The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 03, 2008, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

ASA vs NFHS

ASA does not appear to have a malicious contact rule. At least I don't recall reading it and I can't find it. So what is the ruling on this play for both ASA and FED.

R1 rounds third and is heading for home. Catcher, without the ball, is up the third base line blocking the runners path to home. There is no doubt about obstruction. The runner, instead of going around the catcher, runs her over.

What do you have for ASA?

What do you have for Fed?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sun Aug 03, 2008, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

yes asa has a malicious contact rule.. this scenario would not be crash INT.

ASA also has USC.

Not sure what I'd have in your play for either ASA or Fed... possibly USC.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Ejection(s)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest
R1 rounds third and is heading for home. Catcher, without the ball, is up the third base line blocking the runners path to home. There is no doubt about obstruction. The runner, instead of going around the catcher, runs her over.

What do you have for ASA?
Given the fact that it's clearly obstruction, runner would be safe at home (assuming she actually touches the plate). The only thing that would supersede OBS is if she commits INT, which she did not. Run counts.

Then after the play is over, I would consider tossing R1 for unsportsmanlike conduct. Have to see it, but if she lowers her shoulder or makes an obvious attempt to cream F2, then she's gone (once the play is finished).

Separate question for the group: could F2 also be guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct and tossed as well?

Scott
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatten
Given the fact that it's clearly obstruction, runner would be safe at home (assuming she actually touches the plate). The only thing that would supersede OBS is if she commits INT, which she did not. Run counts.

Then after the play is over, I would consider tossing R1 for unsportsmanlike conduct. Have to see it, but if she lowers her shoulder or makes an obvious attempt to cream F2, then she's gone (once the play is finished).

Separate question for the group: could F2 also be guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct and tossed as well?

Scott
I'm not tossing F2 just for committing obstruction. I've already got a book-rule penalty for that. Now, if F2 turns/gets up and then goes after the runner who just leveled her - yeah, now I have 2 to toss.

edited to fix damage by fat fingers.

btw, if I see a lowered shoulder or some other offensive move by the runner in preparing for the crash, I'm going to also see that as interference and not allow the run - in addition to USC.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Not in Fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbatten
The runner is out for malicious contact. Per rule 8-6-14 "Malicious contact supersedes obstruction". But is the ruling the same in ASA? I can't find "malicious contact" in the rule book. Where is USC defined? I find Crash Interference, but that only applies when the fielder has the ball.

Last edited by rwest; Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 10:49pm.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest
The runner is out for malicious contact. Per rule 8-6-14 "Malicious contact supersedes obstruction". But is the ruling the same in ASA? I can't find "malicious contact" in the rule book. Where is USC defined? I find Crash Interference, but that only applies when the fielder has the ball.
USC is left to the umpire's discretion in ASA. Not everything needs to be strictly defined.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Aug 05, 2008, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

True, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
USC is left to the umpire's discretion in ASA. Not everything needs to be strictly defined.
You can't call someone out for something that doesn't exist or isn't codified. Somewhere it should say USC is an ejectionable offense. It doesn't have to define everything that is USC, but it should mention USC somewhere.