The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

If you like these advanced mechanics, you'll love what is apparently the new softball umpire uniform requirements- or, at least, the uniform worn by a recent partner I had in a men's fastpitch tourney.

This guy was on the bases and wearing a ball bag! But there was more to it than that. He wore his shirt UNTUCKED, then fastened the ball bag around his waist with a thin, elastic belt, so his shirt was cinched at the waist with about 12" below that blousing out like a tunic.

Now, he did also demonstrate some mechanics that must have been super-secret advanced stuff. Like positioning himself right on the foul line behind third base with a runner on second.

But my favorite was when we had a check swing appeal. I step out from behind the plate, point to my partner and ask, "Did he go?". All I get is a deer-in-the-headlights blank stare until, finally, he seems to realize we're waiting on his input. Then he just says, "I don't know", and shrugs his shoulders!
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
No disrespect for the slow pitch umpires on this board who do things right, but why is it that the slow pitch game seems to be overrun with this kind of umpiring?
In the beautiful area of Phoenix, AZ, we get to play ball year around. There are so many slowpitch leagues and games around here that I believe the umpiring organizations will take just about anybody that wants to work.

With so many leagues and games available, we also have a glut of "umpires" that call SP solely for the money. If you can work 4-5 nights a week, 3 or 4 games a night and tournaments on the weekends...that's a decent second (or in some cases) primary income.

Darrell is much more involved in SP around here than I am, so I'm sure he could shed some light on this as well.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
But my favorite was when we had a check swing appeal. I step out from behind the plate, point to my partner and ask, "Did he go?". All I get is a deer-in-the-headlights blank stare until, finally, he seems to realize we're waiting on his input. Then he just says, "I don't know", and shrugs his shoulders!
I'm sure that went over like a turd in a punchbowl.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Just to expedite things and keep the game moving I quickly said, "That's a ball", gave the count and got back behind the plate. Surprisingly, nobody really said anything, other than the catcher. All he said was something along the lines of, "What was that?", and I said, "He didn't overrule me, so it's still a ball". He seemed to have bought it- not another peep.

Which, when you think about it, does kind of work out the right way. If a base umpire is not sure he saw a swing, he should not call the strike. Believe me, this partner wasn't sure of much!

Last edited by BretMan; Thu Oct 09, 2008 at 07:55pm.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 08:50pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

This summer when I scored my first SP game for my friends, the umpire called one pitch "hit the plate!" and I instincitvely called out "so is it a ball or a strike?"

I only asked since I once was at a HS JV FP game (NFHS rules) where the other team was not very talented and their pitcher pitched slow pitch style. And any time she hit the plate with a pitch, the PU (working solo) called it a strike.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
This summer when I scored my first SP game for my friends, the umpire called one pitch "hit the plate!" and I instincitvely called out "so is it a ball or a strike?"

I only asked since I once was at a HS JV FP game (NFHS rules) where the other team was not very talented and their pitcher pitched slow pitch style. And any time she hit the plate with a pitch, the PU (working solo) called it a strike.
Most slow pitch style pitching that hits the plate passes through the strike zone, no? Unless she's pitching low or going around the strike zone.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Most slow pitch style pitching that hits the plate passes through the strike zone, no? Unless she's pitching low or going around the strike zone.
While that is true, NFHS 7-2-2 Effect says "Any pitch that touches the plate shall be called a ball if the batter does not swing at it."

ASA 7-5.A also makes a ball that touches home plate in fastpitch a ball, if not swung at.

According to the "old regime", that rule exists for consistency, not because they believed it couldn't be a strike.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
While that is true, NFHS 7-2-2 Effect says "Any pitch that touches the plate shall be called a ball if the batter does not swing at it."

ASA 7-5.A also makes a ball that touches home plate in fastpitch a ball, if not swung at.

According to the "old regime", that rule exists for consistency, not because they believed it couldn't be a strike.
Whoa, that's a big one I've never noticed. Strange I've never taken any grief for it. Thanks.

--Actually, edit: I guess it's not strange since normal fastpitch pitches don't hit the plate if they go through the strike zone so I've probably never missed it even though I would have.
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:27pm.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
No disrespect for the slow pitch umpires on this board who do things right, but why is it that the slow pitch game seems to be overrun with this kind of umpiring?

It is rare to see this kind of made up mechanics and running commentary by a plate umpire in the fast pitch games (by my experience, anyway). There are a few around here who insist on calling "inside", "outside", etc., instead of "ball", but that is about as far as it goes.
If it's beer league, I say go for it!

What ever you do to get you through that night mare is good to go!

Double fist pump with a throat slice and a flying double safe call..

Thats good to go!

For the beer league....Does it really matter?

Of course not. Survival of whatever it takes.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

So when my wife gets home from her work today (school teacher) she tells me one of her co-workers is getting a "new set of boobs."

I ask the obvious question.

"Why does she want two slow pitch umpires on her chest?"

Even better, she got the joke.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
So when my wife gets home from her work today (school teacher) she tells me one of her co-workers is getting a "new set of boobs."

now that's funny!
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
No, I wouldn't say it usually passes through the strike zone unless you are working the Monday-Wednesday Munchkinland League.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hey! I resemble that remark!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Did she ask if you were making a joke or volunteering?
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 11:12am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

She must be a keeper then!