The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

As I have been doing nothing but SP with myself as the only umpire all year, I haven't paid much attention to the 2-person mechanics. There is a Fall league championship game tomorrow that I am honored that my assignor wants me to do. For this one game only they are having 2 umpires. I just found this out this morning. I will of course study up on this tonight, but I know many of you work with 2 umpires all the time and was looking for some quick advise. Maybe just a few pointers to help someone used to being the only umpire on the field.

Thanks for your comments.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tzme415
As I have been doing nothing but SP with myself as the only umpire all year, I haven't paid much attention to the 2-person mechanics. There is a Fall league championship game tomorrow that I am honored that my assignor wants me to do. For this one game only they are having 2 umpires. I just found this out this morning. I will of course study up on this tonight, but I know many of you work with 2 umpires all the time and was looking for some quick advise. Maybe just a few pointers to help someone used to being the only umpire on the field.

Thanks for your comments.
Are you working the bases or plate?
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know yet...probably the bases.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know yet...probably the bases.
No problem. You stay in the B the entire game. No A, no C, just the B. If there is no one on, I suggest you stay off F4's left shoulder. If there are runners on base, set up off whatever shoulder with which you are more comfortable (depending on where F4 is playing). If F4 goes deep, go toward the middle and just stay behind a direct line between the two closest fielders.

You should never be to the right of 2B, but if they are playing a 5-man infield, you may have to adjust in the middle a bit especially if there is stealing.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

There is no stealing and I doubt there will be a 5 man infield, so staying in B should be no problem. If I read correctly, the field umpire is responsible for 1st and 2nd base, the last runner up to third if multiple runners and going out on balls to center and right field, the plate umpire has third and home, fair and foul, balls to left field, and anything to do with the pitch. I know this is over simplifying, but I think this is the basics.

Let me know if I misunderstood.

Mike - Thanks for the help, I was really concerned about being in the right position, but staying in B makes that one less thing I have to worry about.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is no stealing and I doubt there will be a 5 man infield, so staying in B should be no problem. If I read correctly, the field umpire is responsible for 1st and 2nd base, the last runner up to third if multiple runners and going out on balls to center and right field, the plate umpire has third and home, fair and foul, balls to left field, and anything to do with the pitch. I know this is over simplifying, but I think this is the basics.

Let me know if I misunderstood.

Mike - Thanks for the help, I was really concerned about being in the right position, but staying in B makes that one less thing I have to worry about.
While the book says that with multiple runners the BU only has the last runner to 3B, I would suggest you prepare to be in position to make a call at 3B on any runner with the exception of the lead runner. The PU must stay at the plate if a play there is possible. However, s/he will never be in a position to make a call at 3B if the throw home is cut and there is a subsequent play at 3B.