The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Nfhs Q 75

I don't have the test in front of me, but Q75 reads something like this:
A makes a basket, B takes ball behind end line and attempts throw in, on the throw in A intentionally kicks ball. The ensuing throw in will be a spot throw in. T F

In my foolishness to try and guess what NFHS wanted I answered True and of course was wrong according to the answer key.

Can someone explain how this can be an exclusively true or false answer.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIump50
A makes a basket, B takes ball behind end line and attempts throw in, on the throw in A intentionally kicks ball. The ensuing throw in will be a spot throw in. T F

In my foolishness to try and guess what NFHS wanted I answered True and of course was wrong according to the answer key.

When the defense violates and the offense has a throw-in where they can run the baseline, they retain that right. It is not a spot throw-in after the kicking violation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It is false. Rule book 7-5 art.7.

If the defending team commits a violation or a common foul on the throw in after a made basket before the throwing team has ended the throw in or isn't in the bonus, then they would retain the same throw in provisions. This is only true on end line throw ins, obviously.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I cannot explain it because, based on the question *you* gave (which, as I understand it, is a paraphrase), there is no "exclusively" correct answer. As the others have pointed out, the issue is going to be where the throw in following the kicked ball is going to take place. If along a sideline, it is a designated spot throw in. If along the same endline as the original throw in attempt, the throw in is not going to be a designated spot throw in.

Perhaps the question on the test had an element that permitted an answer that is universally true....
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
It is false. Rule book 7-5 art.7.

If the defending team commits a violation or a common foul on the throw in after a made basket before the throwing team has ended the throw in or isn't in the bonus. This is only true on end line throw ins, obviously.

I'd accept that if I had not read the case book.

7-5.7 Situation B
scenario (b)

If the kick is at the division line B gets ball at the division line for a spot throw in.
Is the case book wrong?
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Your correct if it is a sideline throw in the thrower could never run anyway. Thats why I said it would only pertain to endline throw ins after scores. This is the only time the thrower can run or pass to a teamate
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
Your correct if it is a sideline throw in the thrower could never run anyway. Thats why I said it would only pertain to endline throw ins after scores. This is the only time the thrower can run or pass to a teamate
Q 75 specifically says the throw in is after a basket and B has end line privileges. On the throw in A intentionally kicks ball. When B throws in after this violation it will be a spot throw in. T or F
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Q 75 specifically says the throw in is after a basket and B has end line privileges. On the throw in A intentionally kicks ball. When B throws in after this violation it will be a spot throw in. T or F
False. A team violated by kicking the ball. Therefor the B team retains the right to run the END LINE or pass to a teammate behind the end line. These provisions would stay true as long as the throw in hasn't ended. In this case it didn't end because the first person to touch the ball was the A player who kicked it first.

The question would only be true if the end line throw in wasn't after a made basket which would mean it would be a spot throw in or a sideline throw in since all of these are spot throw ins. Then if the ball was kicked it would be a spot throw in nearest to where the violation occurred.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

I apologize for making this confusing.

I'd like to know if the NFHS answer key is wrong or if the case book is wrong.

The answer key says false. Therefore the throw in will be behind the end line and B will retain end line privileges.

Case book 7-5.7 Situation B gives this exact scenario.
In scenario (a) the kick is close to B on the end line and in (b) the kick is near the division line.
Ruling according to the case book:
(a) B gets throw in behind end line with privileges
(b) B gets throw in at division line Spot throw in

If the case book is correct then Q75 cannot be answered correctly. The Q does not indicate where the ball was kicked.

Bad question or incorrect ruling in case book?
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I apologize for making this confusing.

I'd like to know if the NFHS answer key is wrong or if the case book is wrong.

The answer key says false. Therefore the throw in will be behind the end line and B will retain end line privileges.

Case book 7-5.7 Situation B gives this exact scenario.
In scenario (a) the kick is close to B on the end line and in (b) the kick is near the division line.
Ruling according to the case book:
(a) B gets throw in behind end line with privileges
(b) B gets throw in at division line Spot throw in

If the case book is correct then Q75 cannot be answered correctly. The Q does not indicate where the ball was kicked.

The question could be more clear. Effectively you put the ball back in play nearest to the spot the violation happen. Reading your question I would assume the kick happenned @ the end line. Therefor I would answer false to the question.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Neither. Since the question says that it *will* be a spot throw-in, and there are times when it is not a spot throw in, the question is False -- which is what the answer key has
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

You're way overanlyzing the question.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Rule Number 1 for taking a True/False test. If the answer is not 100% Always True, it is false.

In this question, it could be a spot throw-in, if it was kicked near the division line, but if it remains on the endline the thrower still has the right to "run the endline".

Since it is not 100% true, the answer must be false.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 03:27pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:

I'd accept that if I had not read the case book.

7-5.7 Situation B
scenario (b)

If the kick is at the division line B gets ball at the division line for a spot throw in.
Is the case book wrong?
No, because if the violation occurred near the division line, that's where the throw-in would be from. You may only run the endline(s), not the sideline(s). Re-read the ruling in 7.5.7.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 03:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grail
Rule Number 1 for taking a True/False test. If the answer is not 100% Always True, it is false.

In this question, it could be a spot throw-in, if it was kicked near the division line, but if it remains on the endline the thrower still has the right to "run the endline".

Since it is not 100% true, the answer must be false.
Bingo!