, making an up and down motion like rubbing something. This means pitch outside, and you must say, "outside." (On a left handed batter, it means pitch inside, and you must say "inside.")

Same motion with the left arm means pitch inside, and you must verbalize "inside." (Just the opposite with left handed batter.)

These next two signals mean essentially the same thing, and can be interchanged. Give a safe sign, and then raise it (sort of like a bird trying to take flight, very slowly) and call "high", for a pitch that is out of the strike zone on the high side. Or, you can run your fingers across your throat, (sort of like a knife weilding murder cutting your throat) and it means the same thing.

If the pitch hits the plate, I know you all expect to see the double fist pump. No, not this one. Left hand open, palm up, bring your right closed fist into this, and verbalize "plate."

Also, before game and in between innings, do not use the prescribed mechanics, but rather talk with players and spectators as much as possible. He was so busy talking that a scheduled 6:30 start didn't actually begin until 6:43, and only then when the coaches said something to him. (The coach for "our" team said "we gonna play ball tonight?")

So, now all of you can say you know the latest in slow pitch mechanics. You can thank me later. :D

Sounds like his mechanics were very communicative??

NCASAUmp Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:10am

Oh crap, I didn't use these mechanics while at my National! I hope I didn't get dinged on my eval for it... :eek:

Dakota Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:19am

No disrespect for the slow pitch umpires on this board who do things right, but why is it that the slow pitch game seems to be overrun with this kind of umpiring?

It is rare to see this kind of made up mechanics and running commentary by a plate umpire in the fast pitch games (by my experience, anyway). There are a few around here who insist on calling "inside", "outside", etc., instead of "ball", but that is about as far as it goes.

NCASAUmp Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 542180)
No disrespect for the slow pitch umpires on this board who do things right, but why is it that the slow pitch game seems to be overrun with this kind of umpiring?

It is rare to see this kind of made up mechanics and running commentary by a plate umpire in the fast pitch games (by my experience, anyway). There are a few around here who insist on calling "inside", "outside", etc., instead of "ball", but that is about as far as it goes.

Because SP is so much more recreational, it tends to invite the more "recreational umpire." FP and MP don't tend to be that way for many reasons, including financial (who wants to spend a couple hundred in gear if they aren't really serious about it?).

In other words, there's a bit more of an "anybody can do it" mentality with SP.

And no, no offense was taken. I know exactly what you mean.

Welpe Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:25pm

Was the hand on the chest while yelling "DEEP" part of the repitoire? I've always found that especially useful, but maybe it is an advanced mechanic.

Skahtboi Thu Oct 09, 2008 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 542209)
Was the hand on the chest while yelling "DEEP" part of the repitoire? I've always found that especially useful, but maybe it is an advanced mechanic.

Believe it or not, he didn't have a "deep" signal or call. Guess he still needs to go to an advanced school.

Skahtboi Thu Oct 09, 2008 01:58pm

I forgot to mention that this guy also taught me that there is no need to switch sides to work the slot. You can stay on the left side of the catcher for both right and left handed batters.

NCASAUmp Thu Oct 09, 2008 02:09pm

Proposed 2009 foul ball mechanic

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/2...rG37V5G6h23g--

Welpe Thu Oct 09, 2008 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 542245)

Ah, no I know a better theme song than "Perfect Strangers"... "Laverne & Shirley"!

We’re gonna do it!
Give us any chance, we’ll take it.
Give us any rule, we’ll break it.
We’re gonna make our dreams come true.
Doin’ it our way.

NCASAUmp Thu Oct 09, 2008 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 542250)
Ah, no I know a better theme song than "Perfect Strangers"... "Laverne & Shirley"!

We’re gonna do it!
Give us any chance, we’ll take it.
Give us any rule, we’ll break it.
We’re gonna make our dreams come true.
Doin’ it our way.

Crap, now I've got that song caught in my head! :eek:

MichaelVA2000 Thu Oct 09, 2008 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 542165)

These next two signals mean essentially the same thing, and can be interchanged. Give a safe sign, and then raise it (sort of like a bird trying to take flight, very slowly) and call "high", for a pitch that is out of the strike zone on the high side. Or, you can run your fingers across your throat, (sort of like a knife weilding murderer cutting your throat) and it means the same thing.

If he does fast pitch and wears his ball bag while umpiring the bases, I may have worked with him during the PONY Nationals in Ohio last year.

SRW Thu Oct 09, 2008 03:49pm

Scott,
What was the furthest he moved away from the plate during a call at second base? I want to make sure that my field movements match the degree of my pitch calling....

:rolleyes: