The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 08:55pm
MPLAHE

"The ball is put in play at the POI if the last foul of a false double foul was a double personal foul."

scenario: A1 shoots and is fouled by B1, basket not good. A2 and B3 are also called for a double foul while wrestling for position. My interpretation would be that A1 would shoot free throws, which would be the POI. Is that correct?
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 09:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by MPLAHE
"The ball is put in play at the POI if the last foul of a false double foul was a double personal foul."

scenario: A1 shoots and is fouled by B1, basket not good. A2 and B3 are also called for a double foul while wrestling for position. My interpretation would be that A1 would shoot free throws, which would be the POI. Is that correct?
If all three fouls happened at the same time, I don't know whatinthehell you would call it, but I don't think it would be a false double foul. Then again, maybe it is.

Why didn't you pick an easy scenario - like A2 & B3 committing a double foul during one of A1's free throws? That is a false double foul and also fits question #63.

You got the answer right anyway. The answer to #63 is True- the ball goes to the POI.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 09:20pm
MPLAHE

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

If all three fouls happened at the same time, I don't know whatinthehell you would call it, but I don't think it would be a false double foul. Then again, maybe it is.

Why didn't you pick an easy scenario - like A2 & B3 committing a double foul during one of A1's free throws? That is a false double foul and also fits question #63.

You got the answer right anyway. The answer to #63 is True- the ball goes to the POI.
JR -you're right, my scenario is a bit strange, but you could have a double whistle with one official calling the shooting foul and the other calling the double foul underneath.

Anyway, under your scenario, if A1's free throw is the second of two, if made it would be a throw in for B, if missed we go to the arrow, correct??
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 09:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

JR -you're right, my scenario is a bit strange, but you could have a double whistle with one official calling the shooting foul and the other calling the double foul underneath.

Anyway, under your scenario, if A1's free throw is the second of two, if made it would be a throw in for B, if missed we go to the arrow, correct??
Sounds good to me.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

I agree with JR that you picked an awkward example. JR's example is nice and clear.

However, if I had to make a ruling on your scenario I'd call it a simultaneous foul, one of which is a double foul. NO FTs are awarded and due to the new rule the game is resumed under the POI. Since the try by A1 was unsuccessful, we use the AP arrow.